30$ for clyw hat.

Love the throws. Dislike the popularity contest. I want quality throws and new designs before hype.

It’s a nice hat. I’d pay $30 for it again. They make at least 8 or 9 quality throws and also just dropped a new design today, so…what exactly is it that you want?

Quite frankly that hat style turns me off. Wouldn’t get one regardless of the price.

You guys do realize this hat is aimed for KIDS.
Majority of CLYW customers are, in fact, young kids.

And $30 for a custom-style Zephyr hat is not expensive.

Of course I do. Most yoyo marketing is aimed at kids. :wink:

1 Like

Kids? You are more smarter than these kids? Beware KIDS!

I think the hat is aimed at people who like CLYW and also like hats.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind more high quality yoyo gear like that. We buy shirts and hats with licensed brand names on them all the time. Why not yoyo brands if that’s what you’re into? No one is making you buy it and I doubt it interferes with CLYW’s ability to make yoyos.

1 Like

It’s very simple. If you don’t like it or the price is too high then don’t buy one. Why come to a board and gripe about it? Nothing better to do? Also I’ve been throwing for 8 years. I think their throws are quality. Maybe you should design and manufacture one. Then you may see that its not that easy.

1 Like

My thoughts:

A friend of mine has the CLYW snap-back hat. I think it looks good. I like it except the brim, it’s not my style, but the rest I am fine with. Would I pay $30 for it? No, since I can get my own logo hats for $12 or so and they have that comfort-type kinda rounded brim. I find myself currently buying and wearing more yoyo-related attire, mostly in the form of T-Shirts, even though I have my own branded T-shirts. I draw the line for now at the hat. I keep my Studio42 hats on so at least I have some form of identification in the crowds. If I needed a hat, I wouldn’t mind getting one. If they are on a special price at a contest, I’d be even more tempted to buy one.

Is the CLYW product hyped? Yes. Is it worth it? Most often, I have found it to be yes. I like their products. At the same time, I will admit that I felt a bit let-down with the Canvas. Hey, not every throw can be a winner for everyone.

Speak with you wallet. If you like it, buy it. If you don’t like it, don’t. If you think it’s over-hyped, you’re entitled to your own opinion. If you don’t like the price, don’t buy new, wait for BST.

And taking a bit of Icthus’s advice, there’s this yoyo called the Agape. Get it, throw it, love it! Amazing stuff. Everyone who tries mine loves them. Not building hype, just stating what the people say, and I like them as well.

I never said I am “more smarter” than kids, nor have I implied it.

As for tragetting kids, yes, it is what most yoyo companies want.
There are exceptions, such as SPYY, but it’s what Chris and I were discussing.
He wanted something to appeal more to the kids this time.
I am an adult and I think it’s pretty awesome, but kids will probably love it more than I will.

It’s like if the op was implying that these hats were $200.
And FYI, CLYW has a deep history in yoyoing. They are one of the older micro-brands that still exist today, along with SPYY, Anti-yo, onedrop, and etc.

If you want higher “quality” throws and designs, I don’t think there are many other suggestions. A guy that personally assembles all the yoyo’s, tests a large batch, stamps every box, etc… I don’t know what else you want?

Did you know that due to “quality” issues, he canceled a whole run of Avalanches?
250 yoyo’s. Due to some of the batch having the “older” CLYW vibe. And it sucks because it’s the best playing yoyo I’ve played to date. Funny that I’ve had yoyo’s that had such vibe issues sold as a-grades in very recent times.

Chris is a great guy. He deserves the “hype” he gets now; he has dedicated years of his life doing this and asking for “quality” is pretty offensive to a good friend of mine.

Maybe some of you who have connections in the biz know better, but is it really true that the higher end yoyo companies are targeting kids as their primary consumer base?

That doesn’t make much sense to me. CLYW throws are generally $150. Turning Point and YYR run closer to $200. $30 for a CLYW hat. What “kid” has that kind of disposable cash? Sure, you’re going to get some whose parents will treat them on occasion, but I don’t think you can count on too many repeat purchases from minors on this type of product.

I think they are, or should be, targeting me. 18-34 year old, gainfully employed males who can afford to buy multiple high end throws as they release. I think the marketing material generally evidences this. CLYW’s whole “image” is ostensibly somewhat childish and silly, but it’s got an artistic, indie flair that feels like it’s aimed at an older audience. Other high enders like YYR are all business, numbers, and facts. I doubt a heavy focus on your product’s amazing engineering is going to appeal directly to children.

Normally snapbacks range from 30-50 bucks a piece? :-\

$30 for a snapback isn’t that weird. go to lids or hat club or foot locker and you’re gonna be paying 25-35 bucks a hat.
as far as the actual style, I’ve never liked snap backs. If they make like a 59/50 or similar fitted cap, then I’ll be all over that.

I feel like when you hold the hat in your hands you can understand the $30, at least compared to other hats. Especially their first model, all that thick embroidery, the options like two toned snaps, and just the hat construction itself. It’s not just a souvenir-quality snap back hat at all. It’s actually heavy from all the lining and padding.

Not sure how it is in USA, but lately in Czech Republic, 95% of Clyws goes to kids between 13-16 years. Some of them just have money for it, some sells all other yo-yos just to buy almighty Chief, I even saw kid selling his brand new PSP to get money for Clyw.

As for hats, only older yo-yoers with Clyw Hat are sponsored(Kavka, Hybl), than just bunch of kids. When hat was out of stock in all European shops, it was sell in local BST for prices around 55 USD!

About Turning point and YYR, stores here have them in stock for few weeks, but almost nobody is buying them even though they are just awesome throws. But they are lacking hype of Clyw, so no kids are interested in them.

The reason why companies target younger kids is because these companies still treat their products as toys. And children are a larger audience, who can progress into the hobby more than someone older. Price-wise, it’s the cost of 2 video games. Not expensive for your average kid who has a pile of those.

And there are higher priced collector pieces, such as a special colorway or a prototype.

As for YYR, they are great yoyo’s… Except they vibe like crap when taken apart to change pads that cost way too much. It’s another marketing gimmick to avoid selling more b-grades and pay to buy pads. This is why I hate their stuff, as “great” as they may be. Every company has their style of marketing but YYR is garbage to me.

Still doesn’t make sense to me. Sure, kids have video games that might amount to nearly $200, but they’re not buying them all at once. A $150-200 yoyo is a much, much harder sell than 3 or 4 video games on 3 or 4 seperate occasions for a parent…and I come from a family who would have been able to afford it. They would accept that a game is $50-$60, they would really wonder why a yoyo needs to be $150, and they’d really, really wonder why I needed more than 1.

I just don’t think children area larger audience for this type of product. Duncans, Yomegas, YYJ’s…definitely a bigger market with kids. Cheap toys are a volume business. But CLYW only makes very limited releases of very expensive specialty products. They don’t need a massive costumer base, what they need are just a few buyers who can consistently purchase anything they make as it releases. That person, imo, is not a jobless kid.

But, whatever CLYW thinks they’re doing is working.

This is how I think of it. (I’m 13 so a kid) I don’t have any clyw’s but I’m getting a Campfire soon. Sure I have a lot of Xbox games and old games and stuff like that. Most of them are used, so cheap, but I have bought a couple right when they released so that would equal the 2 games that would equal a clyw. If I get as much playing time out of a high end yoyo that I would get out of a video game I think it’s not a waste of money. Plus, I’m doing something better then sitting in my basement all day staring at a screen. Yoyoing may not be the most productive thing I could do but it’s fun.

But my parents (like stookie’s) can understand a video game being $60 but don’t understand why a yoyo is $100 or more. But they don’t see it as I do. And I probably get more playing time out of a yoyo then a video game so I can understand a yoyo being that much.

No one “needs” more than a single yoyo to play with.
I think greed gets to people pretty quick…

I would suffice with a single Avalanche I have, but a lot of players become somewhat of a collector as they progress through the hobby, as it seems.

yeah, when I first started, I was pretty fine with just my dm2. I actually thought having more than one yoyo was crazy because of the price.
Now a year and a half later, I have a 5 shelf toolbox filled with yoyos. go figure. haha