6th Run of Chiefs!

Wasn’t quite 2 hours and 15 minutes. I bought the last one at about 11:30. Was trying to not buy, but when I got home from work there was just the 1 left, and in the colorway I wanted. So I had to go for it, if for no other reason than to say I’ve tried a Chief.

I’d guess the delayed sell out was due in part to the fairly recent last release, and that half the colorways in this release were even more expensive signature editions. If $145 was very pricey, $165 for a yoyo is just out of reach for most. I doubt the popularity of the Chief is going anywhere soon…one trip to the sales forum will tell you that.

Cheifs are absolutely amazing. Best yoyo I’ve ever used. Just because they didn’t sell out in 5 minutes doesn’t mean people have lost interest. They still sold out in less than 2 hours. That’s pretty awesome.

Chiefs are a good yoyo and one of my favorites but the new code2 in my opinion is just a good. And much cheaper.

Wow yye deleted my post. so basically you cant express your opinon here? ill say it again, I think the price point for the Chief is a JOKE. Nowhere in this post or my previous post did i violate the CoC rules. Come on this is getting YYN’ish.

Did you notice that one colorway was the heavier version (66g)? It’s the pink acid wash with green splash. To those who have the “Chief+” and the ability to test both versions, does the gram make that much of a difference?

(Crashes in through the window)

I have the ability to test both versions. If you play both you can tell the difference. Slightly. The lighter one plays much faster.

Granted, it’s not like the difference between an Avalanche and Sasquatch (which is like, hit-you-over-the-head different), but still a difference.

I actually prefer the heavier version. Looking to trade one of my two tradables for a heavy one I can keep in my pocket.

(Jumps out of a different window)

I think CLYW is testing the limits of what they can charge for these items. Frankly, I’m surprised more of the smaller boutique companies haven’t raised prices more, including companies like One Drop(and other companies One Drop makes yo-yos for). I’m mixed about the impact this has on the community. If prices do have such large jumps, it will make the gap bigger between the “haves” and the “have nots”, but that’s true in just about any circle. However, we’re not talking about barriers to entry as there are still some amazing low priced yoyos that are certainly competition worthy, just without the high price tag.

On one hand, I know that nobody at these small companies are getting rich off of yo-yos. So, I guess price bumps like this can be good if the companies can see that they may be able to do this sort of thing “full time” and actually make a living at it, which would then bring more product to market. Currently, from the best of my understanding, most of these guys have a regular day job or at the very least, another means of securing income.

We’ve all seen(at least photos) $200 yoyos. I can’t say why they cost that because I haven’t touched one or played one. Clearly, there is a market for it or YYE wouldn’t carry them, but I also notice they don’t go flying off the shelf at those high prices. The question comes down to “are they really worth that kind of money”. Only the marketplace will decide that. I do hope that CLYW doesn’t drive themselves into oblivion through excessive price bumps and not responding to the demands of the marketplace, but at the same time, isn’t ignoring their bottom line and are turning a decent profit for themselves.

I recently bought a Chief via BST, and I do have to say, for what I paid, yes, I can agree with what that one sold for new from YYE. I have also played someone else’s first, which is why I wanted a Chief so darn bad! I’ve found this to be one of the smoothest and most stable yoyos I have played. But, it’s all about preferences, right? Now price becomes a factor too.

If they didn’t sell up for sale everytime they went out then they would adjust the price eventually. Its the law of supply and demand. People are still buying all of them at that price no need for them to lower the price. I have seen them on BST for more then retail and people will buy them because it’s the only way they can get one. Look at what YYE has for sale for CLYW yoyos there all sold out.

WHAT! I DID NOT KNOW OF THIS! :’( I hate it when they do not announce these types of things! :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( :’( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

They announced it on Facebook and it was a thread on here when the countdown went up. Sorry you missed it.

I bought the black with pink speckle Chief. :slight_smile:

Responding to the comment about Onedrop and their pricing point:

All Onedrop yoyos are made within the United States as a means of striving to keep the average price of their product down to what it was years ago. Onedrop is literally a machine shop dedicated to yoyos, all made by yoyoers themselves dedicated to the community.

Of course, we at 1D also have to evolve. Which is why you see the special editions for a bit higher of price. But overall, we are about the community and trying our best to keep prices low enough but profitable.

You will not see our prices heavily on the up rise like other companies out there has.

Much love.

But they did make an announcement. Just Like YoYoExpert on Facebook, and you won’t miss anything anymore.

I wish I could get one. >:( >:( :frowning: :frowning: