Amazing factual yoyo information source!

I just had to post this link because so many people struggle to decide what yo-yos to get.

Forget wasting time considering: mono, bi, tri-metal, Mag, 6061, 7075, Ti, widths, diameters, weights, price ranges, whatever.

This link obviously did a COMPREHENSIVE Worldwide, spare no expense, job of comparing All yo-yos currently existing on Earth today.

And… conveniently narrowed it down the the BEST 5 yo-yos of 2022!

I’m speechless…

13 Likes

Consider this fathers

5 Likes

Strings fail to stack up to the yo-yo itself.

what?

I mean, I appreciate that this is a very beginners’ guide. How long to cut the string, and all. I actually wonder what everyone thinks is the ideal yoyo to get someone interested? Should it be a looping-style yoyo or a butterfly?

And as far as the yo-yo ball goes, my 4yo son got a yo-yo ball from his grandma (without my consultation). I’ve tried a bunch of times to walk him through throwing and catching a Butterfly XT (because I have a couple of those lying around) and he’s got a decent throw, but doesn’t like to fail and won’t try more than a couple of times. I showed him one of the younger competitors form the last NYYC, and he’s actually started imitating the style, but without the yo-yo spinning. He started naming the ‘tricks’ and he flips it around back and forth, and around, and every once in a while flips it away from himself and says he “slingshotted” it. He also sometimes hits himself in the head. The last time he was talking about it to me, he asked me to buy him a yo-yo ball, because it broke, and i kind of fixed it a little, but now it’s lost. His birthday is coming up, and I don’t know if I should get him another yo-yo ball or maybe a looping yo-yo? or maybe a Yomega Brain (I had one of those when I was a kid)? I’ve let him throw my Daytripper before, but the last time I offered it, he just wanted to sling a dead yo-yo around, doing his tricks “trapeze”, “motorcycle”, and slingshot.

5 Likes

How about some Astrojax then @safetypin?
Soft, easy to untangle, durable and a lot of fun.
Perfect to sling around.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that a bot wrote this “best of” review. It sure reads like it.

6 Likes

That’s a cool idea. Thanks!

3 Likes

A bot called Amazon :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@safetypin if you are looking for some AJ inspiration…
He was always a source of ideas also for my 5A tricks.

2 Likes

Once you move above $20, you’re at the high end of the price scale for yo-yos.

If only…

4 Likes

Funny. If you scroll down in the article there’s a pic of three people doing Eiffel Tower. The one on the left looks like it’s a Hulk Smash Peak.

3 Likes

I thought it was, but looked up the author. Seems like a real person who lives in PA.

I think the idea yoyo to get somebody started should be a yoyo that is responsive. Why? Simple>

The first thing you need to instill an interest in throwing yoyos is to minimize the frustration caused by non responsive yoyos.

While some don’t actually consider it a trick, just throwing down the yoyo correctly and getting it back to the hand ‘is’ a trick.

And developing a decent throw down is the fundamental way to get the new yoyo player headed in the right direction.

If the yoyo comes back to you without struggling, it allows more quality time developing a good stroke and power on the throw.

Ive seen so many people over the years get instantly frustrated because they can’t get the yoyo back to their hand. Or some genius starts them off with a non responsive and teaches them ‘1’ bind. But, they never wired the basic throw down, so they attempt tricks that they dont have the spin time to complete because their initial throw ‘sucks’.

Crawl…walk… jog…run… fly… In almost any endeavor, a solid foundation is basic for success.

A good responsive throw in non wide organic shape is the best bet to get the ball rolling and keep interest.
Success builds confidence. Confidence builds enthusiasm. Enthusiasm makes players. Its a cycle.

5 Likes

“There are three different yo-yo shapes: imperial, butterfly, and modified. Each type has different pros and cons.”

1 Like

I know what will make him want to get the yo-yo spinning. Lights. I’ll get a couple of good loopers with lights.

1 Like

Actually there are only 30 yoyos in the world and 170 throwers. I was shocked to learn that but I guess the writer of the article knows what they’re talking about after TWELVE HOURS of “research” (how slow does this person read, I wonder??).

Joking aside, I met someone once whose job is to write articles just like this in order to clickbait people who are trying to read up on a given topic or product type. Revenue is generated from marks clicking on product links within the article.
She insisted that her articles “helped people by informing them” and that “they always did research before writing an article”. I called BS on that and told her that those articles are the opposite of informative, and reading product advertisements and a handful of Amazon reviews doesn’t count as research.

Personally I equate the organizations that produce these garbage articles with the scam call centers that try and strip unsuspecting victims of their money. Both prey on ignorance and have zero regard for the victim, making money off of services not rendered.

Ivan

2 Likes

Apparently I know a great yo-yo cause I have the best of the best, and I am value oriented as well since I own the best buy. I think the RBC that I keep hearing about must have come in 6th.

1 Like