Annoying yoyo brand names

Well I’m totally biased being a fan of snakes myself so I think the name is pretty dope lol.

2 Likes

It’s like the word fish.

The plural can be fish but also fishes.

I think it’s also important to note that CLYW made it part of common parlance by being a very cool yoyo company and they used it often. They might be a Canada based brand but they have international reach, as do other companies who used it before. That means I don’t really buy that argument anymore. It had just become another phrase that means yoyo.

1 Like

I think they mainly started using “return top” due to copywriter heat. They were know as Caribou Lodge YoYo Works initially. CLYW came due to the copywriter issue.

Interesting, that’s the first time I’ve seen “alternate” used in that name. I always thought it was “A” return top.

Whenever i see CLYW i think of the Orangutan off the everywhich way films, which is not very helpful on an annoying yoyo names thread.

Lol that was Clyde right?

1 Like

I understand that’s true, but it doesn’t change my point. They made it cool, so others followed.

1 Like

You may have misunderstood my post. I wasn’t trying to say it changed your point. I was just putting data out there.

1 Like

I’ve also only seen “A” return tops

2 Likes

Thankfully somebody else :smiley:
I sometimes wonder what happens - i see or hear something and i’m suddenly clicked into something not on topic.

2 Likes

maybe they are changing it over time, but when they launched it was def Alternate Return Tops.

Yoyo wiki also confirms.

3 Likes

In all my yoyo years i’ve never encountered anything yoyo related with a name that had caused me to feel anything close to being annoyed :man_shrugging:

Edit: NO MAN IM LYINGgggg

Yoyofreaks with all their edgy douchy yoyo and colorway names and stuff!!! Those did reaaaally annoyed me for like 2 seconds and the i forgot about it.

3 Likes

I know the wiki says that but that’s the only reference I could find. I remember the discussions when they started regarding their name versus Amplified Return Tops. I only remember it being called A return top. I think Jensen even said at one point that the name is “A return top” now but may evolve and change. Something like that.

3 Likes

In the OP, its listed there as well, and was not corrected by Jensen himself during the AMA.

3 Likes

Fair play, you right dawg

1 Like

:laughing: whats wrong with my name? You dont like snakes or yoyos?

9 Likes

It’s just a big mouthful. It doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.

Are you a Canadian brand?

1 Like

Technically a/Rt was first. I’ve got a Facebook Messenger conversation with Jensen where he said they were planning on calling their company “art”. This was awhile before Amplified. Thing was they never went public with their name for some time.

But that horse has been beat and discussed 100 different ways :rofl:

3 Likes

This here.

3 Likes

No we are usa based. Its named after the reticulated python. We are retic yoyo for short. I didnt like how reticulated yoyo sounded that is why I picked return top for the name. Website is reticyoyo.com and all yoyos are snake or reptile named as well

10 Likes