Advice on traveling with a yoyo

I’m going on a short trip soon, and of course I’ll be taking a yoyo. I was wondering if anyone has specific advice on traveling with one.

Here are my thoughts:

• Don’t bring your most expensive one. I’ll bring the Grind Machine or the WHiP instead of the 888 or the Entheos.
  • Bring a few extra strings and probably 1 extra bearing.
  • Put it in your carry-on before you go through airport security.
  • If you’re throwing in the airport, like in any public place, watch out for people and have a fresh-enough string that you’re not going to send a yoyo zinging through a crowd into a giant plate glass window like I did in Chicago in 1992.
  • Bring two cheap yoyos instead of one. The whole point of bringing a cheaper one is you might lose it. If you lose it, you don’t want to have to stop throwing until you can find a vendor.

Any other advice or thoughts?

Thanks!

You said DON’T bring an expensive one. Depending on length I would take about 6. 4 okay and two very good. Just be careful with expensive ones.

when I went to new york a few weeks ago I brought a magic t5 (very cheap, but amazing performer) and my fools gold avalanche. didn’t end up using either that much while I was there, but still helped pass the time at the airport.
your list seems pretty sufficient though.

Is it hard to get through airport security with a yoyo? just wondering

No. I had a 54 with spikes just sitting in the tray going through security and they said nothing. Should be nice and easy.

I took 34 yoyos to worlds and they didn’t care…

Good call. I could have as nice a throw as I want, for the times when I’m not worried about trouble. Then I could have the one I take out on the street with me, with full awareness that I might lose that one.

Where I’m coming from with that particular thing is that I know I’m out of my routine when I’m traveling, and so I am a lot more likely to make a mistake like leaving something on a train or in a restaurant.