A small pet peeve of mine with breakaways

okay — i love seeing people throw and all, but there’s only one thing that annoys me when i see someone yoyoing.

it’s when they throw a breakaway, except their hand doesn’t travel across to the other side. it’s almost like they’re “making a muscle” (as most tutorials describe it) and then simply dropping the yoyo and moving it to the other side using their arm.

the yoyo should travel to the other side from the force of the throw.

does anyone agree with me on this? i would really like to see much more smooth throws out there.

3 Likes

Huh. So i just posted a trick on another thread and your post made go and check my breakaway. Even if don’t do it the way you describe, i don’t think my breakaway looks choppy or unnatural… i think.

Unless their technique is waaaay off, i usually don’t mind about how people get their yoyos spinning, i’m more interested in what happens after they throw it lol.

6 Likes

I think I’ve only seen what you are talking about once, or severe enough to notice. It is a littit visionally annoying but I wouldn’t call the guy out on it.

3 Likes

I see that a lot. It aggravates the heck out of me. The guy on Throws 'N Brews does that all the time.

6 Likes

I shouldn’t go letting it upset you too much, it is meant to be a bit of fun after all

5 Likes

Now I’m super confused. His break away looks fine to me. You know in 7 years I’ve never posted a trick video. This may be the only community I actually care about being judged by. Knowing that I may aggravate you guys with how I throw my yoyo doesn’t make me anymore comfortable.

3 Likes

You can honestly throw however you want, I wouldn’t say there is a “wrong” way to throw (other than the obvious cases of just not knowing how to yoyo). Whatever is comfortable, everybody is different. I think the important thing is having a straight throw, how you get from A to B doesn’t really matter as much. Just my two cents.

5 Likes

Relevant video but not really. lol

5 Likes

i get what you all are saying, but i just like seeing smooth throws. i’m not judging anyone. it’s just something that annoys me a little bit.

2 Likes

The safest way is to do a pull start :smiley: Then you don’t need to move your throw hand at all!

5 Likes

You do if you do it the way I do it!

3 Likes

Maybe I looked at this the wrong way. I actually have some small peeve myself. I know sometimes it feels like I just got to get them out. Every now and then an ( unpopular opinion) topic comes up. I’ll drop one there.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I understand… Your hand crosses your torso when you throw a breakaway? I just do more of a flick of the wrist. My hand doesn’t travel too far at all, definitely not across my body.

9 Likes

I think what he finds slightly annoying is that some people don’t have much of a follow through [with their throw arm] with their throw. It’s like they make a muscle and then it’s all in the wrist; basically keeping the muscle formation.

5 Likes

This I understand. I don’t think I’ve ever made the muscle form. I taught myself the side breakaway back when I was a kid in the early 90s. I think Arnie Dixon came to my school (or just some dude in a tuxedo). Buy the time I came back I just went back to a side flick. I think the the muscle form is something you do as a beginner and kinda develope past.

5 Likes

You know I’ve probably listened to this a hundred times while yoyoing and never put that together.

2 Likes

Most people don’t care how you do it and it happens so quick most of the time that it does not really matter so don’t worry about it

For me, it depends on the area I’m throwing in. If I have a lot of room, I throw it more pronounced from the elbow. If I’m in a tighter space I will basically do a throw down and then flip it up to my non-throw hand.

2 Likes

Well, to be honest, I’ve struggled with doing a good breakaway. With the tips I’ve read here, I’m going to master this one yet! Thanks gang!!

2 Likes

For me, I don’t do them, hehe.

3 Likes