Advice needed: How to not lacerate into trapeze when doing the Brent Stole

I KEEP TRYING TO HIT THE BRENT STOLE BUT GO INTO TRAPEZE ON ACCIDENT

In short, I watched the YYT video on it, I hit it… once. After that though all I’ve been doing when trying to go into the Green Triangle is ending up in a lacerated trapeze instead, with me feeling kinda dumb.

Any advice on how to unstupidify myself would be greatly appreciated please and thanks

1 Like

Had the same problem. When you are landing into Brent stole make the Whip motion bigger than laceration so that the string whips over your hand and you have more string to work with.

1 Like

What helped me with this is making sure that taught part of the string coming from your throw hand stays higher than the yo. I aim to put it above the yoyo gap

2 Likes

@tysnj nailed your issue exactly I’m guessing

If you’re landing in a trapeze you’re probably intercepting the string below the height of the yoyo. When you’re pushing forward with your TH forward to intercept the slack, you need to be intercepting that slack above the height of the yoyo.

6 Likes

This is probably the single biggest piece of advice that allowed me to start landing these consistently. Thanks @tysnj and @mable mable! I could do Ninja Vanish, brother slack to NV, that rolling slack GT…but Brent Stoles just eluded me.

Adding just one more thing, I found that intercepting the string at the tip of my finger helps a lot, too.

3 Likes

Sometimes when I try to hit the Brent stole, I end up in a reverse gt like I cross my arms and it’s a gt but I have no idea how this is happening (maybe something with too much torsion?) Anyone else have any ideas/ does this happen to anyone else? Also I started landing these when I got the feel for grabbing just the one string. This is so hard to explain because there is only one string but with the regular hook, you can feel the loop hit the free hand index in two spots. It took me way too long to figure out that I should just grab the inside section of that loop.

1 Like

I have that reverse GT happen every so often, too. Really weird because I have no idea why. I feel like I’m doing the same things each time, but every 12th one or so lands that way. I’m just happy I’m finally able to do it. On a related note, I’d like to know how to choose either one because the reverse is pretty cool, too.

1 Like