Anti-yo worth it? Discussion

I am of the opinion that Sovereing and all Anti-yo are among the most inexplicably overrated objects (mind you, I said objects, not necessarily yoyos) ever made by the human being. :grimacing: :roll_eyes:
At least IMHO …

2 Likes

i scoff at that considering kanye west makes albums and people paid money for beanie babies… and that’s just the start of the list…

2 Likes

Mint? Several hundred dollars.

2 Likes

We must not make lists of absurdities in the world … we would never end, I will just analyze things.
The Sovereign has the great merit of being the first titanium yoyo proposed at a considerably low price, worked with quality and where, at least in the intentions, we have tried to exploit the potential of this material, creating it with thin walls and bringing all the weight on the outside … I say “at least in the intentions” because ultimately this choice of position of the masses leads to a rather disappointing result, it is a yoyo that plays sufficiently well, as any medium quality aluminum yoyo would do … nothing more.
If I could play with my eyes closed I could in no way say that I am using a titanium yoyo.

Anti-yo produced yoyo which in 2005-2006 could have been innovative but which for many years have become anachronistic objects.
The first two models were put into production despite having serious design defects which resulted in large playability limits (incorrect tolerance of the axis seat for the Fluchs with related vibration problems and the need to coat the axis with Teflon or tape adhesive, incorrect tolerance of the bearing seat for the Eetsit with the problem of sliding the string between the bearing and the shell).
Certainly not limited runs, from 225 to 450 pieces (excluding Gouda / BSP or particularly rare versions such as hard coating).
I’m sorry but for years I have seen these objects obtain prices and interest which, in my opinion and, above all from an objective point of view, absolutely do not deserve … and I don’t think it will ever stop “amaze me”.

1 Like

these are pieces referenced in time that have become symbols of where some, but not all, throwers are feeling comfortable… more modern throws are being produced with an ‘organic’ design. anti-yo made efforts after these pieces were released to rectify these issues. as a consumer - even down the road - i appreciate that from a company. their ethos, ‘anti-yo’, smarmy as it is… reminds me of how the ‘obey’ campaign caught on… it’s quite hilarious…

the pieces themselves, simplistic pieces of art. striking in themselves, yet subdued. not there to ‘amaze’ anyone, but to provide a service… and doing the best they can at it. consistent in their inconsistency.

if you want to hear my feelings on peaks, @FourCorner can fill you in… or i will…

yeah, sooooooo many other yoyos came out around that time period. i wonder where they are :man_shrugging: i’ll try them out, give them a fair shake. but, what made them special? what made them stand out? their finish? their customer service? their… what? YOU amaze ME.

and, if you’re going to reference ‘yoyos’ as ‘objects’ not ‘yoyos’, then get in the game for an entire list of absurdities. otherwise, keep it on topic.

2 Likes

kanyes first album is :fire: though

1 Like

I only read, I just woke up and I am going to work … I will be able to answer you in a much more complete way … in those years many yoyos will come out, yoyos like the Oxy 4 (or 3 of 2002), the Hicoo West Uranium, very interesting and innovative YoyoJam (I would not want to bother the Titan Gold) … all objects that in my opinion brought as many innovations and quality as and often much more than Anti-yo … with a common feature at least … they did not need such attentive customer service, as they were well tested and any problems (assuming they had never been there) resolved before putting them on the market … as they normally should.

1 Like

many which are crumbling to pieces

you just wanted an answer… i don’t need to go tit-for-tat with you post after post, nor am i going to. i know what came out - i have most of them, including the oxy 3 & 4… and oodles of others. just because you don’t understand or it doesn’t tickle your fancy… regardless of what the reasoning is of which i gave several…

faberge’ eggs, old coins, baseball cards, vintage wines, BEANIE BABIES, board games, old metal toys, hummels… like, really man… all of these OBJECTS with a value attributed to them based on their place in history, cultural significance, artistic value, scarcity, demand, fuzziness… :man_shrugging:t3::man_shrugging:t3::man_shrugging:t3:

i also don’t see anyone tagging in with yyj or hicco for collaboration runs… you don’t have to like it, or understand it… it’s just rock ‘n roll, pops :wink:

1 Like

Well, then we thank Anti-yo for creating the world of yoyo as we know it today.
All the others were there just to make numbers (even if they perhaps wasted a year and a half of time between prototypes and tolerances in order not to run into serious and coarse errors like those of their first models … See Sumo for an example)
P.S. Collaborations? Collaborations in which the “limits” of a more noble and performing material are forced to obtain exactly what had been done with simple aluminum? I honestly would have preferred not to see such things. :roll_eyes:

cool, got one for me to try?

1 Like

have you lost your memory? :blush:

P.S. do you have an Oxy3?
congratulations, that’s really hard to find!

