A Battle for us "Newer" guys and gals

Good luck i just learned that, i don’t know why i could never get it but then i was like “oh thats how you do it”

Thanks. I tried it for the first time last night but my breakaway was weak and the yoyo spun out right before the toss as I set the strings. Then I had to deal with some other stuff and never got back to it.

Double or Nothing was a snap. Split the Atom gave me grief until I got the split bottom mount nailed. Now I dismount by reversing the mount and then bind it back.

I’m gonna be practicing stuff in the backstage area at the convention I’m doing sound for. Since the panels run themselves, I got plenty of time to practice a few new tricks. I might graduate into advanced tricks due to all the practice time!

(Sorry, no videos. I’m video recording the concerts only, as those do the best for me for promotional purposes. I will have photos, but of the convention, panels and concerts. If one of my crew takes photos of me throwing, that’s the only way there’s gonna be proof I was doing something!)

im 23 over a year. i have a large life with things to do and i can tell theres a million 10 yr olds better than me. i have to do stuff with my life they have not much to do. its like a golf handicap. lose the age, keep the length of time.

I think we should start a club for us 21 and up people who do this as a hobby :slight_smile: haha I think it would work!

Ok back to the battle. We currently have 5 people signed up. Would love to get 5 more. I have the names listed on the first post on page 1. Please continue to message me if you want in on the Battle!

Also as of 10:10am on Aug 30th I have changed the first post in this thread to list the names of the contestants as well as the official rules of the battle. Please refer back to the first page and first post for official details.

I got a few questions

I take it the vid has to be 1 shot so 3 throws right?

when I adjust my tension, I only do a specific front style throw to do it, then I bind back then I go for a combo again, would it count like 1 throw ?

or it can be 3 throws but not in 1 shot, I mean, if I record say 30 minutes of throwing, would I (or anyone else) be allowed to keep the 3 best throws and put em together for the vid ?

I don’t care either way but I think this should be clarified

Hi Hadoq,

It is clarified now on the front page first post in this thread. Just a recap it is 1 minute in length. The number of throws is completely up to you, you can do 1 throw, three throws, 12 throws. It just needs to total 1 minute and no editing. You can throw for thirty minutes and just take your best minute and submit that if you would like, but you can not do three 20 second throws and edit those together. It must be a solid minute and not be edited during that minute. It also can only include beginning, intermediate, and advanced tricks as stated on YYE Learn section. I have decided to allow custom tricks but only if they are in line with the talent required in those three sections. If you got this killer master style trick, this isn’t the battle for it. Let me know if that answers your questions. Again the official rules have been posted on the first post of this thread including those who are currently signed up. If you are anyone else would like to sign up, please shoot me a private message and I’ll add you.

sounds fair to me and the perfect battle for me too. I’ll try and record a minute worth of yoyoing this week.

what about other styles? I’ve been yoyoing for 10 months overall but pretty much half of these were 5A which is my main style now, I’m not very good (I think I got the exact level for this contest) in 5A either, just that I like it better.

The winner of this battle/contest will then choose what the next battle contest will be. This one will be 1A but say if you win, you can choose the next one and if it is 5a then we will put together a 5a battle/contest. I’m looking forward to that because I have been wanting to try and do some 5a just have not tried much yet.

I know I don’t post much here but i read a ton! Been yoyoing for almost two months now and am 18. Think i might nail down my boing-E-boing and eli hops and give this a shot! Love this idea!

Added Hadoq and Danishsauce to the roster. Anyone else that I missed that wants to be in it, please message me. Thanks. Would love to have at least 10 people.

yeap, definitely add me, I’ve been doing only 5A for months and a few days ago I just started to do some 1a again, enjoying the 5A education transposed in 1A. So I’ve been wanting to film my 1A since then, this gives me a pretty good excuse to do it.

as for trying out 5A, go for it, it’s more different than 1A than people think (me at least), it will take some time to get comfortable with the CW moving around and it does require some grind to get started, this was not very pleasant for me at first and I first gave up, going back there a couple months later, then it clicked and stayed there for a while. It’ll remain my main style from now on, I love how everything’s left to be done in 5A, you have very few tutorials to get you started, even fewer of good quality, so after a short while, you’re on your own when it comes to learn/invent new tricks.

