What yoyo would be good to teach a class of about 30 people

So, I’m going to high school this year, and I want to start a yoyo class. I would guess around 30 people are going to come, so what yoyo would you recommend for this? Preferably, it should be able to turn into an unresponsive yoyo, but if not, at least a really good responsive yoyo.

3 Likes

Unless I read this wrong, you’re planning to buy 30 yoyos, and not one yoyo to teach everyone, correct?

Good options are mostly budget plastics. Freehand Pro, First Base, Magicyoyo Crystal, Replay Pro, Speedaholic, maybe Wedge, Yoyofriends Dove if you want to be generous

I’d recommend the FHP, Replay Pro, Speedaholic, or Crystal. The Crystal in particular is really cheap and I think you can get it on Amazon (edit: of course you should get it from Yoyoexpert though lol)

You could also go for a budget metal like a Magicyoyo N12 Sharks Honor or Y01 Node, but metals are easier to ding/more likely to hurt someone/break something. Plus some plastics are like $12 anyway.

Good luck! I think this is a really cool idea.

2 Likes

Sage classic from yotricks or first base by recess.
Both of these are inexpensive and can be upgraded to unresponsive (first base comes with unresponsive bearing)

2 Likes

I did a class of 15 with the YYF Arrow. Worked well for me. Reach out to YYF and they’ll help you out.

4 Likes

Just get some Spinstars, its what @tylerseverance uses to teach large school groups and @AndreBoulay or @yyfben2.deactivated can get you some in bulk.

3 Likes

Depends on what your planning to teach. I know Duncan does bulk and if you have a school tax exempt code or with the scouts they cut a decent deal on there low end yo-yos. Yyf I’ve heard can do bulk easily as well. I really only have experience with Duncan from Boy Scout troop some time ago but either way might be easier to go with a plastic responsive yoyo for teaching and let the class explore further on there own with your guidance if desired. Not all that attend statistically will keep going after the class so no point in getting an expensive yoyo in everyone’s hands at day one.

Or if you live anywhere near Arizona I bet Ben would do a bulk deal on those pallets of superwides if he didn’t know the purpose and you could pick them up yourself and then watch with a sadistic gleam as new yoyoers strip there first yoyo.

1 Like

I use these when introducing new people to yoyo.

Maybe have a couple of the ones mentioned above for people to try?

Have fun.

3 Likes

If you want the best bang for your buck I recommend the Whip from YYF. They’re a little more than a butterfly but they have bearings and unscrew so they are easy to maintain and play really well for a beginner yo-yo.

6 Likes

I second the YYF Whip. It comes with a responsive bearing but you can simply replace it with any C size to make it unresponsive.

3 Likes

Them all have a good point I tell people everyone should have a plastic whip those things are hard to break and pretty great at the price. Not sure about bulk but I assume you could contact yyf on that.

Never used a SnapBack but looks like a spinstar with an a bearing instead of a transaxle. That’s not a bad contender. Either one would work for learning.

Duncan would do a deal on the butterfly xt which is similar to the whip in that you can swap the bearing pretty easily. Or cheap route Duncan butterfly fixies for all.

For bearings honestly the cheapest path is buy a bunch off ali exp for super cheap or the legitimate route would probably be yyf or yye

Either way sounds like a fun time. My previous simi drunk superwide idea is a terrible one. Don’t listen to drunk brandon.

Butterfly XT and Butterfly fixie should be competitive price wise, but the XT is significantly more beginner friendly.

1 Like

With that many people, start with the spinstar. Just getting the throwing down pat is a process. Then judging by how many people wanna continue get some cheap unresponsive.

3 Likes

Spinstar, Butterfly XT. ($180~ for 30)

• If budget is a consideration, these are excellent to learn on.

Whip ($270~ for 30, $423~ for 30 & unresponsive bearings for each)

• Really good middle ground, though not as good as the first base & shooting star for advanced play

First Base, SHOOTiNG STAR. (First Base $600~ for 30, SHOOTiNG STAR $900~ for 30)

• Both of these are substantially more than the others listed, but will absolutely be able to bring people to pretty much any level of yo-yoing. They also both come with half-spec responsive, and full-spec bearings to upgrade to unresponsive with no additional investment after buying each yoyo. If budget is not an issue I would absolutely recommend SHOOTiNG STARS over the First Base. In the long run it’s definitely a little better in terms of performance.
3 Likes

I would go with Whips and if anyone actually gets into unresponsive you can swap in a large C bearing. I’m cheap though.

1 Like

Just wanna say it maybe start with 15 yo-yos or some number less than 30 if this a club type thing so you can get a sense for turnout. Not to be a negative Nelly but I guess I am in this instance idk it’s hard to get people hooked on yo like they gotta really want it and it would be a bummer to spend that cash and have a bunch of yo-yos getting no love. Just something to think about. Good luck w this endeavor tho and I do hope the whole school shows up!

4 Likes

I would suggest a Speedaholic XX if there are low turnouts (~5 because they are like 30 bucks apiece so buying 30 of them would set you back pretty far). The OOCH is pretty inexpensive and is a good starter yo from what I’ve heard (it is responsive though). The cheapest unresponsive off the top of my head would be the Spinell from YJyoyo, but even those are like 18 dollars

The C3 Speedaholic XX is great. The reason I recommended the SHOOTiNG STAR over it, is only because the it comes with a half-spec bearing to start out responsive, and overall is pretty similar for the same price.

1 Like

Fair. I was just throwing something that was relatively cheap out there tbh

2 Likes

I think you have your pricing mixed up. SnapBack cost is about $12. Whip is half that.

3 Likes

You’re right, I had spinstar pricing marked down. whoops.