2 Likes

yes i do :grin::grin:

i’m aware of the link, and the sumo… get me one though :man_shrugging:

i’m a big fan of devil’s advocate. arguably my favorite game. hence this exercise… i’d love to try the sumo, but if you’re not making them for me to try one now, or then… i can’t really comment on its significance. and, the mark it made on history / yoyo history / cultural… whatever… it’s just that, a great/awesome yoyo called the sumo that hit all these great parameters and amazing engineering feats and… who was that made by again? :thinking: :wink:

how many were made for me to try out then, and now? you want people singing its praises and paying big dollars for it, give them a reason to… you don’t sell the steak, you sell the sizzle.

2 Likes

I’m honest, and I know it’s my limit, but I have understood little of what you ask me, if you look for it I think you could find one, there in the United States (outside the Italian hype and nationalisms) often found themselves in passed at very reasonable prices (a Lignano edition a few years ago returned to Italy, purchased by a friend of mine at a price of 60-70 ). The vision that you have in the US for Anti-yo is the same as all the others for the products made in their countries of belonging (I read last night of which years @Myk_Myk sold an AYYC green Pyro for 400 … at that crazy price, where else could he sell it if not in Switzerland).
If you try to stay in the objectivity then you get to see what would be the proper and honest value for everyone of each object … because in the end everything made history and culture, not just a few objects, and if they were few, then they must having written a new page of history in that sector … and this is not the case with Anti-yo, the Sumo or of almost all the yoyos that are sold at absurd prices today.
These two yoyos were bought in about 2010, by this Italian collector (the same who after many years sold me the Sumo proto light),
Imgur

He bought them in a sales stock of a Swiss collector,

(photo of the collection offered for sale at the time)

You can comment on the photo to ask him how much It paid them then … I won’t tell you just because you wouldn’t believe me and you would think I’m trying to “bring water to my mill”.
Both the seller and the buyer were perfectly aware of what it was.
That is the real and fair price of an object.
I would never have agreed to buy a Sumo for $ 300, it would have been madness, and I wouldn’t do it for a Bapezilla, it’s not a question of history, culture, availability of funds or something like that, it’s just a matter of logic and knowing how to evaluate an object for what it really is.
I think so and I don’t want to convince myself or support things that never existed … then the world is beautiful because it is varied.

4 Likes

i think i may be losing a bit in what you ask too, but what is and was paid doesn’t matter… $20? ok, fine… many artists die starving, poor or alone. basquiat, van gogh… or warhol? screen prints? i have worked in screen printing, and there is NO EFFIN WAY the value attributed to HIS works exceeds the value based on other works i have seen, been involved in, or I MYSELF HAVE PRODUCED, as an artist or in labor, and both.

you cannot look at the pieces objectively bud. apparently, you cannot look at ANYTHING in yoyo objectively. vibe as a measurable or definable construct, if wood is better than metal, string… as an engineer, i like looking at facts objectively… i haven’t found anyone else that likes to do that here… it’s all subjective… this said,

antiyo are functional pieces of art. some, even many, were dysfunctional. that doesn’t lend any less credence to them as a brand, people, collectible, yoyo, toy, historical/cultural significance, on and on and on… people like what they like :man_shrugging: i’m not trying to ‘defend antiyo’, i dont care really, i like them. i explained why earlier, other people value them for different reasons, not sure why… you just seem burnt about it.

as functional art, this can be said about many yoyos. but, i haven’t seen someone ‘proudly display their beautiful sumo on a shelf’. not saying they are not… get me one, maybe i will :wink:

i want a sumo, i’ll pay whatever market value is… or trade… whatever :man_shrugging:. just get me a damn sumo!

2 Likes

You write it as an absolute datum … I don’t know how many, in the world, have this opinion. :roll_eyes:

(P.S. other brands, with a history of longevity and successes different from Anti-yo, for similar malfunctions, have made “tabula rasa” and started again with another brand … remember 44re:creation?)

because you don’t live in Italy! :joy:
(and I also think that @yoyojoe and his brother are not of this opinion)
otherwise you would have seen images like this for many years

except for those marked with a red dot (the Orange Sumo although it is standard is still very rare), all the others, Sumo or Plug-in, are all prototypes or unique pieces.
I don’t even know Italian collectors who show with great pride an Anti-yo in its showcase … but I know many who wonder why those absurd prices for such “normal” objects.

To help you find a Sumo to buy … You ave a PM…

4 Likes

AntiYo is an acquired taste. Plain and simple. Either you own it or you believe in it or you wish you did. I’ve got some, had many more in the past, but it’s looking more and more that I’m going to be buried with them. Anyway I’ve been on board since Higby sold me the flamed blue BapeZilla all those years ago.

5 Likes

I also think this (I started by saying that they are overrated, not bad), I just say that “the myth” cannot bury reality and objectivity … when I see a bapezilla sold for $ 350 or more … I think just that this happened, and honestly it seems to me ridiculous IMHO

4 Likes

Personally would say Kyo made the first low priced titanium with the TiPhiter. Of course it wasn’t Sovereign level prices but it was considerably cheaper than prior titaniums and started the trend.

2 Likes

I want more than that for my last minty BapeZilla.

2 Likes

taste! I forgot the TiPhiter … :grimacing:
thanks! :wink:

1 Like