Any fans of bourbon? Adults only please

I’ve never even considered adding a single malt to coke. I may need to give it a try.

3 Likes

I’m not much of a bourbon guy myself. Enjoy a spot of Maker’s every once in a while. When I was into scotch, I remember Auchentoshan being a favorite. Good stuff.

1 Like

There was a time when I had quite the extensive whiskey collection, but I rarely drink anymore so I have let most of it go. I have a few rare gems left that I can’t quite bring myself to get rid of.

These 3 are some of the heavy hitters left

8 Likes

It’s good! It’s called a Smokey Coke I believe

2 Likes

I really liked bruichladdich octomore if you are looking for a peat monster a touch above the standard offerings you mentioned. It’s also a little less on the radar compared to the big 3 islays you listed so it makes a nice conversation whiskey.

3 Likes

I’ve been looking for Octomore! Not available in my state unfortunately. I’ll keep an eye out when I go out of state though. I appreciate the suggestion

3 Likes

Of course, if you ever want to chew the fat about scotch, while I don’t drink anymore, I have had the fortune of trying more bottles than one can count and will gladly share any info or just talk in general about them, feel free to pm.

3 Likes

Allocation has destroyed availability on so much I used to drink. You could find the antique collection in May! Foresters Birthday for a couple months. Pappy’s 15 and rye year round. Weller 107 year round. I haven’t seen a bottle in years on a lot of them.

I posted some pictures in a thread somewhere.

I was a member of the Kentucky Bourbon Society in the 90’s but didn’t like any of it. I was new to drinking and remember buying the full set with gift boxes etc. It was - Knob Creek, Basil Hayden, Booker, and Bakers. They told of vanilla, honey, hints of oak, etc. etc. The wife and I tried the 1st and laughed. Taste like any other whiskey to us. Yuk. Now we don’t even like much under 100 proof and don’t mix it unless a bit of ice or water to bring it into proper form & full flavor.

5 Likes

To all the rye lovers that have graced the thread don’t sleep on New Riff’s ryes if they are available in your area. I will admit I have a fair few friends working there, but make no mistake the ryes they are producing are top notch and can go toe to toe with some of the best out there.

4 Likes

I appreciate the offer and I may just take you up on that. Scotch has been a bit more complicated to navigate for me.

2 Likes

They are good. I actually live about 20 minutes from their distillery.

2 Likes

So you are in my back yard! A heads up party source carries Octomore

2 Likes

That is good to know! I’ve been checking their website but it isn’t the easiest to navigate

1 Like

Nice collection! I’d give my whole yoyo collection for a bottle of Pappy 20 year, lol

1 Like

Don’t tease!

4 Likes

Before I drank mine offers were $2500. I think it’s more now. The 15yr is pretty much as good btw.

2 Likes

I’m definitely more of a Rye guy due to my love of Manhattans, but I enjoy Bourbon on the rocks occasionally and sometimes even use it in my Manhattans instead of rye if I’m feeling it. My go to Bourbon is Four Roses Small Batch. It’s 90 proof (not a huge fan of anything sub 90 personally, since I have to pour what seems like way more to get me as buzzed) and it’s absolutely delicious. It’s what one of my favorite restaurants (Javiers) uses in their Manhattans despite being bourbon (I asked what they used since it was so good and have been a fan ever since). I always usually have Makers on hand for guests and the occasional on the rocks drink.

Also, I know we’re talking Bourbon, but I figured I’d mention that my go to rye whiskey is High West Double Rye. I’m not sure I like it on it’s own… but I haven’t tried ANYTHING that compliments the Carpano Antica I use for vermouth quite as well in order to make the perfect Manhattan (but not literally a perfect Manhattan :joy:).

7 Likes

I have a really solid liquor store in town that keeps some nice bourbons in stock. I feel like a kid in a candy store when I’m there. Pics for reference.

7 Likes

Sheeeeesh what a great selection!

1 Like

I see Four Roses Small Batch Select and Mellow Corn, the only two bottles you need lol

3 Likes