A new yoyo venture

I was recently at my local pool and was taking a small break by throwing a bit. I stop and look over and find about 7 kids from ages 6-12 watching me. That gets me thinking, this had happened a lot recently. I then sat down with my parents and their friends and they were talking about yoyoing and how they wished their kids could do it. Long story short, they think I should teach a few kids how to do basic yoyo tricks. I think I should try it at least once, what do I have to lose?
I would like to hear your thoughts on this. How many kids should I try to teach and what age?

I also think I should get a few beginner yoyos to hand out. My best options at this point are the Spinstar or the Butterfly XT. Which of these options do you think is better? or better yet, what yoyo did you learn on?

12 Likes

Butterfly XT

Fireball & Brain

5 Likes

XT. I do not like the Spinstar transaxle and find it unpredictable.

3 Likes

how old are you?I

1 Like

I was leaning towards the XT from the beginning, because it is cheaper and it was my first yoyo. XT is looking like the better option.

1 Like

I have never tried the spinstar, fireball, or brain. Since I would have to get more than one yoyo, the brain and fireball are a little out of my price range. I really appreciate the help though.

1 Like

I was out with my family a couple nights ago and a very similar thing had happend. I was just throwing then a group of about 10-15 people were watching me. I let the kids try some finger spins and they loved it. I think the butterfly XT would be a perfect choice. I was thinking of picking up some for the very reason you are think if doing so. It’s a great opportunity to get some new throwers in the community.

3 Likes

I hope I can get some new throwers to the community. My mom was talking about how awesome it would be if she looked around and saw kids running around with yoyos, and I completely agree with her. If I try to teach 15 kids chances are at least one would make it beyond their first sleeper.

4 Likes

The consensus seems to be against the Spinstar (personally have not tried it so I can’t say one way or the other), I would consider the YYF One, as well as reaching out to YYF / @yyfben2.deactivated directly to see about acquiring a bulk amount of them at a discount, something they are known to do.

If you decide to go with the Butterfly XT, I would consider doing the same. You could probably get them cheaper than $5/ea as a bulk pack from Duncan (though based on the Duncan thread about their yoyo day sale, I would recommend reaching out to Bryan Jardin @bjardin directly).

3 Likes

Great, thanks for the help. I, like you, have not tried the spinstar, I have just seen it in a lot of beginner packs. The One also seems like a great choice.

I have the spinstar and the xt and they are equal as far as learning tricks like the sleeper rock the baby etc. The nice thing about the spinstar is that it requires no matince while the xt might need thick lube once in a while. The xt however may be able to take you little further as far ad trick like trapeze and double or nothing. Either way you cant go wrong

4 Likes

One has pads that stick out really far into the gap making it EXTREMELY responsive.

3 Likes

I would suggest the whip as well. It’s a great beginner yoyo which is super cheap and can be upgraded to unresponsive.

3 Likes

I was considering the whip, but it appears to be out of stock here on yoyo expert.

2 Likes

Thanks, Isaac.

You guys can find the bulk discount here or even design your own yo-yo. Make sure to use Google Chrome or Safari to try out the design your own yo-yo.

4 Likes

I just recently purchased a bulk amount of Spinstars directly from @AndreBoulay and @YoYoExpert after I could no longer get in touch with Ben. I highly recommend them for beginners, they worked great when we gave away a bunch of them at our national yoyo day meetup.

I’d say reach out to YYE, explain what you’re trying to do and get a price quote. They shipped same day with a discount for the bulk amount and the customer service overall was great.

5 Likes

Whip is also on its way back in stock. :blush:

5 Likes

I would hold off on the “Tech” tricks at the beginning! :crazy_face:

I think as many as are interested. You’ll probably end up with a few who stay interested in it. As some have success, they will inspire and help the others. Then you’ll probably have others become interested. This is assuming you do it with some consistency.

Don’t get discouraged if many quickly give up and head back to the pool. Even one neophyte is worth the effort!

5 Likes

You never know what will happen! I got my neighbor interested exactly one year ago tomorrow and he’s created two more yoyoers who are really into it. Granted, they are adults. A year ago I never thought I would get anyone interested in yoyos. My neighbor only got interested because his mother told him I had yoyos and he asked to see some.

3 Likes

Wow, I made a lot of spelling errors :upside_down_face: I guess that’s what you get when you try to type after a two hour throw session.

I knew that going into this a lot of kids would probably not make it through, but if at least one kid does than I will have done my job.

5 Likes