16 Ball Bearing

Apparently at worlds this year a 16 ball bearing was unveiled? Is this true and has anyone tried one?

Discuss…

:o

Pic

1 Like

I grabbed one out of pure curiosity.

It’s a nice bearing, it isn’t any nicer than any other nice bearing. Very similar feel to the current YYF and YYR bearings.

Kyle

2 Likes

Looks like it would be impossible to clean…could be a major downfall.

I can’t see how this could be any better than 8 or 10 balls, except maybe it’s quieter and less sloppy, but an 8 ball can do that too if maintained properly. Also yoyos don’t need bearings that are too precise (i.e not wiggly/sloppy), as long as they spin freely under little weight.

These have already been around for a while now
http://gd2.alicdn.com/bao/uploaded/i2/TB1ccRDIXXXXXXbXFXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_600x600.jpg

That looks like it only have onte track though.??

Are the inner races redundant?

It looks to me like there is only one inner race and that the middle ring is the cage.

it looks interesting but I don’t think the preformance increase will be that much

More ball-bearings = more friction. This is an example where more is less.

How does adding more ball-bearings make a better bearing for yo-yo’s? The only application that this makes sense for are for bearings that are required to carry heavy loads. More bearings can spread the weight more evenly while spinning. Other than that we are just adding mass and friction.

1 Like

This seems to make sense in my mind. More points of contact=more friction. Lets take it a step further. Would a bearing with less than 8 balls work well in a yoyo?, like a 6 or 4 ball bearing?

So then why are 10-ball bearings “better” than 8? This is certainly the case with One Drop 10-balls and CTX which are noticeably different than their 8-ball equivalents. Genuinely curious as to why this is.

Terrapin used to test that out like few years ago, I don’t remember which number of balls are tested, but I believe it was the 7 balls that had the best performance, and in the experiment he had bearings with less balls than 7 (up to 10 I believe).
I don’t think more balls always means more friction, since the balls are smaller, there is less contact point on each so even though there are more balls, there is less friction on each to cancel that out. As I said earlier, this is probably done to reduce slop for quieter and smoother feeling, and not necessarily about spin time.

Who says they are “better”? I find that plenty of 8-ball bearing are super quiet and smooth. Lots of 10-balls are not so smooth and turn loud after just a short time.

The tolerances that the bearing are made to is the determining factor in quality.

Well CLYW for one, they consistently say that their team prefer CTX so that’s what they put in their return tops. Obviously One Drop think their 10-balls are best or they wouldn’t put them in every throw since 8-balls would be cheaper.

I was thinking that more balls would mean not exactly more friction but more of a chance for more friction in that with each revolution, there are twice as many failure points to roll at a non optimal frictions if that makes any sense. It could all add up to the same amount of friction but that would be assuming everything to be a constant which is never the case.

I’ve never paid much attention but isn’t the diameter of the bearings different (8ball diameter is bigger)? If so wouldn’t the contact points be smaller on a smaller bearing? I would assume a 10 has less contact for this reason and is why they are quieter. Why else would they be quieter?.. But I could be wrong.

Yes on a ten ball bearing the balls are smaller