2A Discussion Thread

Whoa…what just happened. I was screwing my yoyo back in place after doing some maintenance and I suddenly heard a sudden pop in the yoyo. I took my Raider apart and seemed like there was nothing wrong. Until I saw small cracks around the part of the body where the axle hole is located.

I put it back together and it still tightens perfectly, but when I unscrew it there’s that small popping sound just before it completely unscrews. I tried playing with it and it still plays just as well.

I didn’t try cranking it at all.

I think I broke the yoyo…

I hope someone tells me otherwise. I don’t want to break this yoyo I bought from jrodriguez that [I think] he modded so well. And I’m too broke to get a replacement pair

I don’t think this is good.

what yoyo’s should I play for 2A? I’m thinking ether Yomega raider or the loop 808.

I know. Wait…what’s not good? My thread or my little issue with the Raider?
But then, it still plays well as if it didn’t happen. I don’t know anything about modding so I’m a noob at that so I don’t know if that’s natural or whatnot.

I recommend you any of those. For me, I recommend you the Loop900 [or you could wait for the loop1080] and the Yomega Raider/Fireball.
Loop900/1080 lets you adjust your gap setting without the risk of breaking your yoyo just like you would with modding a Raider.

But then, the Loop900 also breaks easily compared to the Raider.

Oh well, I recommend you getting both pairs. I’m sure the BST is filled with all of them :]

1 Like

Plastics are prone to damage. And since you’re using them to loop, it’s much more likely to hit something and break. unless you want to hit yourself with metal in your head, 2a yoyos should be plastics or similar material…

Just bumping because I don’t want this to get lost AND I have something to contribute:

First, I am learning how critical it is to manage string tension with 2A. Because loops are effectively regens and you’re putting a half twist into the string into each loop, you’d be surprised how fast you screw up your string tension. I just changed a string today because I did a loop THROUGH the string. At the same time, I needed to replace the string anyways.

Second: Fresh string! OMG!! It’s like I got a new yoyo. My only issue was the confusion I had when it would not snap start because the string was still nice and not stretched out, so it was literally in a death grip between the halves in that Unleashed.

Third: Lube. Yeah, use it. Thick lube. 2 drops. On my! It really gets things where I like it. DO your own experimentation, but I found this was my magic solution.

Fourth: Throwing itself. I am finding don’t aim for straight ahead from your arm. Aim for a point in front of your body at a height somewhere between your waist and knee in height. I’m finding much more consistent results this way on my inside loops.

Fifth: It’s all in the wrist, but either way, use some heavy wrist action to THROW/FLING that yoyo back out. You have to maintain that energy, so put some effort into getting the yoyo back out there. Same for other looping tricks. Practice!!

Sixth. Looping doesn’t need the same power as 1A. Even so, don’t be afraid to put a little “power” into that initial throw. You’ve got to learn the difference between too much and too little. Too little and your loops get loose and sloppy and fall apart. Too hard and the yoyo just comes back at you too hard and fast, but you can compensate on this through practice and achieve faster loops. Still, you can throw too hard and it just comes right back at you. It’s not a fine line, there’s a zone of “just right” that varies from person to person. Once you find this, you’re good.

Seventh: The gap. As you know, modified shapes are narrow gapped and responsive by nature. Some are adjustable. You need to find what gap width works for you, as well as lubrication of the bearing for your best results.

Eighth: Don’t quit!

I totally see and get what Andre is saying in his looping tutorial videos, especially where at first where you also get your arm involved. I’m moving out of that and into it being all wrist at this point. I also got lessons from YYJ player Joseph Harris, which I felt was really the element I needed to get me into successful looping. Andre’s videos are good here, I just needed some hands on and “instant feedback” to correct any errors I was doing. Not to promote or push a yoyo professional, but it’s for this reason why people should participate in yoyo clubs and meets when you can. It’s for support and assistance. But you gotta “put this all together” on your own to really start making this happen.

So, keep looping. It’s harder than 1A. It takes longer to get results. This isn’t for the “instant gratification” users, unless this just magically clicks for you, and if it does, that’s OK too.

I am really exited about the 2A tutorials on YYE.

The 2A tutorials are really good. I just needed more information to get started. Now that I have, I’m just focusing on basics and fundamentals. I’m just working on inside and outside loops and hop the fence. I gotta work more on my non-dominant hand.

2a is my favorite, but I don’t own a pair, but that’s Gona change after I get a pair of 1080’s

Thank you so much, Chris. I was hesitant on constantly bumping my own thread because I have my own forum etiquette that I think it’s rude to bump my own stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, string tension is important. I make sure that my string is tighter than normal so when I’m looping it goes back to it’s neutral [or close] position.

2A is a style that really is up to the player. What works for me may or may not work for the next person. Whatever you do on your lubing/maintenance routine you gotta find out on your own. Of course, feel free to take some pointers from others, I actually recommend that, but please experiment and find your sweet spot.

I have a good friend who is a former champion give me a few pointers and it helps a lot. It really helps when you have a 2A buddy to help you out. Of course, people who participate in this thread will help you too. That’s why I made this thread.

Keep on looping!

I think this thread should stay on the first page whenever possible. I had to do a search for this so I could post my observations and findings.

1 Like

I think so too. Not because it’s my thread, but beacuse I’m trying to keep all the information in one place so it’s easily accessible to everyone.

Though I really wish one of the former Forum eXperts can contribute in here 'cause I know that person has lots of information, experience, and help, but oh well… no point on dwelling. Gotta make do with what we have/discover from now on :]

BTW! If you’ve been out of the loop [no pun] with the newest 2A yoyos, the year 2013 is a good year!

Duncan - Hornet
I had read from friends that it feels lighter than the Fireball/Raider but it’s a solid and balanced throw. Gap is adjustable through washers. I’m going to get a pair once YYE has these on stock
YoYoFactory - Loop1080
You’ve heard of it - it’s Shu’s signature. Heard that it feels lighter than 900. But I will buy a pair to see for myself. I still don’t know whether I should buy clear or blue.
Adegle - Macaroon
Kinda excited about this one. It looks good but I have no idea about its weight distribution, a way for customization [as in, gap setting], and any of that. But I only feel it’s a good start-up pair. Looking forward to buying a pair.

I prefer some weight on my 2A throws, but I am quite interested in Adegles new looper.

I’m really looking forward to the hornet. I tried a proto at nats and it played like a lighter modded raider and the price seems good. I think it is supposed to be $10-$20.

I’ve said this so many times, but 2013 is 2A year for me and I’m going to invest lots of money on 2A pairs. I have enough 1A throws. I gotta spend my money on loopers next.
The Hornet is planned to be released sometime in spring [around March].

I kinda wish Duncan would release it already, even in super limited quantities so I can try it out. I can’t wait any longer.

I kind of feel the same way. I’m going to be putting a lot more effort into 2A.

I have a Fireball, so I’ll probably get another. The Hornets look promising. I have to wait to see what Adegle’s price point is and how much I feel like getting those. Not sure what else I may purchase.

In this situation, I think no matter what I get, I’m still going to like the Unleashed better because I’ve developed such a strong preference for them. I don’t see me needing the same variety as I do with 1/3/5A

However, I am very patient!

I have been throwing 2A more recently, and use YYJ sunset nxg’s. One side is siliconed and one side has the orings in still. I use type 9 string and it seems to work good.
I will probably be buying up some unleashed and or loop 1080’s. I dunno.
I plan on makeing it my main style for at least the near future.

Okay after seeing this thread rubbed in my face every time I log in I have decided to pick up a pair of unleashes and get going with my 2a journey, and i plan on learning two handed loops with out giving up.

I’m glad! :smiley: Always great to find new 2A players. I suggest practicing on one hand [preferably dominant] until you get it clean. The other hand is an untrained mirror of your dominant hand. Keep it up!

I get what you mean, Chris. I love looping so much :stuck_out_tongue:
For me, I find that the Fireball/Raider be the most balanced of all. It’s not too light nor too heavy. It feels just right. The Unleashed is a tad too heavy for my preferences, but I still practice with those because of the same reason. The Loop900 feels a bit lighter but it’s still a solid looper.

That’s the thing I like about 2A. There isn’t much variety in terms of yoyos itself, so you make your own preferences. I’ll be stocking up on lots of Fireballs for practice, but I’m also gonna get a pair or two of each new looper that is released from here on to try.

By the way. Stock up on surgical tape. You see the high-profile 2A players wrapping tape around their fingers. It keeps your fingers from hurting when you’re playing for hours. You can get some at Rite-Aid for cheap. I wonder if Sam’s Club/Cotsco has surgical tape in bulk that’ll be a lot cheaper.