9 Years Smoke Free! N.O.P.E.!

Ketosis exercise (exercise in the morning for breakfast on an empty stomach) is the quickest way to lose weight. Why burn off the calories you’ve just consumed when your body can use your stored fat for energy? (Ketosis)

I’ve never had weight issues because of the regiment - this is just to get trim. Hit up @hobbygod for a regiment to get buff

2 Likes

Yeah I’m a PA and there is newer thinking about the limited benefit of exercise for weight loss as opposed to calorie reduction. It’s just basic math, only ~ 30% of your calories are consumed by locomotion where as 100% of your calorie intake is through your mouth, so you are working with less when you exercise than when you cut calories.

One study I read they took twins and had them eat the same diet and one of them ran twice a week for 1 hour while the other did nothing. The running twin ended up losing only like 1-2 pounds more than the other per month, which they could achieve simply by cutting like 70 extra calories per day.

But the main reason I did it this way is because exercising makes me really freaking hungry, and it was hard enough trying to cut calories without adding extra hunger.

All of that said, I am talking strictly just about weight loss. Obviously, exercise has many other important health benefits (well, mental benefits as well) so believe me I’m not saying exercise is pointless. I exercise every day. Just my personal weight-loss strategy was to lose weight first THEN get in shape.

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of this method and it’s one of the biggest things that chases me away from trying to lose weight…working out.
I think I have an allergy to it or something. It makes me break out in sweats and makes me feel all fatigued and stuff!
:stuck_out_tongue:

I wish I took my health more serious. I have some issues I’ve developed because of my eating habits and lifestyle. I have a combination of type 1 and 2 diabetes (my body doesn’t produce enough insulin and is also resistant to it…I end up having to take in a massive amount of insulin each day) and sleep apnea (I can’t sleep without a cpap machine anymore).
Both these could be reversed with weight loss.
It’s no fun walking around at my weight. It’s hard to not feel a lot of shame about it and to be afraid of what others think when they see me.
Plus it’s miserable physically. I get tired a lot and I’ve got motivation issues because it sometimes takes so much extra effort to get up and go do things.
I live at the base of some beautiful mountains…I use to LOVE to get up there and do some hiking and day camping.
I just don’t have the energy anymore :(.
Or I invested in a nice bike 4 or 5 years ago…took out a loan at the bank and everything to make sure I got something decent.
Rode it 3 times and now it’s just sitting in the back of my room haha. Again, it’s just so much effort!

I’ve no problem admitting I’m lazy…sloths are my spirit animals for sure.

I also have the problem of sticking with things. I’ve tried losing weight before, but never stick with it for long.
I don’t know…it’s frustrating, but it’s really all on my own shoulders. I’ve put myself in this position in life, and I’m really the only one that can do anything about it.

3 Likes

Yeah to be honest once I lost the weight I had more energy anyway. I mean, if you put an extra 100 lbs on my back right now and had me walk around all day, I’d be pretty damn tired at the end of the day.

4 Likes

I can’t believe your transformation! You’re like 2 different people!!

Did you have someone in your 3d life that was there to help keep you motivated?

1 Like

Congrats man!!!

One thing that sucks is vaping has totally brought smoking back, and the amount of nicotine delivered is so much higher, so it’s even more addictive :frowning:

7 Likes

one of the reason why i will never smoke or vape or drink its a waste of money and its in no way good for you

5 Likes

I have not gotten behind vapes. The main reason is lack of research on long term effects. I know cigs are terrible, but atleast I know what to expect.

5 Likes

Yes. Eating less and cleaning up what you eat are the big things. So ex if you eat 6 pbj sandwiches a day just cut one out and you’ll lose weight… also if you think a food isnt healthy just dont eat it… most people are good with that…ex they know that noodles are healthier than doughnuts…

I think that exercise is good to develop the habits and to burn a little extra, but I agree that diet is way more important.

Also an fyi, lifting weights will burn more cals than cardio :slight_smile:

4 Likes

While I agree we need research, I find it REALLY hard to believe that we’ll discover that vapes are worse than cigs. They may be bad, but cigs are 100% proven terrible. Vaping compared to no nicotine use is obviously way worse. But vaping compared to smoking, that’s likely a significant health improvement.

4 Likes

I agree with you for sure. I’m definitely not defending smoking. My fear is that vaping may have adverse side effects on brain function. I got no brains to spare.

5 Likes

Exactly. Vaping can lead to nicotine addiction.

3 Likes

Any research up to this point says that nicotine itself is no more harmful than caffeine. As for vaping, it has been shown to be much safer than smoking (ive seen studies say up to 98% safer), but the long term verdict is still out.

Personally I quit smoking 2-3 years ago (I never marked it on a calendar so idk exactly). I have since picked up vaping and my lungs feel much better. Ill never smoke a cigarette again, and quite honestly the idea seems disgusting to me now. Im willing to take the risk of vaping because without it I would probably relapse back to smoking like I did in the past. All I can say is that I feel as good as I did when I didn’t smoke, so for the time being that is good enough for me. Anybody who picks up vaping just to vape is definitely doing it wrong. This stuff is for smoking cessation, not to pick up a new habit (though who am I to judge since I started smoking in high school?)

