Anodizing Rubbing Off Suddenly

Quick update: IT’S HAPPENED AGAIN!

I bought another Wide Angle, this time ordered from YYE so presumably a different batch. Different color as well. (Aqua instead of the Blue w/splash.) Received the yoyo Friday. Been throwing it since, have perhaps an hour or two of playtime on it w/little thumb grinding, mostly fingerspins and Kwijibo practice.
Threw a thumb grind on it just now and voila! Blue chalk-thumb!
It’s not as drastic as the first one, there’s no visible damage to the yoyo’s finish yet and it’s not blowing off onto the bare skin of my thumb at this point. So I stopped playing this throw temporarily, I’ll pick up some distilled water and m4 bolts today and try the boiling trick.

Has anyone else experienced this anomaly with the Shutter Wide Angle in particular, or am I just the kiss of death for this poor yoyo? I’ve got several other throws (YYF K.O., Graviti Vulcan, Basecamp Expedition) that I thumb-grind on regularly and have not had this issue. Maybe it’s something to do with the semi-gloss finish of the Wangle? My other grindy throws all have more blasted finishes.

I should have time to do the boiling operation this week, will update afterward!

Ivan

4 Likes

By any chance is where you’re at super humid? I had this happen with a mantis from onedrop and they said humidity etc could have this effect if I remember correctly.
Havent left the yoyo in rain either? Haha.

1 Like

Nah, I’m in Wisconsin where it’s actually pretty dry right now.
I did wipe the yoyo off with a damp rag yesterday and then dried it with a paper towel because I was eating while playing and got something annoyingly sticky on my hands, but that’s the only moisture that the yoyo’s been exposed to. And the stickiness+wipe down was on the inner surfaces, not the outer cups since I wasn’t doing any grinding or fingerspins with the sticky hands.

Ivan

this has never happened with any of the yoyos I own and it’s not humidity or water that can do anything to them.
It is a defect in the anodizing process and in serial production, an error in one step … it becomes a serial error.
This is my thought.

1 Like

In other words, a 10,000rpm fortified vitamin-D grind equals “Kiss of Death.”

Also in my opinion, Chinese manufactures have generally become known “Notorious” for cutting corners when it comes to quality control measures and raw materials used if left unchecked. Lot of variables at play here. Hard to investigate and verify any inherent problems. Sucks that’s for sure.

I’d put the blame on China, and admittedly, I’m slightly prejudice and therefore fully endorse YYF’s recent efforts towards manufacturing in the USA.
Surely those local machinist and anodize people appreciate YYF thus far.

Trend setters are better and I’m Not at all surprised that YoYoFactory Reigns Supreme. And YoYoExpert to.

4 Likes

I’m sorry but I totally disagree with your assessment.
An excellent object does not need any nation behind it.
Chinese producers are capable and have the best materials and technologies at their disposal, but it also depends a lot on what you ask them and how much you want to spend to have them produce.
Try the yoyos produced by Top-Yo or Magicyoyo for example, on a Colossus VI I have one of the most beautiful and resistant anodizing of all those in my collection (and it’s a 7003, not really one of the simplest alloys to anodize) and on a Stealth a breathtaking translucent red color (even the 7075, quite capricious in this respect).

p.s. However, in the problems highlighted in this discussion, I do not think there is any relevance to where they were produced but I still think that they were problems in a phase of coloring, errors that can happen but that, for correctness and seriousness, those in charge should take into account load.

2 Likes

I don’t think my fingernails are exactly fortified, actually they’re on the weak side. If I let them grow out I can actually flex my pinky nail down to the tip of the finger. Waiting on the list for Adamantium injections but the doc says I’m not a priority. :smiley:

I can’t blame China for this either, as all the yoyos that I’ve been thumb-grinding for months (actually, every yoyo that I own) is Chinese.

It’s hard to believe that it’s an across-the-board issue with the Shutter WA either because others should be experiencing the same problem and, as far as I can see, I’m the only one. With two different throws, in two different colorways, from two different distributors! It really baffles me.

Ivan

2 Likes

Just finishing up the boiling of the Aqua one! Will update after some play.

Ivan

1 Like

Aaaand the problem is still there.

Any other suggestions? This is frustrating.

I am become death, destroyer of Wangles.

Ivan

7 Likes

Did you try coating it with mayonnaise? Don’t try to skimp and use Miracle Whip as it doesn’t have the correct fat ratio. It has to be real mayo.

2 Likes

Just paint that thumbnail blue and you wont even notice it.

12 Likes

My assumption would be the aluminum oxide layer was not etched deep enough to fully encapsulate the dye. If thats the case there is no fix to this other than re-blasting and anodizing again.

But im no anodizer, grain of salt here, just my two cents.

2 Likes

Woah, yoyos that paint your nails? Is this the next big thing?

2 Likes

Joking aside though, we can definitely swap it out or do a return for you. Feel free to send me a PM or contact us through email and we’ll take care of it.

6 Likes

That’s a very generous offer to accept the return. Props to YYE.

Or set it on fire. A glorious cleansing fire!

Please film and send to all for free hearts and imaginary internet cred. Maybe I should do that with the Flame nobody’s buying off my bst thread. . .

[Please burn responsibly]

1 Like

I agree with your hypothesis

p.s. just a curiosity, how long have you been in the water?
in the normal anodization process it should rest for about 20 minutes

1 Like

this does you a lot of honor, the seriousness and availability are a value that cannot be quantified, however great!

1 Like

Extremely generous, considering that I’ve boiled the yoyo which involved removing the response pads. Most places would tell me I was on my own after messing with the throw and they would be within their rights. YYE is definitely above and beyond with their customer service!

@persson I boiled it for about 40 minutes. Your first post suggested 20-30 so I figured eh, I’ll give it an extra ten.

Ivan

3 Likes

Excuse me, I did not remember if I had told you this figure or if you were able to grasp it from the video in Italian.
You have done everything correctly, I don’t know how to tell you ones also I believe that there was some problem with the previous phases of anodizing

It‘s what I suspected.

Top-notch YYE service to the rescue.
Let’s just hope the replacement features a proper anodization job.

2 Likes