Another Delrin ... this one got away from me

The awesome One Drop guys set me up with some new axle nuts they designed to try out in my delrin yoyos. The nut is a very cool design that was intended to serve as both an axle nut and a bearing seat (the new is on the right, the Y-Factor style nut is on the left).

For an aluminum yoyo, it’s a brilliant design. For a delrin yoyo, the walls have to be too thin to use the new nut as a bearing post. But David of OD thought that it would look cool as a hub, and I agreed. Unfortunately, I’ve not had much time in the past month to experiment, but I had a free day today so I went to work on a design that someone had asked me to adapt. Boy did I miss the mark!

Diameter: 55mm
Width: 44mm
Weight: 77 grams (yes, Seventy7 … my calculations, it seems, were erroneous)
Response/Bearing: Crucial pad spacers, C bearing, ghost pad

The fellow who asked me to do this was looking for something in the 64-ish gram range. (Sorry Ben! I’ll have to go back to the drawing board …) In any event, even though it didn’t come out according to plan, it’s a blast to play and I think the nuts look great as hubs. Thanks for those OD guys! I’m looking forward to experimenting with them further, and to giving Alex’s new axle system a whirl.

Comparison shot with an FHZ:

Alright Jrod, When do I get one? lol

Agreed, what do we have to do to get one? :smiley:

You have to call dibs. Oh, by the way.

DIBS!

Thanks guys! These are a lot of fun to do when it’s just one or two, and there isn’t any pressure for them to be perfect. I imagine that might change if I were to do these for pay, especially with the exacting standards so many folks in the yoyo community seem to have. I mean, you guys have seen often enough how people totally flip out and make 10 threads if their new polycarb yoyo has a little vibe :D.

heh, I want one too. You are very talented when it comes to delrin :wink: