2020 String Fling!

Ok folks, I’m organizing a little something for all of us string makers. Pro, amateur, good, bad, or ugly. I want us to come together and really have some fun. So, it is with great pride that I announce the First Annual Forum STRING FLING!

So, if you’re wondering what this is, it’s fairly simple.
Step 1. Sign up by posting “I’m in” or equivalent.
Step 2. I’ll add you to the list and get your info when I need it.
Step 3. Make 1 string for each participant. (Open enrollment until Jan31) This is more of a “guideline”. If you have multiple types, send one of each per participant. If you want to send stickers or anything else, feel free. Just make sure you have enough for everyone. :slight_smile:
Step 4. Send the string to me. I will put together packages by dividing everything equally. They’ll be labeled with maker, “ingredients”, and any other info that the maker gives me. Shipping to you is on me! :yum:
Step 5. BE PATIENT! I work funny hours and have three kids. Also, I want to give everyone plenty of time to sign up and send in their goodies.
Step 6. Post up when you receive your package. Let us know initial thoughts, feelings, emotions. Tell us what you like, what you don’t like. The purpose is not only to sample strings, but to get feedback on the strings you made. Constructive criticism, ladies and gentlemen, please.
Step 7. ENJOY AND HAVE FUN! This is a chance for us to have some fun and learn together. It will help us to grow as a group, and maybe you’ll find a new favorite string.

So, if you’re in, simply say so or shoot me a message.

I’m hoping we can get a good number of people in this. The more the merrier! There will be no cost to participants other than the envelope to send me your strings, and you’ll get to try a bunch of other people’s string! If you know anyone who makes strings, let them know about the String Fling. Tell them to tell their friends. This is a great chance to get to know each other, learn a little, and have some fun!

So without further rambling, may I proudly present

THE 2020 STRING FLING!!!

21 Likes
  1. Avvatar
  2. 2ndarystrings *
  3. peytoncali11
  4. gsimian *
  5. Mystik *
  6. YoYoExpertGarrett *
  7. MarkD *
  8. yoCHOPPA *
  9. oneofthenine *
  10. JSERR *
  11. beherenow *
  12. MattB *
  13. gomanual *
  14. Arlequinlover *
5 Likes

im down

5 Likes

Well folks, I sent out a bunch of PM’s to various people. I hope that lots of people will sign up and participate. I have high hopes for this thing. It’d be so fun to get a bunch of strings from different makers! Hopefully some of the “big boys” will agree to send a string for each of us. We’ll see!

3 Likes

i’m down but i gotta run this by my mom :smiley: love this idea

6 Likes

I’m down. I did a project similar to this year’s ago called the boutique bundle, but it was for sale. I like this sharing idea better.

6 Likes

Mystik reporting for duty.:+1:

4 Likes

Yeah, if something like this was for sale, I’d buy it. BUT IT’S CHRISTMAS. Let’s do it the fun and easy way!

2 Likes

@MarkD would probably do this

3 Likes

Sent him a pm. I hope he does participate!

3 Likes

I’m in. Is there an estimated timeline for getting the strings ready? I also have 3 children :scream:

6 Likes

@MarkD

Here’s my thoughts on timeline:

I’ll leave sign up open through middle of January. Maybe through February 1st. That gives enough people time to sign up for the madness. Also, it gives us enough time to recover from the holidays. Oi.

Once sign-up is closed, we will have an accurate count and will know exactly how many strings we’ll need for this. I’d say probably 25? I hope we get a big turn out, but it might not be. Dunno yet. I make strings on my doorknob one at a time, ya know? Lol.

I’m hoping to ship out mid February/March 1st. I’m not trying to rush this. There’s too much potential for fun!

4 Likes

Also, I’m open to suggestions, guys. I’m not a pro or anything. Just a guy who enjoys the forum and wants to have some fun. If you have suggestions, I’m willing to listen and adapt. This is a group thing, I’m just facilitating!

3 Likes

I’m in!! spinning up some interesting stuff for y’all

4 Likes

I’m in.
This is an amazing idea. I absolutely love this.
I’ve messed around with making strings a little but have made only like 3 types that I’m proud of. I never had the intention of making strings for other people, but I think I can come up with something people might enjoy.

3 Likes

Very cool. Wish I had the time to join the fun. Maybe the next round!

4 Likes

I’m down. Sounds like a good time.

Upon deeper consideration, it is probably unwise for me to commit to this. I have far too much on my plate to take this on @Avvatar

4 Likes

Okay. I’m down! Sounds fun!

3 Likes

I’m in, but even at 25 strings, I’d have a tough time keeping up and I’d rather not disappoint. At some point, it might be worth splitting into smaller groups of exchanges. Slightly less fun, but also less work. Also, I’m a short-ish dude, and use shortish strings, so a minimum length specification would be helpful so I can adjust accordingly and order supplies.
Regardless, thanks for setting this up, what a great idea!

7 Likes

@pmdon
You have a point. I think that the “magic number” for a split is twenty. I make these with a doorknob and a drill, so I understand where you’re coming from. That’s one of the reasons I’m not planning on shipping until March. It will give us time to make “x” strings.

I suggest that we review this again if/when we hit 20.

7 Likes