2020 String Fling!

A lot of time and energy went into this. I poured a great number of hours into production and enjoyed all of it. I had many conversations with string makers of a wide span of experience. I experimented, I learned and I improved.

The rest is history, and though “disappointing” doesn’t come close to the feeling surrounding the aftermath, I’ll not let this deter me from giving it another go.

Long live the String Makers Guild.

4 Likes

this is true, its like a really good movie with a bad ending, it was still worth watching

4 Likes

Same here. I had taught myself to make string years before and put in countless hours/days/weeks into it for the fun and learning. So I had already made thousands of strings and gave most of it away. So I passed on this at 1st. Then I couldn’t resist so I built a little 2 string rig, ordered and shopped thread, and got busy.

Funny thing is I feel bad for everyone else more than myself. It’s exciting and a little sketch to put yourself out there with a product or expression of yourself to strangers. Artist know all about it. But getting to do it and have feedback is a great way to learn and gain insight into new blends/mixes etc.

Shame this one just got whacked by the actual organizer!

RIP - and the others not pictured. :skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

Those strings looks dope, what a waste… Or not?
There is still hope?

2 Likes

Kinda hard to believe someone would organize this and not follow through unless it was an elaborate ruse from the beginning or they are deceased.

2 Likes

Others MIA

4 Likes

Hope never dies or something like that, but don’t hold your breath either lol.

It does make you wonder. I got the feeling it wasn’t legit from the communication and note after sending my strings. To bad it was after sending them. I could have just sent them to everyone myself. I sorted and bundled them in packs to make it easy for them, so they were ready to go.

4 Likes

Curious, what about the response made you suspicious?

2 Likes

Just a feeling. I sent extras, my wife made a custom hankie with ‘2020 String Fling Organizer’ embroidered on it, some coupons for free Zap’s potato chips (a Nawlins staple, where he’s from) and the response was - ‘I have received your strings’. Then ghost until he popped up in this thread some time later. It just felt weird. Almost like guilt lol.

2 Likes

My mind can’t even comprehend the diabolical nature required to concoct such a scheme as this…

3 Likes

Strange part is it was at the same time as this… Concerned about my purchase from @chrisdoc145
After this mess I wondered if it was just a friend of chrisdoc getting more freebies from the crowd that busted him.

3 Likes

this make more sense, man he got about $80 dollars in string man

1 Like

…more than that, I’m sure. As well as unquantifiable amount of trust from the community.

2 Likes

Geez! Did @MoonageMin ever get a refund???

According to @Damb this was just one of several incidents like this. Is it the same guy maybe?:point_down:

Also looking at this thread made me wonder, where is @twitch77? Haven’t seen him around in quite a while. Miss the fella…

4 Likes

He got a lot more than that. Markmont, String Lab, G-Strings, and more sent him 100’s of strings iirc.

Markmont sell for $7 for 5 strings.

He sure put in post for the hustle if that’s what it was. If it wasn’t a hustle out of the gate, and I had to guess, I would say it was tough times for whatever reason and then pride.

But when Garrett offered to send them all out if he just got the strings to him, and I did the same before, it makes you wonder?

2 Likes

dang, I knew that these string were a lot but idk how much

2 Likes

Nope the guy kept both the yo-yos and the money. It was YYE Famalama that bailed me out :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

:pray:Love always wins!

3 Likes

I’ve been checking in on this thread every couple of weeks, and it really sucks to see how this all turned out. If people decide to do it again, I’m down to take part. I can’t afford to be the middle man and do all that shipping to everyone everywhere, but I’m happy to send a variety of my own strings in for the swap. For the folks that lost all their stuff, I’m sorry for you all that this happened. Reading this thread over the past few months has felt like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I guess lesson learned, next time it’ll have to be someone very well trusted.

5 Likes

String making in and of itself is fun and rewarding so we all got to enjoy that! It is a shame no one else got to try our excitement and labor in string form though.

I would always recommend to any yoyo’er to try it sometime. It’s so nice when you dial in a mix you like and get to throw it with pleasure again and again as I’m sure you and all of us string makers know. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes