2015 Battle of the Elders (30+) - People's Choice winners p23

I’m not done talking up how awesome our sponsors and judges have been, but I wanted to take a moment to put on the same page as the results a HUGE THANK YOU to the judges.

After I handed off the task, it quickly became obvious what a real job it is. They watched the videos multiple times, generated scores based on 3 criteria, while also identifying bangers and getting a feel for “best video”. And that was the easy part. Then when the “subjective” prizes (best banger, best video, judge’s choice) came along, they were pretty firm in who they really liked for each prize. This fired up more than one conversation and back-and-forth and determining the fairest way to make a selection.

In short: these guys cared about this contest and they cared about the contestants. They wanted to do right by you.

So please join me in extending a big thanks to:

Augie Fash
Daniel Dietz
Dazzling Dave Schulte
Adam Brewster
Ed Haponik

The contest owes everything to these 5 guys!

Thanks again!

3 Likes

HAHA! Failed by one post!!!

You know, I should be getting home (posting this after work), but I wanted to also drop a mega shout out to André and YoyoExpert, without whom there would LITERALLY be no contest.

As I bump this thread and operate as the “face” of the contest as it were, you may not be aware of the serious work André also put into it. Right from the time last year’s contest ended, he wanted to be even more actively involved in this one. None of what “I” have done was done in isolation…

-We decided together on the judging format and André guided me towards some people who might be receptive to judging.
-Simply by being a YYE contest with his involvement, I think that really helped pull together the incredible pool of prizes that the sponsors provided for us.
-As I hit bumps in the road, André was always there with his years of experience, giving me advice and suggestions to help the contest run smoothly.
-Each contestant who opts-in gets a free set of strings from YYE! It’s easy to forget about that bonus when there are big prizes on the line, but in terms of not only money but also time (packing, shipping), it’s a very substantial addition to the sponsorship!
-When I was trying to organize prize packs (and avoiding asking YYE for anything additional since they were already doing so much), the store came along with some sweet gift certificates, which I could then offer not only to the contestants, but the voters of the People’s Choice! It brought the prizes up to that next level!

Mainly, though, just his constant support and friendship throughout. André, you really are “the man”. (I’m an Elder… I’m allowed to still say “the man”).

THANK YOU!

5 Likes

WOW I won something!!! ;D
I am stoked beyond words!!!
Huge thanks to GregP and all the judges, sponsors, competitors and the yoyo community as a whole. I have had a pretty rough year but yoyoing and the community has been a real positive light in my life.

Thank you so much again!!!

2 Likes

Thank you so much. This was a really fun contest. Congratulations to all the winners and a big shout out to Greg for making it all happen. I cant wait for next year

1 Like

Congratulations to all the winners. It’s been so fun watching all the videos. Still have to keep watching them, people’s choice is going to be hard to pick. So many great videos.

1 Like

Thanks so much GregP! I’m glad I’m not the only old guy that enjoys throwing! Can’t wait till next year!

1 Like

Awesome job everyone in glad i had the chance to participate thanks again Greg p and all the judges and companies that made this happen

1 Like

Mega thanks to Greg and YYE and and all of the sponsors, judges and competitors! The yoyo community is awesome, I wish I would have found it earlier in my life. This is also the first time I’ve ever won anything at all! And seeing as I got married right around the same time I started yoyoing last year I haven’t been able to afford to buy as many yoyo’s as I’d like (which is ALL the yoyos…I want ALL of them) and the prize pack will more than double my current yoyo collection! Thank you so much!

1 Like

OK, after tonight, only the People’s Choice will remain!

The random draws are done.

Random draw pack #3: DavidNR!!!

Random draw pack #4: Yertle!!!

Congrats guys, hope you enjoy your prizes. :slight_smile:

By random coinflip, the 1st-3rd prize packs are allocated thusly:

1st, old_spinner: C3 Berserker SS, YYF Proton, MFD Accessories
2nd, dust: C3 Accelerator, YYF Primo, YYO Imp, MFD Accessories
3rd, vonklinger: Duncan (Flipside, Torque, Pouch) plus YYO Imp

1st, muu: Green CLYW Borealis, OD Format:C, MFD Accessories
2nd, Ricardo Marechal: C3 Accelerator, YYF Equilateral, YYO Musket, MFD Accessories
3rd, SpawnoftheED: Duncan (Flipside, Strix, Pouch) plus YYO Imp

Give me a minute for the People’s Choice poll. Probably won’t get it going until tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!

2 Likes

Thanks so much GregP And judges !!

;D

1 Like

So many good vibes in this thread… this is what yoyoing is all about right here. I’m not going to cry… I’m not going to cry…

It’s all too much! I LOVE YOU GUYS! bursts into manly tears

1 Like

This was such an awesome contest…i picked up a few tricks here n there…and got to see that 30 year old yoyoers can be cool too…hehehe ;D ;D ;D

1 Like

Wow!! Thanks so much GregP!
I’m so happy that I think it’s a dream!

I think very much honored to have won the 1st place prize and the Best Bunger Award.

I want to tell thanks to everyone who was involved in this contest. Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Big congrats to everyone. Had a lot of fun with this and I am already looking forward to stepping up my game for next year.

1 Like

The judges did it again. Congratulations to all of the winners. WELL DONE!

1 Like

To anyone who has won a prize thus far (congrats!!):

I have most of your addresses already (owing to the string giveaway), but over the next few days I will be dropping you a Private Message to confirm addresses and so forth.

The prizes are physically located in different locations, so there will not be just “one box” arriving. In the case of the stuff I have in my possession, it could take as much as a couple weeks to get to you. Hold tight, all of the things will be on the way in short order!

Been loving reading the comments. You folks are awesome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I received my random draw prize pack today. Special thanks to GregP and yooldman and of course the sponsors Yoyoexpert, Ed Haponik, John Higby/yoyopeople, Hildy brothers, and Duncan.

1 Like

That’s awesome, Simyo!! Those fixie packs are so great. I’d like to join you in thanking once again yooldman, Ed Haponik, and Hildy Bros!

THE LAST EVENT! “People’s Choice” (with prizes also for People’s CHOOSERS!)

I have created a poll into which you must enter your YYE username and then make 3 selections from the list of eligible contestants.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LZQZ2NM

“1st (top) choice” is the video that ideally you would like to see as People’s Choice. 2nd is naturally your next choice, followed by 3rd. At the end of the polling period, points will be allocated according to the tier of the vote, and then whoever gets the most combined points will be the winner!

In the event of a tie, I will open a second poll with a short turnaround (no more than a few days).

There is no real criteria for voting, but naturally you should do your best to judge videos the way you would want your own video to be judged. That’s not too onerous! :slight_smile:

Each validated YYE user who has cast their vote will be eligible for a final draw! 3 lucky voters will each get a $25 gift certificate from (our gracious sponsor and host!) YoyoExpert as a way of thanking you for taking the time to watch the videos and show your love!

Contestants are encouraged to cast votes as well (and most of them would threaten grievous injury via papercut to me if I tried to exclude them). But more importantly, the voting is opened to the community at large. Watch the videos in a few sets or as a binge! Or if you’ve seen them a bunch of times and know who you are voting for, go for it!

VOTING IS NOW OPEN! ----> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LZQZ2NM

Here are the videos!----> http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,88195.0.html (hey, if you haven’t watched the winning videos yet, you should do that while you’re at it!)