2023 Aluminum Butterfly

Has anyone tried greasing the bearing on these? I’m curious how snappy they are with a silicone greased bearing (while I wait for my half swap to arrive and try it myself :sunglasses:).

6 Likes

I’ve tried it. It’s nice and snappy.

7 Likes

That’s exciting

4 Likes

Is it just me or their naming is getting a little out of hand (pun intended) since there is a Butterfly AL already (is this the correct name?).

Anyway, using A bearing seems like a great choice for a more classic feel and less jerky response.

I wish the Imperial have more rounded shape instead of those sharp edges.

4 Likes

I need a couple. Def.

4 Likes

Recieved a Imperial today, and i have to say that the edges aren’t as pronounced in the hand as it appears. Its incredibly comfortable.
Was less snappy than i want, but i double wrapped the axle and we’re good now.

5 Likes

There exist a 1mm narrower version of A bearing (5 x 10 x 3mm instead of 5 x 10 x 4mm), might want to try that for a narrower gap and smoother tug response. However I don’t own one to confirm if it is possible, it depends on the axle length and the bearing seat height.

1 Like

its really more about the bearing posts, not the axle (which is always replacable with a shorter axle). the bearing posts are pretty tall in this one

2 Likes

Bearing posts are about 1.65mm long, too long for a 3mm wide bearing

2 Likes

Mine arrived today (well, the second half).

So far I like it. It definitely feels truer in shape to the Butterfly than the last Butterfly AL, and doesn’t feel anywhere near as chonky. The last Butterfly AL has a very distinctive thud when it hits the end of the string, but this one has none of that. That said, it’s still a little heavy for my taste in responsive play. I like where the response is. It feels very authentic to a single wrapped Butterfly.

15 Likes

its a good yoyo. they nailed the shape but it is a bit heavy for 0a in my opinion. thing is, its still hard to make it feel like a fixie with a bearing in it, though lube does improve snappiness. i’m starting to feel like the middle ground semi responsive simply can’t really do everything well. either do 0a, or do 1a, but together its a compromise on both ends… too responsive or not responsive enough and requires maintenance to move it one way or the other.

for 0a, I still like the standard duncan butterfly better. especially for under $10. it won’t do any advanced 1a, but I don’t need it to, I have enough pockets generally to carry more than one yoyo… And as magical as the RBC and Weekender, and Deeper State are , I still think fixies consistently feel better for 0a. I know, blasphemous.

8 Likes

I’m having a ridiculously good time throwing the new butterfly. My opinion may be tainted by not being able to throw for the last few months but this thing is awesome. I think its my favorite yoyo. The Imperial is great too. I’m more excited about yoyoing than I have been in a while.

26 Likes

Has anyone popped the caps off yet? Those are probably at least 6 grams for the pair. I don’t have mine yet, but I bet the compressed air trick would work.

5 Likes

I took a look at it, there is no through hole in the axle seat to put an air needle into the half. Suction cup might be the ticket.

4 Likes

the bearing posts are not hollow sadly, no chance of compressed air method working.

3 Likes

i’ve seen quite a few comments about it being too heavy for 0A and i just disagree. I’m finding myself loving the weight and play more and more. heavily reconsidering the Ti Confusion now, was always turned off just based on weight

5 Likes

:smile: Now I want to try the new Aluminum Butterfly since I love the Ti Confusion. That’s with a greased flat bearing and fat Ammo string, first yoyo I grab in the morning. :hugs:

3 Likes

maybe i’m biased because i even like to do do stalls/kickflips/varialson my unresponsive yoyos (this morning i did a kickflip/varial combo on my banshee ss lol) and i’m more used to the weight?

4 Likes

Agree. I haven’t had the weight hinder any of the 0a that I do. I am really digging it. I also find the response out of the box very predictable.

6 Likes

Anyone tried an unresponsive set up with either of them? I ordered an imperial and concave size a bearing, thought it would be funny to shred 1a with that kind of shape lol.

4 Likes