2A Discussion Thread

Lol, yeah, that was the last name of the guy they overthrew last year. But it means congrats. Pronounced MoobArak.

Sorry about the derail everyone!
So 2A huh? What wood throws do you guys like for it? I want to get one for February, but I want to get back into 2A as well.

It’s not the weight measured in a scale, it’s how weight is distributed. Just like 1A yoyos, it all comes down to weight distribution.
What Rizki was saying was the Unleashed feels heavier when you throw it [and I agree as I also have an Unleashed] than the Fireball/Raider.

I can’t wait for the looo1080 though. Gotta keep increasing my 2A yoyo collection. I have way too many 1A yoyos and I want 2A throws this time :stuck_out_tongue:

Modded fireball is around 54grams, the stock one is lighter.

So I was working on my loops like usual and I was given advice to a friend to loop anywhere [up and down, behind the back, under your legs] to make it consistent. yeah, so I tried looping under my legs and WHACK!! It hit my knee so hard :stuck_out_tongue:

But so far so good. My inside loops are getting more cleaner now that I can do them consistenly. My outside loops are okay…but they have a tendency to sleep at the end of the string and throws my timing off. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong since the throw and everything is right.

Anyone?

And I know this specific post should be in the maintenance section, but I’d like to keep 2A related stuff in one thread so I apologize mods.

I’ve been trying many ways to maintain my loopers. I was advised by another friend to do a certain way that involves applying both thick and thin lube onto the axle, the spacers, and the bearing itself. So far it works really well.

So any of you have any different ways of maintaining your loopers? I know that mileage varies since 2A is a style where it’s seriously up to the player and what works for one player may or may not work for the other.

Your’e right, there’s really no right way since it’s up to individual preferences. I’m debating lubing my 6 Unleashed. I got some tips from Joseph Harris, which was thin lube in the bearing and thick at the bottom of the string. I’m gonna pick a pair and thick lube one, pick another pair and thin lube it, and then leave one stock for now and see what I like the best. I also have other makes and models I can mess with.

I also saw a video where the guy went on for like 5 minutes and the payoff was: 2 drops of thick lube, 1 drop of thin lube gave him the response he wanted. It took him 5 minutes of video to say this as opposed to simply typing it up.

I’m having some issues with my looping progress and I feel that lubrication should address some of those concerns. It doesn’t feel like the gap, it seems to be the bearing needs to be slowed down a bit.

Worse case is I have the goods to clean the bearings out completely and start over if I have to.

Lubing the string? isn’t it makes it more prone to breaking?
When looping, try pushing the yoyo in quarter circle motion (push down, 45 degree forward, then forward) instead of just pushing it out forward. Use your wrist as a pivot and get the yoyo very slightly closer to your hand when it came back.

About the second bold words, that is exactly what I don’t like from loop900 (and maybe other people too), because I can’t control response vs gap. I mean to get more response, I have to tighten the gap, while tightening the gap means it will loop more downward (floaty). The most comfortable gap width lies where the response is not enough, while the most comfortable response lies where the gap is too tight that it loops too downward and it’s not comfortable (although I can force myself to get used to it).
This is what modded raider/fireball is good at, since players can sand the spacers as they pleased. Sand less and crank less it’ll feels heavy like unleashed, or sand more and crank more to make it feels floaty like 900 (not exactly though). The nylon spacers could act like a secondary response, depending on how you sand it.

For my experimentation today, I’m gonna thick lube(1 drop each, they are B-sized bearings!) 2 of my Unleashed. The other 4 I’m gonna leave alone for now. Later, I’ll thin lube a different 2 for comparison purposes.

I just got a pair of Loop 900’s. Not bad, but I like the weighty feeling of the Unleashed better for now.

The only thing I dislike about the Unleashed is the lack of consistency that comes from opening and re-closing the yoyo. The Loop900 attempts to do that via a geared mechanism, but I’ll have to mess with that. The problem with the sand and crank method is from lack of skills and/or machinery, and then if you go to far with it!

I can’t wait for the Loop1080’s to drop. I wonder what Ben from YYF was using at 2012 Nationals.

Tell us what the results are. So far I have never lubed my Unleashed so I’m waiting to see what would work best.

My red one got 1 drop of thin lube. My blue one got 2 drops of thin lube. Bearings were barely moving in the first place. I’m inclined to clean them to completely dry and then start from zero.

I did 20 inside loops on the red one, but they were kind of sloppy. I am doing OK mostly up to 5, sometimes 10.

I have a sky blue and green pair. I’m gonna try 1 drop of thick in each of those in a little bit.

My white pair I am going to keep as a “control” set for the time being. Gonna spend a bit more time with the blue one first.

I have a hard time getting the bearing out of my Unleashed. How do you get it out, Chris?

I grabbed it with my thumb and index finger and pulled. Or, in some cases, just turned the yoyo half upside down into my hand and it fell into my palm!

Bearing update:

Inconclusive. Red took 2 drops of thin lube by accident. Blue took 1 drop of thin lube.
Light blue took 1 drop of thick lube, green one took 2 drops of thick lube. Bearings were NOT de-shileded.

I’m finding gap size and technique/feel plays a massive factor. Even so, the green one with 2 drops of lube in there seems to be where it’s at for me. 5 loops are getting consistent. I did do 20 inside loops once, but it was sloppy here and there. My goal is 20 of anything. Today, I’m mostly going to work on getting 5 inside loops and 5 hop the fence on my left hand.

Yay, got my 006 doon pair yesterday!

Does anyone know when the loop 1080’s come out?

The second wave of YYF Champions Collection will drop in December. :]

So today, I got bored so I took out my loopers I use for my left hand. I’m not focusing on my left hand much since I want to master my right hand first. But anyway, I just threw a few times and I can’t believe that I was doing controlled alternate loops on both hands! I was really surprised especially that I haven’t done left hand loops in a while :]

It got me excited and I just want to throw 2A some more. :]
Getting closer to mastering it!

http://www.yo-yo.jp/mov-tricks-basic.html
http://www.yo-yo.jp/mov-tricks-2a.html

These pages at Japan’s main yoyo website [assuming it’s not store-fronted] has these lists of 2A/looping tricks. There’s no tutorial but lots of variations exist and they’re all interesting. It’s still worth watching because one can learn a lot from it.

Been asking my 2A friends on FB for more tips for outside loops and hop the fences. Hope this goes well.

Wait, that’s Takuma Yamamoto! damn! thanks for sharing!

Since one of my Raiders [the one I use for my left hand] is looping upwards and needs the gap to be tighter, I did a quick experiment by putting a Loop900 plastic spacer on one half and the usual sanded Raider plastic spacer on the other. I’m scared of cranking it more so I just let it go to its tighest setting [it had been modded before]
The loops are now shooting outwards and it was good!

http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php?topic=211.0

As you may have known, Pat Cuartero posted a Raider Mod thread in YYN many years back. But it seems like the images have been broken. I don’t know if the directories of the files changed too due to the transfer from YYN store to DrYoYo but it seems to me that the images are gone.

If only can someone remake the thread with images [and maybe even an HD video] that’d be nice, huh?

Too bad I’m inexperienced and I’ve never modded a Raider before so I can’t say anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juQvCNvORd0
I mod in slightly different way, but basically the same…