2015 Battle of the Elders (30+) - People's Choice winners p23

I used to be a looper back in the day. Should be fun to go back and dabble. Thanks!!!

Get on yo’ stall and kickflip game, too. They’re a lot of fun. Have a look at yooldman’s entry in this very contest for some inspiration. :slight_smile:

PM me your info and I’ll get these heading your way.

smacks self in forehead I meant to PM you right away… I must’ve been pulled away from the computer by young children. That’s my excuse!

OK, all, a small update:

One of the remaining judges is nearly complete! The final judge made his very best effort but in the end had to admit to me that he couldn’t pull together the time quickly enough.

As a result, I asked the first person that came to mind: Adam Brewster! Adam has been a fixture and a legend in the yoyo world for a good long time and I value his opinions and experience. He’s the right fit for this contest because (just as with the rest of the judging panel) he’s able to see the value and beauty in all kinds of tricks, not just “contemporary contest” type tricks. He’s got an amazing sensibility and will make a great addition to this contest.

Results should be available sometime this week, although I can’t predict how long deliberation will be on best banger/video or judge’s choice either. :wink: I’ll try to make it fast turnaround. :slight_smile:

Once that’s done, the remaining 2 random draws!

Can’t wait to give away these yoyos and accessories!!!

3 Likes

Update: The judging is done! I have to tabulate the scores and then conference regarding Best Video/Banger.

4 Likes

Awesome

I just stumbled upon this thread tonight. These videos are all so good! You guys can really throw!

1 Like
1 Like

Keep that drum rolling. :wink:

If I can confess to one of my biggest gaffes as the event’s primary organizer, it is keeping the prize allocation sorted out. The overarching goal: get as many prizes to as many people as possible, while making individual wins still feel like a haul.

Consequently, I’m trying to avoid overlap where possible. So, People’s Choice will go to a winner who didn’t win one of the other major prizes (it can still go to a random draw winner, though). So I have to wait for the final announcements before running that poll… and while Best Banger/Video can overlap with prize winners as well, I don’t want to announce the winners until the Banger/Video are selected! Then there’s the Judge’s Choice, which frankly although nobody has complained makes me feel guilty about… they’ve done so much already and I’ve got this one extra task for them. :wink:

In any event, the net result of all this prize thinking is: I want to announce pretty much everything in ONE MASSIVE SHOT! before moving on to the People’s Choice poll.

Since there are still a few more decisions to be made (banger/video/judges), I need a few more days. Then on Thursday, if everything goes according to plan I will make all the remaining prize announcements (!!!) except the People’s Choice… and I will share a link to the People’s Choice poll.

Greg

5 Likes

I’m excited :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your hard work, dedication, and vigilance Greg! we all really appreciate it. Like alot.

2 Likes

Trying to wait patiently but I have to ask: any news or announcements?

Yes.

Preparing to announce all the prizes. They’re all judged, voted on, picked, etc.

I haven’t done the remaining two random draws yet. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow idk about you other “elders” but i feel like a little kid being excited for the results lol

1 Like

I’m right there with ya.

Alrighty… let’s see if I can do this without messing everything up. THE PRESSURE, I CAN’T HANDLE IT!

After much deliberation, the judges’ decisions are in!!!

In the “Beginner’s Division” (under a year), here are your winners:

3rd place: vonklinger!

2nd place: dust!

1st place: old_spinner!!

In the “Advanced Division” (over a year), here are your winners:

3rd place: SpawnoftheED!

2nd place: Ricardo Marechal!

1st place: muu!!

The “Best Banger”

The winner of the Best Banger happened to be one of our winners as well. This one was hard to pick with so many amazing tricks being submitted. The winner is:

Muu with his amazing “double-slack madness” found in the combo at 0:43 of his video

The “Best Video”

Again, one person’s criteria for what makes a video the “best” is not always the same as another’s. There were many candidates for Best Video, for a variety of different reasons. In the end after some serious thought, one winner emerged:

peter wins for his creative special effects, use of locations and camera angles, and general sense of “yoyoing… this is fun stuff…” he brought to his video.

The “Judge’s Choice”

You would think by now that saying “Man, this was a hard one” is just a line I’m feeding you, but trust me, it’s not. After all the scoring and prize selection, how do you then expect to agree on a vague sentiment of “You know, that video was just cool?” when there are so many cool videos? But the judges finally pulled if off and picked:

pissto43, who put something out there that the judges ultimately wanted to tip their hats to! I cannot possibly speak for all the judges, but I can say that I also found myself viewing this one a number of times.

This leaves a few things still, but my evening suddenly became booked!! MAN! Here’s what’s remaining:

1. Coin toss to determine which packs go to which divisions!
  2. Final 2 random draws
  3. Creating and sharing a link to the PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD!!

We’re not done yet, but I think this is the post you have been waiting for. :wink:

I will wrap up these final 3 items AS SOON AS I CAN!

5 Likes

Congrats to all the winners

1 Like

Congrats to all the winners! Big thanks to Greg, the Judges, Yye and sponsors for making this possible. Let’s do this again! Long live the Elders! :blush:

1 Like

Im smiling ear to ear right now. This is crazyness! Hahahhaaa
Im so thankful to be part of this awesome community. <3 all around! you all so awesome!

3 Likes