Advice on a simple Plastic 000 Mod?

Hey gang! I picked up a plastic 000 at Nats and I’m in love. My only gripe is that I’d like it to be heavier. I understand that my proposal will change the way it plays, which is why I’m asking this before I try, and making sure it is easily reversed.

Essentially I want to put flowable silicone (clear) in the rim cutouts on both sides. I understand the need for it to be as level as possible to avoid throwing one or both halves off balance, and am prepared for that. What I want to know is: can I peel the silicone off the plastic with the same ease as peeling it off of metal? Will the silicone cause any issues with the plastic?

Thanks in advance brain trust.

5 Likes

Nah you’ll be fine man, all that dried silicone should wipe off easily especially with the 000’s kinda surface

2 Likes

Thanks! Now I just need to stop throwing it for a while day. That’s the hardest part :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That and the fh1 are easily my two favorite plastics so I get it completely lol I’m throwing my 000 today as well

3 Likes

I’m trying to find purple flowable and all I see is dental composite for $90 lol

1 Like

I wouldn’t have thought of flowable and would have tried like hot glue for a temp thing to try.

1 Like

Yeah I’d say just go with Monkey Snot but I don’t see any purple in stock anywhere unfortunately. Every other color though, :joy: I’m not sure about dental composite though there might be something in that that could wreck the finish of the throw, probably not but ya never know, plus that’s hella expensive lol

2 Likes

It’ll be fine as long as you give it a bad paint job too. :sweat_smile:

That’s the plan! Whether the flowable works or not haha

2 Likes

I don’t know that yoyo, but with various Duncan FHs as well as many other yoyos, a ring of heavy plumbers solder under the caps added significant weight. It’s normally available in 1/8 in thickness and is easily formed into a ring to fit. From looking at the pics of the 000, it should not be hard to do. Much better that filling w/silicone.

2 Likes

I’ll look into it! Was hoping not to buy anything else, so maybe this is a fallback.

This was a failure haha. Vibed like crazy. It has been reversed. Might try and find that plumbers solder this week and try again. Some horror pics:

2 Likes

If you feel like trying again with silicone, next time use a plastic card and run the flat edge of it along the surface of the silicone after you apply it. You can easily peel off all of the excess from the leveling process after it cures.

That should give you a far more equal application on each side, which will reduce vibe a lot.

Edit: I just read through your previous posts, you can mix up flowable with some food dye or something else before applying it to make your own purple silicone. Getting a baby food syringe would make it easier to apply a mixed up silicone like that, or you could use a ziploc bag with a small corner clipped.

3 Likes

Maybe you could try masking off the rim with tape so both sides would be more uniform. Or what Mable suggested.

1 Like

I thought of mixing, which would be a mistake in my messy hands. and the card idea once I got these gobs on the rims yesterday. I thought it would even out a little more on its own, which was obviously inaccurate. IF I try again, it will be with a card to level it out, or the plumber’s solder.

2 Likes

Okay so, I actually did this.

The performance is pretty good! I had to be very particular about scraping just below the rim, took me 2 attempts to get one without some major vibe. It 100% has more vibe than the non-siliconed version, but it’s definitely manageable.

The weight is now 66.8g for those curious.

6 Likes

Definitely seems like it would have a high chance of causing vibe due to air bubbles and not being able to get it 100% flush. It’d be cool to see this tried with epoxy resin though it could be dyed or have glitter in it or both. If you had a vacuum chamber you could get rid of any air bubbles and with a perfectly level surface you should be able to come really close to a perfect fill. With a bit of Sanding and polishing after I think one could end up with a smooth more rim weighted plastic 000.

1 Like

Honestly the vibe on mine is not bad at all, I’m perfectly happy playing this one.

3 Likes

Well… it certainly couldn’t vibe any worse than a Hybrid Fulvia…… so, there’s that on the positive🤓

2 Likes