Advanced Yoyo Throw Help

Hi, I’ve been yoyoing for about 4 months and have a Iceberg yoyo. I can do more advanced tricks like skin the gerbil and such. I noticed my spin times are lower than other people on the forums have much longer spins times as I do. (2x-3x) and I can only get it for around 1-1.5 minutes but others have it up to 7 minutes. Any tips?

1 Like

1-1.5 mins actually doing tricks is very good. Maybe you can get really high spin times like that if you just like go for a long sleeper

Okay, I just tried and got 2 minutes, but how do those players get such high times?

Like a 2 minute sleeper? Maybe putting a bit of thin lube, or better bearing overall.

Or 2 minutes of doing tricks? That’s pretty good. Maybe just a better yoyo at that point. A powerful one.

Honestly not sure that longer is that huge a priority. Sounds like you are doing pretty good.

Stress on the yo-yo from being Mounted on the string anc being swung around massively decreases the spin time. They just let the yo-yo spin as long as possible to get records.

The only way I’ve ever gotten 5+ minutes of sleep time is by carefully controlling the tilt of the yoyo while it’s sleeping. You’ll need a hard, STRAIGHT throw. Then you’ll want to grab the string about 4-6 inches above the yoyo and hold your yoyo about eye level so you can watch the string in the gap. Your going to want to make sure the string doesn’t touch the yo or the pads. If it starts tilting one way or the other, you just barely twist the string one way or the other and the yo will tilt. It’s a very tedious process. I only ever did it one time. Throwing a 7 minute sleeper is really not as fun as it sounds. Haha. I understand the want to make it happen though, for sure.

1 Like

Like long time just throwing a sleeper without doing tricks?

most of the people getting 7+ minutes are probably using bimetal yoyos. if you are using a monometal or a plastic, then your sleep times are fine.

I get 2 minutes without tricks

Aight so depends a lot on the Yoyo design so heavier and rim weighted and also the bearing like how smooth does it spin and also how well does it stay centered. Then you gotta throw super super hard. Honestly it doesn’t matter too much how long your Yoyo spins without doing tricks like if you’re getting enough spintime to do your tricks you’re fine. It’s rare that tricks go over 30 seconds in contests. Idk I find it incredibly boring to test so I don’t but yeah the things I mentioned are what would help. Look at the world record holding Yoyo the BTH and you can see what makes a Yoyo good for sleep records. That sucker slept for over 30 minutes and would be a nightmare to do anything else with.

my northstar only sleeps for 2 minutes with no trick, the reason? bad bearing, you might have the same problem, so just clean those bearing and maybe put a thin lube, changing the bearing is a gamble, you can use butane/lighter fluid