Whip or Duncan XT

I yo-yoed at work a bit, and now two coworkers asked about yo-yos for their kids, and if I had extras. No, not even my MYYs which would be useless to them anyway. :slight_smile: Why does that smile look passive-aggressive to me now?

Which is better whip or XT? They are in the price range. Have never played them. I did play a Recess First base, and thought it was way too light, at least for me.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Whip

1 Like
  • YYF Whip
  • Duncan Butterfly XT

0 voters

the Whip

I would go with the new Butterfly XT over the Whip, but I would probably also say Spinstar over both of them. The Spinstar is really good for young kids, it responds really well even with really weak throws.

5 Likes

The whip will take them the farthest in their yoyo journey!

2 Likes

How old are the kids? I havnt tried a whip but the XT my 4 year old and 6 year old can use. I would imagine the starburst response makes it a lot easier. Because if the kids are older than that, their coordination might develop quicker and an XT might be very limiting shortly after.

1 Like

Yeah, @FrankieJR kinda echoes my thoughts as well. Whenever I think about what yoyos I’d want to have on hand for introducing yoyoing to beginners, I am also trying to think ahead a bit.

Most who try it will never go past throwing a sleeper or a forward pass, and for them there’s no reason to have anything but a Butterfly XT or a Spinstar on hand. But for those few who master those early basics quickly, it may be worthwhile to have something more robust to give them, like a First Base or a Sage. But how long does it take these quick learners to reach that point, on average?

Does it make sense to have a suite of yoyos, from XT to Shutter, in a yoyo case ready for whenever someone is ready to “take the next step”? Or does it only make sense to have a bunch of XTs or Spinstars on hand and then tell them what yoyo to get next (on their own) when they’re ready?

2 Likes

Went with spinstar.

Never tried any of the 3, and Garret has tried them all.

2 Likes