2019 YYE Awards

He wasn’t talking about you dude.
He was totally talking about me!
ME ME ME!!!

–edit–
haha I sure hope everyone that reads this gets I’m only kidding! :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

oh… oh my…

6 Likes

Totally agree with you too…Moon’s Trick-A-Week has really invigorated my love for the hobby as well! :heart:

4 Likes

Of course, and here he is talking about me, not you.
He says he enjoys seeing someone make progress. :rofl:

4 Likes

Oh dang! Shots fired!!! lmfao! >.<’

4 Likes

https://sayingimages.com/wp-content/uploads/let-the-hate-flow-through-you-emperor-palpatine-meme.jpg

3 Likes

Thank you so much man!

4 Likes

Awww Blushes in Canadian

2 Likes

Yoyos :

• Favourite mono-metal of 2019
    n/a
  • Favourite bi-metal of 2019
    Edolass with the Banshee SS at a close second
  • Favourite plastic of 2019
    PLSTC
  • Favourite 0A/responsive of 2019
    n/a
  • Favourite Titanium of 2019
    n/a

Industry :

• Favourite yoyo store of 2019 (For the purpose of this forum there is only 1 correct answer :joy:)
    YYE
  • Favourite yoyo company of 2019
    One Drop
  • Favourite industry person of 2019 (Be it a manufacturer, store keeper, influencer etc)
    Gentry Stein
  • Favourite string company of 2019
    Sochi and Markmont.

People :

• Favourite Forum Member and why (can be multiples, I will give examples using my answer)
    Really appreciate @twitch77 being here
  • Favourite yoyo competitor
    Kieran Cooper
  • Most inspirational yoyo related person in general
    Evan Nagao
  • Super Rookie of 2019 (Most improved player)
    n/a
  • Favourite person to watch for videos
    n/a
6 Likes

I feel like a couple other good categories are:

Most important yo-yo released in 2019:
What new yo-yo do you think had the most influence in/significance to the hobby/sport?

TiVayder for what it represented.

I also considered the Doc Pop Weekender and Eh, as symbols of the continued resurgence of responsive play but decided that as that’s more of an ongoing trend it can’t be uniquely associated with 2019.

Most unique/innovative yo-yo released in 2019:
Self-explanatory.

My vote is for the C3 IX, both in design and the intent of the design.

The TopYo Robusta’s completely throughbody SS ring is pretty crazy too, as well as the Sengoku ERCIM

I think it’s important to recognize design that advances or alters yoyoing as a hobby or sport, either through enhancement and refinement or innovation.

2 Likes

I can’t just pick a top for each category so easily since I got so many impressive yoyos in 2019, but here is a list of some:

Bi-metal “Butter” Shutter - I guess that I shouldnt be surprised that this is a good throw, but I still am. Maybe because im just generally not a fan of the bi-metal feel, idk. Nevertheless it plays like a better WA and doesn’t have the stiffness that I expected out of the bi-metal addition. Put this in an “exceeds expectations” category.

PDX Batsquatch - Everyone talks about how lovely this yoyo is, and indeed it is. Yet another bi-metal that imo hides that bi-metal stiffness that I think plagues most bi-metals, but still retains extra spintime that this shape doesn’t usually have. I love how easily I can control this yoyo. Id put this in the “best bi-metal category”.

ILLY 2019 2WEI - Yes it is a remake, but it is tweaked AFAIK, so it qualifies. This is one of those organics that @zslane would likely chuck into the trash, but its unforgiving nature makes it a tough and welcome challenge to keep on plane, its narrow gap makes it extra special for binds (or regens if you are into that), and its classic organic shape makes it comfortable. I love just picking this one up and throwing my easier to land combos. Im not sure I have a specific category for this one.

YYF Edgeless - Who is making hollow metal yoyos in 2019? YYF is, and it is absolutely fantastic! This is basically the anithesis of the Edge lineup, but definitely not in a bad way. It is an organic shaped throw that feels light and floaty and smoooth. I feel like the concept was completely nailed on this yoyo. Every other yoyo feels angular and sharp compared to this thing. I had to tune it to my liking with new pads and a thicker string, but once I found my ideal setup this thing is a joy to throw. One of my favorites this year without a doubt. I think this is tied for first in the “unique yoyos” category of 2019 for me.

Freshly Dirty Rooster - What is the other “unique yoyos” winner? This yoyo. Not only is it a bi-metal organic, it is also a throwback to a previous generation of yoyos because it utilizes a D-size bearing. After throwing this I can understand why the C-size bearing dominates the current yoyo scene, but that isn’t because D bearings make bad yoyos. I love how the extra RPMs from the smaller bearing along with the bi-metal design of the Rooster compliment each other. This thing spins forever! It tends to be slightly snaggy because of the smaller diameter (the main reason why Cs reign supreme today), but if you play to the pros of the yoyo rather than the cons this thing is an absolute beast.

