Any car guys?

First car was a 1968 Camaro, along with that owned a Thunderbird, Cougars, Mustangs. My Dad raced for a long time growing up, seemed every weekend we were at the drag strip or a car show. He had a 1964 Dodge 440 drag car. Him and my Grandpa restored a 1940 Mercury Coupe 8, and our family also has a 1964 Dodge Polara 500.

I’ve been eyeing Porsche 356’s and Ford F1’s for about 20 years now, should’ve bought them both 20 years ago when you could get them for almost nothing :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

My rare bird. # 1049 of 2150 ever made.

It got a new 3.0 conversion and we ran the 2.5 heads and made 11.5:1 static compression. ( the heads had enough and blew the spark plug threads out on 2 and 5 )

I miss it.

Absolutely fun car. Honda’s hated it.

7 Likes

Sweet, that’s a steal for that price. Over the couple of years that I owned the 2003 330ci I never had to change a part twice. If you can do your own work with aftermarket parts then you are away. I installed the springs on the G5 myself which saved a lot of money, and I just got the alignment (and new tires too) from the shop. Nice find.

@WorkFromHome yeah buying it at 13 years old means changing a lot of failing parts. But again I never changed a part twice over 2 years, so there’s that.

Also Gentry said something about cars and driving a few months ago… (timestamped)

1 Like

it’s in pretty great shape for a 20yr old car say hello to Paris or Midnight…she likes having alter egos depending how she is running…Paris I smooth but midnight is chugging along ferociously eating the road…lol

6 Likes

Do trucks count!? I’m 2 years into building out my 05 Tacoma. I wrench on it at leas once a month, and will someday turn it into a jumping/ race truck! Including an ls swap. It’s still got a long way to go, but until then it’s a great dd that can handle a little punishment.

On a separate note, who knew flywheels, and yo-yos had so much in common with weight distribution!

6 Likes

Well, I’m kind of an :electric_plug: electric car guy these days, if that counts…

5 Likes

You guys are all so lucky, my future car is probably a used 1,500 € fiat panda

2 Likes

Not only do I have a challenger rt but I have a 88 jeep Comanche and a 87 dodge w150 power ram and I’m only 19 and bought all my self.

2 Likes

Heck yeah they do

Are you thinking what I’m thinking? A Titanium flywheel??

That’s awesome, I would likely own a Tesla if I could afford it and if I was a bit more set up and had a place to charge it. I think they would benefit greatly from offering every model with a manual gearbox version. Even an automatic gearbox would improve range significantly. I’m glad to see Tesla doing good things in California post-EV1 days.

I think you’d be surprised at how much you can get some of these cars for. Well, we have info of $400 for a 3-series so there’s that. I drove a 2001 Fiat Uno (similar to the OG Panda) for several months, nice light car that held its own against clay and sandy trails.

Cars are a lot like yo-yos in that each design serves a purpose, like weight vs. power vs. comfort vs. responsiveness (engine, pedal, steering), material science, etc. Positives and negatives to each one.

5 Likes

I will make this happen!!! Lol

1 Like

Damn! This 80s Comanches are amazing!!! Definitely on my wish list for the day I’m rich lol

my second s chassis I’ve owned

6 Likes

I used to own a Mini Cooper S. It was incredibly fun to drive but expensive and inconvenient to have repaired. Hope to own one again in the future.

2 Likes

20181001_081910

I used to sorta be a car guy… This was my ride until about a year ago. I was relocated for work to LA and literally within 15 minutes of driving the car off the transport flatbed, I got hit in an intersection. Both cars were completely totaled. He was going so fast he swiped out the sidewalk; front and side airbags deployed. I’m just happy no one got hurt.

Today, I’m completely carless and would like to stay this way as long as possible. (I Uber to work each way. It’s super convenient, less stressful and cheaper than driving in LA.)

11 Likes

That’s terrible!! Such a beautiful car to loose by careless drivers!

1 Like

Isn’t Uber technically subsidizing that with VC capital, plus not paying drivers well? I dunno man, at minimum I’d switch to Lyft. Uber is a super sketchy company. I am uncomfortable supporting them in any way personally.

3 Likes

Ayyyy my people :slight_smile:
2011 bk1 Genesis owner here. It’s my baby that I’ve been slowly transforming into my dream little by little. Definitely knew when I was getting a new car that I wanted something a bit less common and something I could do a lot with. Happy with how it’s coming along.

12 Likes

@codinghorror never looking into this. Interesting. I never use Uber, but sounds sketch

1 Like

Actually, both companies subsidize their rides:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/F176639C-DB03-11E9-B3F8-84F0D56DB878

Personally I have no problem as a consumer supporting a company that subsidizes its business with investment capital. If the company is doing so transparently, it’s up to Wallstreet and silicon Valley to wizen up.

I’ve ridden Uber countless times (and had a lot of time in cars to think about this). I’ve also spoken to dozens of drivers about their experiences with Uber. Here’s what I’ve learned firsthand:

• I find that the majority of drivers in LA aren’t full time and use Uber to flexibly supplement their income. Most drivers really appreciate this.

• Almost all the drivers are happy driving. At least that’s how they appear and how they respond when I ask them how long they’ve been driving, do they enjoy it, etc.

• Uber corporate had/still has? a toxic culture, but it seems to be getting better since the founder ceo, Travis Kalanick was forced out in 2017. He was sketch for sure.

• I ask almost all of them whether they also drive Lyft and maybe half drive for both services. The overwhelming consensus is that driving for one is the same as driving for the other. Given such a tight and transparent market, I’m not surprised that fierce competition has driven both companies (which have the same business model) to offer the same compensation.

• Despite paying the same, most drivers that I’ve chatted with prefer Uber because there’s a lot more volume and work than on lyft.

• It’s better for the environment for me to ride share vs. drive myself each way to work.

• I make it a point to tip for good service.

TLDR, Uber and Lyft are basically the same. They both provide a valuable service in a competitive and growing market. Given that so much subsidization is happening its apparent the existing business model is unsustainable, but that’s a problem for investors to be concerned with, not something that I feel the need to have a moral judgement on. To each their own though!

Jason

6 Likes

Here it is today.

9 Likes