A small pet peeve of mine with breakaways

Oh god I think I do this.

Before I get more paranoid about my technique, can you link a video(s) showing the 2 different methods?

I’m still confused though. I’m watching Andre in the breakaway tutorial and his arm doesn’t look like it’s following through that much. This is pretty close to how I throw it, but I do think I let go a little earlier than he does.

2 Likes

This thread desperately needs a video example of this pet peeve.

5 Likes

Here. Not following through vs. following through

8 Likes

Oh, now I see. Yea, the no follow through is lame af.

2 Likes

It seems like it’s more about how high you hold your arm. If you hold your yoyo head high on the throw, there’s no point in follow through. Where as if you start it chest high, you kind of need that whipping motition.

1 Like

Now i see it. First one is simple straight wrong lol. I’ve only seen beginners do that.

4 Likes

but tom from throws n brews still does it

3 Likes

For application purposes, I think the point is that the first way maybe acceptable if you’re just starting so that you can understand the mechanics of a breakaway, but after you’re comfortable with a breakaway, you shouldn’t have to throw like that. There’s no need to maintain that flexed muscle.

1 Like

idk. That wrong technique shoul be fixed by itself the more you throw, it looks plain uncomfortable.

3 Likes

I wasn’t going to say it lol. But I guess it isn’t really hurting anything. It just looks kind of awkward that’s all

3 Likes

Initially I was thinking it was those breakaway throws you see beginners do or maybe some keep as a bad habit where it almost goes straight down and doesn’t really travel from throw hand to non throw all the way, then they have to give an extra swing with their throw hand just to get it to travel the full distance.

Perhaps that works for him just fine.

Tom follows through. It’s just slower. More precise and thoughtful.

2 Likes

Well I just made a video of me throwing a breakaway and it looks like I do the muscle thing. Oh well :frowning: .

I might try to break the habit later. Seems like a lot of work to change a motion I’ve been doing for 5 years when it’s never been a problem before.

3 Likes

Your breakway is fine imo

2 Likes

For the record, it doesn’t really bother me. I just understand what the OP was talking about.

You’ve got some pretty nice moves there mister!

2 Likes

Looks good to me. That’s how I normally do it.

2 Likes

In the end it really just comes down to play style. If that is the way you do it, then do it that way.

Personally I think it looks a bit jerky and lacks the flow of the follow through motion, but I wouldnt exactly say it is incorrect or crappy technique or anything. It would actually be worse if everyone strove to do every trick the same way, so I appreciate the diversity in style (even if I prefer one over the other).

3 Likes