I still like herb, but I only smoke it now when I go to concerts. I might smoke a little more regularly once I finally land a good job (I enjoy it at night to settle down and listen to some music), but for now ill keep it to only occasionally.

3 Likes

“herb” makes me super paranoid haha.
It’s been like 10 years…and damn, that stuffed messed me up hard for awhile in my early 20’s.

I strongly suspect I’d be able to handle it now. I’ve grown SO much since last I tried it…but I’ve really got no desire to anymore.
I don’t frown on anyone using the stuff…I only ask people not to ask me to do it with them. I have an old lady friend who’s been doing it daily for over 30 years, and don’t mind a bit when she uses it while I’m hanging out with her and her sweet puppy at her home.

I’m really a pretty boring person to be honest lol. I don’t enjoy drinking or bars or anything like that either.

I have mixed feelings on vaping…I lean more towards frowning on it…but I really try not to be all judgey of people. haha who am I to judge people on what they enjoy?

5 Likes

I mean, if im smoking herb ill ask if you want to join in, but if you don’t, im definitely not going to ask you again or even judge you for it. Im always free to share, but if someone is unwilling or doesnt want to, pressuring them into doing it is really uncool and I would never do that.

As for vaping, it keeps me cig-free. I admit that it is a vice, but it is much better than smoking. Quite honestly I frown on teen vapers since I wouldnt even be doing it if I werent trying to find a substitute for a 15+ year habit.

2 Likes

No offense, but those numbers seem made up. Nicotine is really the least of my concerns in smoking/vaping. For me it’s the electronic factor that leaves me uneasy. I have read in the past that vaping for only 15 minutes leaves your saliva with detectable amounts of formaldehyde and a chemical known to alter DNA, acrolein(or something like that). Safer just seems like a strong statement to me. They are both terrible.

1 Like

Safer =/= safe. Im not disputing saying that it is safe, but the research so far is clear that it is definitely the better alternative. Safer is relative. Im not about to delve into this inconclusive debate whether vaping has any relation to cancer, sorry. I was quoting from a UK study from a year or two ago that compared carcinogen levels. I think anyone who has read any research on the topic would recommend vaping 10/10 times vs smoking. Smoking is definitely bad; vaping may not be good, but saying it is terrible seems like a strong statement to me.

1 Like

The only thing inherently bad about vaping as far as I’m aware of is popcorn lung… also if you’re a teen/someone that shouldn’t be smoking, vapes and juuls tend to be more addicting than cigarettes because they have more nicotine.

1 Like

:joy:

I think both @moby323 and @Damb have made great points regarding exercise and weight loss that I coincidentally implemented for myself about 4months ago.

@moby323 made the point the weight loss isn’t really about exercise. It’s just simple math. Like really simple math. Everyone knows about how many calories your supposed to eat to maintain weight (~2000), but very few actually track every calorie ingested. I started using an app to record everything I ate for a week. Like every ounce of olive oil, every pat of butter, everything. The apps make finding the caloric info very easy. I simply forced myself to stop eating for the day at 1700 calories. It didn’t take long to figure out that if I wanted to eat more than one meal a day I’d better start eating eating salads and other low calorie foods. It became obvious after a day or two that I was eating way more calories than my body needed each day. The weight just started to pour off and I was amazed at the difference cutting out sodas and sugar made. Before when I’d get hungry I’d also get a bad headache and super cranky. Now without the sugar withdrawal I just feel hungry. No headaches or any thing that makes feel like I NEED to eat. I’ve been really surprised how fast the weight was lost. I pretty much lost all of the 30+ pounds I was trying to loose in about 2.5 months. Once I lost about 10 pounds I started to feel good enough to think about exercise. I did some research into Keto and I was intrigued at the concept of intermittent fasting and exercising while fasted. I learned that if you stop eating for 12 hours then your body flips a switch and starts burning your fat reserves. If you try to avoid sugar and limit carbs then your body with keep burning fats. If you give your body some sugar and pastas then the body switch flips back and you’re now burning the sugars you ingested and your body is trying to store the fats. You’re body will ALWAYS burn sugars and carbs first if they are available. Combine the intermittent fasting with exercise and my body feels like it goes into overdrive. Like I can feel the change almost immediately. For about 3 weeks I stopped eating my 1700 calories at 8pm. This way when I went to exercise at 8am the next morning my bodies fat burning switch would be on. Using these techniques the fat just melted off and I feel better than ever.

Sorry to give you such a long dissertation, but I just wanted to share some info that I never knew and was really helpful to me in my weight loss endeavors.

8 Likes

Congrats there, green yo dude!

I have never smoked in my life, and never plan to

4 Likes