Suggestions for a kids yoyo?

Hey guys, my daughter (almost 4 years old) keeps telling me she wants a yoyo. I’ve been searching around, but I’m looking for suggestions. What’s a good throw for small hands?

4 Likes

here are my favorites, do take notes that these have small bearings and they can be coking hazards if that worries you, you can find a Duncan butterfly at Walmart that does not have a bearing

9 Likes

I 2nd the Butterfly XT. You’ll prolly want to add some thick lube to the bearing to increase responsiveness though.

5 Likes

No love for the Whip? Does it have a good response for weak throws?

3 Likes

Whip comes with THICK pads that are a hinderance imo. If you want to replace with thin pads and lube bearing then yes the whip is good. The whip is a bit heavy for a 4 year old though imo.

1 Like

I would say whip or spinstar. Both play amazing for begineer yoyoers. These are what I purchase as give away yoyos for people of all ages.

4 Likes

YYF Whip or Duncan Butterfly XT would probably work well for an extreme beginner.

3 Likes

I got my son a Duncan butterfly pretty durable. Only like 5-8 bucks usually .

3 Likes

this is true

I didn’t even think about the spin star but at the same time ive never owned one

1 Like

Spin Star is significantly larger feel than a Butterfly XT and probably a bit big for a four year old.

That’s true, it is a bit big. Whip is a better size for younger kids.

Search for the “Fizz” yoyo.

I’m all about Spinstar. Big is more to catch for little hands, I find that a good thing.

6 Likes

You just have to try all of the above and see what works best for the kid. No one can say what the best fit will be except the person that will actually use the yoyo. Luckily trying all of them will be pretty cheap.

3 Likes

When I was running the school program YYF spinstars were amazing! I always recommend spinstars! Pure awesomeness for starting.

2 Likes

YYF Spinstar, and the Duncan Butterfly XT are solid options. At 4, I’d go with the butterfly XT. If she were, 8 I would say Spinstar. This is simply due to size and weight. IMHO, the Spinstar is a “better” yo-yo, and comes in so many different color options. YYF has a “Go Play” series that are re-badged Spinstars and Loop720s.

This!

Also Spinstars can be noisy. Just something to consider.

1 Like

I suggest the YYF Velocity Yoyo. It’s hard and was meant to be beaten up by dropping it. I can take some major drops before it stops working. You can change from easy mode to pro mode which is great for kids and beginners.

2 Likes

first yoyo i gave my kid was a duncan imperial… he was 3, and i had him stand in the coffee table…

up and down up and down… that’s all
they want to do at first i think… an imperial is $4

5 Likes