A-Grade Imperfections

not necessarily, but the manufacturer could be more cognizant on future runs. being that the rings are pressed on after lathing, it’s an expensive yoyo to b-grade when the qc on the individual part itself should be able to be controlled fairly well isolated of the process, and cheaper to b-grade subsequently (and not use at all)

2 Likes

They’re well aware for every person who is unhappy to receive a damaged yoyo, there’s dozens of others who are willing to buy it. Not a great business decision in my opinion, but they know they’ll have buyers still.

6 Likes

If QC misses something, a good company will correct it. First we have to ask them.

I had a small issue with RSO, posted something similar here, and within minutes Elvin had reached out to let me know that he made a mistake. Shortly after, he corrected it. This was above and beyond customer service.

First, we have to ask. Chances are they want to help.

To the OP’s question, I think the defect you see is debris that made its way into the anodize bath. Not entirely sure about that though. What ever it is… It’s a defect. IMHO, it constitutes B-Grade because as someone posted earlier, you wont be able to get what you paid for it.

8 Likes

In the case of every single one having the mark then I think it would be unfair to you to have to b grade the entire run. Moreover, big companies like Duncan and YoYoFactory also have such blemishes on their rainbow rims and still call them a grades so I think it is still fair to call these a grades. It’s just that there are a lot of companies out there that have done rainbow rims without blemishes and as a buyer I’m more inclined to buy the perfect ones. Competition ya know.

These Duncans are A grades selling at $80.

Duncan Grasshopper GTX

Duncan Orbital GTX

5 Likes

So… how is the quality control from A-RT’s most recent run of the new grails?

3 Likes

Mine came with an ano defect. A thumbprint sized area that is the slightest bit off in color. I’ve heard some of the other people who have gotten theirs have had worse defects though. @ottoast

4 Likes

That’s probably called A-RTisanal Marks (SCNR)

7 Likes

That’s pretty big. Do you have a photo? I haven’t gotten mine yet.

It blends in really well but it’s there

1 Like

I had to go focus for a minute, but that is huge! I’ve heard of a couple of others having defects also. Either they knew about it and decided not to disclose it or they didn’t notice. The former seems more likely. Did they not think people would notice? Or are they hoping people just won’t say anything?

1 Like

They know that they can charge literally whatever because people will pay for it, regardless of condition (myself included unfortunately LMAO)… it sucks to say but when you have a product selling out in less than a minute, they probably don’t care because they know SOMEONE will definitely always want one. Especially since it’s 7075 and likely the last run of Grails according to them. It is a bit odd however that they seemingly have more yo-yos that should be considered B grade, compared to One Drop, who manufactures them.

6 Likes

I think they are 7068 @SR1

They’re 7075. They were calling it 7069 on their posts to be funny/ironic, but they clarified that it’s 7075.

3 Likes

They disclose this in the description of the B7 on the buy page

3 Likes

i’d prefer a word like meticulous over anal

4 Likes

Do customers have to tolerate this?? I would’ve returned it for that $$$. I would’ve felt fooled.

1 Like

It’s because one drop actually quality checks their yoyos like 99% of companies do. When they get b grades they put them aside until they do one of their NQP sales

2 Likes

I think they saw previous comments and criticisms about their quality control and put that disclaimer in there which I appreciate.
I think it means ano flaws are acceptable to them but actual damage isnt.

1 Like

I don’t know I’ve seen some with like straight up scratches from them. Kind of sad really .

4 Likes

Are the rainbow rims electro-plated? If so, that’s probably where they hook up the anode or cathode. My Orbital has one & that’s what I figured from the looks of it.

1 Like