What would you reccomend for a young child?

I know my toddler is too young to properly use a Yoyo, but he just asked for one for Christmas, so I’d like to get him one that he can grow into!

I think right now he could learn to bring a up very responsive Yoyo if I were to throw it and put it on his finger. I’m sure he’ll also enjoy walking the dog.

I’d like to purchase a good beginner yoyo that is lightweight, durable, and has no small pieces easily accessible. What do you think?

Thanks,
Nate

3 Likes

I bought the Sage for myself, and my son (7) uses it now with the slim bearing to make it responsive. He’s smashed it off the floor many times, and it can definitely take a beating.

Can’t go wrong with a YYF Whip. They’re cheap (~$7), fairly durable, and come responsive.
Another great option for any beginner is the Recess First Base. ~$20 and comes with both a responsive and unresponsive bearing.

1 Like

YYF Whip or Sage

I’d recommend the YoYoFactory Spinstar. More responsive and is going to return easier on weak throws. Durable too.

4 Likes

The classic butterfly is one of the few that doesn’t have small parts - most more advanced yoyos have an axle + bearing/transaxle that is accessible by unscrewing the yoyo.

2 Likes

I just bought my 4 year old daughter a Recess first base Neko.
Because pink, glitter, cat things she likes.

But for her first yoyo, she has a wooden one that has the string fixed on the axle so it only goes up and down and it is small like her hands.

She liked it enough.

4 Likes

This guy is right, all the other suggestions have a small part. The classic Duncan Butterfly is probably your best bet, it doesn’t come apart at all. The downside is that it makes knots a lot harder to untangle.

1 Like

Some locktite will fix that worrying about it coming apart, which my daughter can’t take apart her yoyo, just doesn’t have the grip strength yet. And she’s old enough that I don’t worry about her putting a bearing in her mouth. Granted I wouldn’t let her yoyo unsupervised because lengths of string and toddlers don’t mix.

I bought my daughter a yoyo ball that destroyed itself before we got out of the packaging. Ended up buying a Butterfly XT, which are wonderful and you can get them at walmart.

As stated previously, if you want something that you can do more than just man on the flying trapeze the whip is super wonderful.

And the Recess first base is what I always go back to and I love it so much. It also comes in glitter kitty pink now.

Depending on your child’s age, you could try a Yoyoball. Durable and fun for the little ones! Got one for my 4 year old… my 13 year old still loves to pick it up!511v3tsxwHL.AC_SY400_ML2 51LXYKs5MaL.AC_SY400_ML2