Ti-Vayder - As it was intended, this was mine (as well as many others) first experience with a titanium yoyo and it did not disappoint. Basically the perfect EDC. I loved seeing the re-emergence of the Ti-Walker, from the ups and downs to the catharsis of a previously damned yoyo company come into fruition on these forums. I will remember this yoyo (and play it) forever. Probably the most iconic yoyo of 2019.

YYF Ti-888 Forever - You can’t mention the Ti-Walker remake without the next big Ti remake of 2019. The 888 seems to be a very polarizing yoyo, mostly because of the negatively received revisions of it over the years, but the older models still retain their hype. So my interested were immediately piqued when this yoyo became introduced despite never playing an 888, so I kept an eye on it. I ended up missing out on the Kickstarter, but I was able to snag a gold one from YYE. And yep, I understood the love for it on first throw. Undersized (for today’s standards) are one of my favorite size/shape types to throw. I had just recently got the General Yo 5 Star (wont include on this list because it is a re-release and not a remake) and the 888 has that similar feel. Except with hubstacks (more on that later)! Along with the Ti-Vayder, I put this in the category of best remake/throwback yoyo of 2019. Except this is now the definitive version because it is titanium. Thanks go to YYF and the backers for making this a reality.

YYF Skyline - Now this is where I talk about hubstacks. I bought this yoyo because I wanted in on some of the 888 hype and wanted to experience the feel of a hubstacked yoyo. I fell in love with hubstacks with this throw. It might be a gimmick, but I don’t care since I can do different things with them that are fun and cool alike. Like the advertisement says, this was created as an evolution of the 888, and the wider angle does indeed provide for a more forgiving usage of the hubstacks than the organic 888. I honestly don’t know if this was re-designed at all (so it may be invalid as a 2019 yoyo), but I think this yoyo is significant enough to warrant mention. The undersized design makes it easy to use the hubstacks, and the V/H shape of it prevents the string from snagging as easily as the 888. Also the budget price of 39.99 is fantastic. Consider this in the “best budget yoyo” of 2019 category for me.

RSO Bowl 7068 - Everyone rants and raves about the A-RT Grail as the ideal organic, but since I have yet to play one, I will just have to ignore it for the time being. The Bowl on the other hand I did buy, and imo it is the ideal full size organic. It has the ideal weight and float and is just overall a great experience. Most of the yoyos on my list so far have some unique feature or whatnot to them, but this one is a no frills design. So maybe put this in the “best monometal” of 2019 category?

Ill address some of the other categories more briefly (sorry about the blog-like post, im getting carried away, lol):

Markmont Strings - im not sure how active his business was pre-2019, but I feel like his strings have come more into the limelight this year. Enough for me to hear about and try them. These strings are something else! I was skeptical about a long-lasting poly until I tried it, and while the feel is slightly different than standard poly, it is even better. Im having a hard time going back to old strings because between Cumulous Foam, Night Moves, and Blue Eyes White Dragon, I feel like these are the ultimate yoyo string.

Zipline Strings - And the honorable mention for strings goes to such a nice family owned company. Despite my pining for the Markmont formulas, Zipline has also been doing fantastic things this year. The improvements to the sponsor strings cant go unnoticed. Overall it is just a better version of any of their original formulas and plays soft and predictable. Very nice. I am particularly impressed with their Executive Class Lite strings however. I have been preferring the rough nature of the Markmont formulas, but honestly these are soft without being slick in a way that I find to be an amazing pairing with some yoyos. I prefer this to Airetic.

Yoyo Expert - @AndreBoulay and @YoYoExpertGarrett continue to be excellent members of the yoyo community, and I give props to all of their efforts in 2019. Thanks for all that you do!

8 Likes

Yoyos :

• Favourite mono-metal of 2019 - YYF NineDragon
  • Favourite bi-metal of 2019 - Magicyoyo Stealth
    *Favourite plastic of 2019 - YYF Loop2020
  • Favourite Titanium of 2019 - Ti-888

Industry :

• Favourite yoyo store of 2019 - YYE
  • Favourite yoyo company of 2019 - Magicyoyo
  • Favourite industry person of 2019 - @ winnie_magicyoyo
  • Favourite string company of 2019 - Kitty String

People :

• Favourite Forum Member and why - N/A because I’m new member…
  • Favourite yoyo competitor - Shu Takada
  • Most inspirational yoyo related person in general - N/A because Yoyo attract to me
  • Favourite person to watch for videos Shu Takada
6 Likes

IM WHEEZING

5 Likes

Haha I’m newbie on playing yoyo
Although it very noisy…it make some funny for me :laughing:

2 Likes