3 Satining Questions

1st: How can I take the axle out?

2nd: What do I buy to make it smoother after the sandpaper?

3rd: How do I do more of the inside by the bearing? (I’m satining a Genesis)

Thanks!

1. twist

2. if you want to satin it then you don’t use anything after the sand paper to make it smoother. The roughness of it makes it grind better.

3. Get a longer axle.

Y satin it

I satined one half already and I’m satining it because it has alot of scratches and a deep one that is cutting up my hand really badly.

1 Like

If you are shooting for a nice smooth feel, use higher grit sandpaper, steel wool, or also the green textured side of a sponge works really well too.

I don’t recommend steel wool, it’s to uneven. I honestly use a brown paper bag a when I am done to get the highest quality.

steel wool being uneven is untrue. I’ve pretty much polished a yoyo with steel wool. I even use it as my last step before I use my polish.

Really? I must be using the wrong type or something cause it takes the ano off unevenly when I use it.

question #4: is there any fool-proof plan to make the satined sides exactly even, because my worst fear is to end up with a big yo on one side and a mighty flea on the other. :-[

Well you don’t keep it in one spot. You have to move it. Also sand paper can do that too. I end up with 0000 steel wool.

I like to satin by hand, I tend to get a better finish, but I count the times I go around to try and get it even. If it’s uneven the yoyo will spin when thrown. It’s usually not too bad.

You really have to be removing a lot of material to make it precess (spin around the string axis) after a satin job. Satining should be a surface finish that does not remove material from the body appreciably.

When you have a nasty ding on one half, you tend to satin that half more… a lot more.