Anti-yo worth it? Discussion

Yep, and then there was the spacer incident. I love Kyle’s work and own a few examples.

1 Like

You sell and you decide the price … but, you will never have my money! :joy:

1 Like

If I had a Bapezilla the only trade I’d accept is $350 plus a whole Wagyu cow. Anything else is a lowball “IMHO”

2 Likes

You couldn’t afford it anyway. That’s why I’m keeping it for that bad ■■■ trade.

:smile: I think you mean that regardless of the amount … you’re not interested in selling it, right?
In this case, I understand perfectly, it’s the exact same thing I think of my yoyos …

3 Likes

Thanks for tidying up, I realized from various posts that I had hijacked the original discussion in the OT.
I apologize for the extra work created.

2 Likes

No extra work Fabrizio. It’s a good discussion.

4 Likes

those do not look nearly as pretty as these… imho… simplistic, yet beautiful pieces of functional and sometimes dysfunctional art

@fatguysnacks on instagram :grin:

3 Likes

I could take you a thousand photos with a thousand yoyos of a thousand different brands and get the same result … or “simplistic (or complex) and beautiful pieces of art” … so I’m sorry but I still don’t see anything that is a step more in other than in other. :man_shrugging: :grimacing:

p.s. beyond the only artistic beauty, in that photo there are yoyos that besides you, are owned by a some hundred people and that you could often even meet … in that display case instead you can find almost all objects that for dimensional characteristics (those that let’s call specifications) or chromatic, if you wanted to see what impact they have on reality, game, visual effects … wherever you are in the world, you should necessarily go to his house … and only there,
this has great collectible value for me, such as to deduce an “important” price, perhaps.

1 Like

This is a demand curve:

As the price increases the demand falls. For example at a price of 1 there are 400 units in demand, while at a price of 8 there are less than 50 units in demand.

As you can see even at a high price of 8, there is still some demand. A buyer who would only buy at a price of 1 can certainly wonder to himself why anyone would buy at a price of 8, but he cannot negate the choice of people who buy at that price.

No one has to convince him to buy at a higher price and he doesn’t have to convince anyone that the higher price is unjustified, it’s a personal choice, and neither side negates the other.

It’s not good or bad or ludicrous, it’s based on the fact that people have a different amount of disposable income, different views as to what is desirable, different cultural pulls, different preferences, and so on.

In the case of Anti-yo yoyos it’s not hard to see why the brand has become iconic (or iconoclastic depending on your perspective and depending on whether we could apply such terms to yoyoing). In my opinion it’s one of the most recognisable and appealing brands, and that doesn’t only have to do with the beauty and simplicity of their designs and quality of their yoyos. The denim pouch. The red heart side effects. The contrasting half swaps. The Buzine$$ that was wrapped in a $100 bill.

The beauty of it though is that these factors could mean nothing to you, and that’s fine, and you find yourself lower down the curve. But you cannot negate the many collector’s for whom an OG Bapezilla is a jewel in their collection. It is simply a function of choice and preference.

11 Likes

This debate is part of the largest gripe that I have with the yoyo world (one that many of you have already seen me go on about multiple times, so I’ll make it brief).

That is an obsession with acquiring yoyos rather than using them. Now don’t get me wrong, I love looking for and getting new yoyos, but I look for yoyos that I think I would like to play with, not just ones that are collectible for their own sake. It seems like many people who only focus on collecting didn’t have very high skill levels due to a chronic lack of throwing. A condition with one easy cure!

There’s a happy middle ground between the competitor, who only focuses on skill, and some collectors who don’t care about skill at all.

As the yoyo doctor (who is a very fine example of someone of that middle ground) put it: “I have yet to see a yoyo come with the tricks attached.”

So in my humble opionion, even if they have that “old school vibe” or are “subtle pieces of art”, no most of these anti yos aren’t worth it. I’m sure they’re fun, but I don’t think THAT much of an emphasis should be put on their value.

Of course feel free to disagree with me and call me a weirdo that just doesn’t get it :smile:
It’s all good.

8 Likes

I have to agree AntiYo are total garbage, can’t believe anyone would own them. I’m willing to pay shipping so that they can all be sent to me to be properly recycled so that no one can be bothered with these being in the BST’s anymore. @fatguysnacks247 you’ve already got my address, just let me know your Paypal so I know where to send the $10 for shipping to :smirk:

6 Likes

beyond analysis and comparison, are they yours?
congratulations for the photo and anyway yes, they make their figure, they are beautiful clean and simple objects (in the sense they are not aesthetically heavy and pompous).
The only one that for my tastes “out of tune” and I also wanted to play more vlte, since a friend of mine close to me, is Business … personally, it will be for chromatic choices or shapes, aesthetically it has me always made to think of a “cheap chinese yoyo” … even though I know it’s not like that and I don’t like how it plays anyway.

1 Like

@AaronW no need to insure those turds :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

guy, you come in every topic with this gripe… add something different :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Yet somehow this topic always seems to come up. Given that this is the case, what I’m saying is entirely relevant in every instance. I’m sorry that you disagree with it though.
Let’s keep it chill man.

1 Like

really you just seemed miffed the sumo, et al don’t have the same cache’… a jackson pollock is no better than what i cleaned myself up with after breakfast… :rofl:

if it’s not worth it don’t buy it :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

RE: Title

IMO, not really. Granted I haven’t played any ‘old’ Anti-Yos, the only models I’ve tried are the Bape.2, SE YWET, DRI YWET, Viszilla, and Mechabapezilla. I felt they were, for the most part, a bit overpriced (with the exception of the Vis and DRI YWET, given their coatings). Despite the very cool art design, I felt the Mechabape is outrageously overpriced, given the design and performance (fairly simple and fairly disappointing, respectively).

Of course, I do recognize the ‘collectability’ value of certain yoyos. Over the years I’ve slowly fallen deeper and deeper into the ‘collector’ camp, though I’d like to think I’m not that bad with a yoyo. I’ve certainly overpaid for yoyos that I desperately wanted, however.

I’d love to try an OG Bape, given the hype its received over the years, but I can’t help but feel as though I’d be letdown; especially considering I’d have to pay a fair bit more due to the hype factor.

I don’t mind paying a premium price for a premium product, in fact I prefer it over the well-performing ‘budget’ option. But I think Anti-Yo is lacking the premium performance part, in general.

8 Likes

but I understand this and consider it too … what I can’t understand is why these details have transformed these simple objects, like others, into “icons” and many other details, probably even more powerful, in other brands , have not succeeded in this aim and have never been recognized?
The $ 1 minced or $ 100 banknotes are actually something striking and unique … a denim case and a stylized logo on a hub … forgive me, it doesn’t seem to me anything special … For the packaging what should we do with the Crucial Milk / Cream?
To expose it to MoMA, if we want to be objective then, that is a stroke of genius not a denim bag, and the fact that DocPop made it by hand, for my vision, does not help in this “iconic construction”.
How many of you have ever paid attention or manage to “mythologize” for this reason, the simplicity and the concept behind the Yoyorecreation graphics of the “early periods”, an example:
Yoyorecreation (builder) meet Shinichiro Ohnishi (player) (from this is born) Dreadnought.
This is a detail that in my eyes makes the object special… the concept of attention and motivation that led to the birth of that object, its why of existing and it makes sense!
Really how many of you have considered this detail for what it is? how many of you attribute an “iconic” meaning to Dreadnought for this detail of care and attention?
This has to be true for Anti-yo but not for the rest of the brands it … and this also affects their perceived value …
I don’t accept this, that’s it, I can’t help it.

2 Likes

4 Likes