I say go for it, the juice is definitely worth the squeeze, but there will probably be some squeeze

oh, start with a plastic, once you’re used to 5A basics, you won’t drop your yoyo any more than you do in 1A, but at first, it WILL see the ground, often, so follow the same safety rules you have in 4A, don’t practice near valuable furniture (TV and whatnot)

if you can afford, get a YYJ Destiny (about $40 here), it’s hybrid metal/plastic, it is VERY durable (dropped mine from 2nd floor, plays like day one) and perfectly balanced for 5A (not all 1A yoyos are, you can use any 1A yoyo for 5A but, the ideal 5A yoyo specifications are not the same than for 1A)

oh, and sorry for the off topic thing…

no problem hadoq, I actually traded my DJ Hero a while back and got a Miguel Carrera Genesis signature and figured I’d use that one for 5a since that is what he uses. But yeah, that is a heavy beast and had a couple of people tell me I probably shouldn’t learn on it. Plus it is still mint, so I might find something else to play around with for 5a and use it for 1a for now. I have a Protostar I do a lot of practice with for 1A and just got a Dark Magic 2 that I have been practicing a lot with 1A. I might make the DM2 a 5a practice yoyo then if you think it would be good for that and use the protostar for my 1A stuff.

Now back on topic haha. I just added Nicholi2789 to the roster and now we only need a couple of more people to hit the 10 persons battle. If we don’t get 10 it is still fine, just would love to see 10 people do it. Hit me up on message if your name is not on the front page and you still want to compete.

Hey,

I have been yoyoing for about… 5-6 months. I am mostly an avid collector, but I do practice and such. I would like to join the contest :D. I’m 16, so I am still in highschool, so I might not have much time to record the video, so could you let me know when we have to get the videos in?

I’m down for a battle. I’ve been throwing since early january this year, so about 8 months.

I believe he said the fifth :slight_smile: reread the first post. I’m kinda getting nervous, all you guys have been throwing way longer than me lol

Dang, I really would like to participate in this, considering I have only been throwing for a year, if that is a bit long to be considered noob. Only if I could work my camcorder.

Don’t let age or experience stop those who are worried about entering.

I’m almost 40. I’ve been throwing almost 4 months. I’m lucky to get 15 minutes a day, or an hour a week in. I’d be further along if I had more time to practice. As it is, I’m moving along and am on Drop In The Bucket as my current trick to progress through. Some people take to this quicker than others. This contest isn’t really about winning, it’s more about motivating each other to improve. Still, it is a contest and there has to be a winner.

As I’ve said elsewhere in this thread, I yoyo for me and my own enjoyment. I’m never going to compete or video. Maybe the video thing will change in the future, but the competition thing won’t(as in formal organized competitions).

90% of the videos I see on this forum often make me want to push a little bit more to improve. That’s what I am hoping this little contest will do.

1 Like

video/filming yourself is nice to see what exact parts you need to improve

I’ve added Dynikus to the roster. Anyone else interested please PM Me. I’m going to close registration on Friday so that I can focus on actually video taping my routine haha.

As far as length, like Studio said it isn’t about how long. I picked up my first yoyo 2 months before Worlds 2010. However, I have only really started trying to learn tricks for about 3 months over the last year and started back up again in the last month. So I have maybe 4 months to my name. Some people may been longer and not as good or less and be better. It is about having fun and improving and being challenged. Part of my challenge is to get Studio to actually submit a video :wink:

I’m going to brag just for a second though. I got some 1 on 1 training last night from none other than Duncan Professional Takeshi Kamisato. He is at Disney doing shows 7 days a week and got to hang with him last night for a little over an hour and he helped me with my Kwijibo and adding some flair to my buddha’s revenge. He also taught my son the brain twister and rock the baby and he could barely bind when we got there. What a great guy. I showed him my first 20 seconds of my routine and he liked it. So that is a start! Now I have got a couple of days to get 40 more seconds done. D’oh!

DByoyoer has submitted his video and info. It is going to be tough, he put on a good show. Looking forward to seeing everyone else’s and posting them on Tuesday the 6th. Remember Monday the 5th at 7PM eastern is the deadline.

Disney? Where? Disneyland or WDW? Reason I ask is my family makes an annual trip to Disneyland(unless we go to WDW) and if it’s in Disneyland, I might see about making a detour to run into Takeshi and say hi. I’m gonna be there anways, right?

But, good luck on that getting me to video challenge. Not happenin’! I’m gonna be spending what time I have this weekend working on Drop In The Bucket, Atom Smasher and Mach 5. But keep in mind, I’m also running 3 sound systems this weekend at SacAnime. Next convention, it will be 4 systems.

Main Events which includes the Friday and Saturday raves and Friday Night Concert.
Concernts/outdoor ampitheater
Panel Room
Next year: the karaoke room.