10 years smoke free! Not One Puff!

Thanks JHB :smiley:

Congrats, 2 years for myself in March

2 Likes

Still don’t smoke Jan was 2 years.

4 Likes

Congratulations again. Another year.

1 Like

I hope to one day be where you are in terms of quitting, I keep falling back into the same cycle.

Huge ups for the huge achievement, well done man :slight_smile:

I was at two packs a day in college . Quit one day cold turkey . Still have the urges from time to time.

This is also my motto as someone who never touched a cigarette and has no desire to do so.

Though I’m curious what your thoughts on cigars are. I think the general consensus is that they’re ‘cleaner’ than cigs. I’ll smoke maybe 3-4 stogies a year when I meet up with some friends. Would they trigger a relapse or craving for you?

2 Likes

I generally smoke a pipe on weekends, but during the week I don’t crave or miss smoking.

I suspect that there are artificial addictants (if that’s a word) in cigarettes that aren’t present in pipe tobacco or cigars because most addicts seem to be stuck on cigarettes, and the cigarette smokers that I know have no interest in smoking pipes or cigars even when they run out of cigs.

I also don’t inhale, my lungs have no tolerance for smoke (at least, not tobacco smoke) and I get a strong buzz just through puffing a pipe or cigar. The nicotine must absorb through the soft tissues in my mouth or something.

I understand the risk of cancer and I accept that risk.

Ivan

2 Likes

Hell yeah guys :smiley: Congrats!!

1 Like

Don’t be too hard on yourself man…it is very tough.
It does get easier though. It’s such a super cliche generic thing to say…but it’s true.
Different things work for different people…what worked for me was finding an online community of others who had or were in the process of quitting. I felt like I had an army of people 24/7 there to help me out. And a big part of it was me giving others support. I’d cheer them on…and in doing so, it made me feel stronger in my own quit.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it would. Or I wouldn’t want to try just in case.
I still consider myself an addict. I’ll be addicted to nicotine for life.
I don’t know the science of things here…but I think even though it’s been this many years now, the nicotine from a cigar or vaping or whatever could still trigger things for me physically in my brain.

I wouldn’t trust it for myself.

…though I do know the smell of others smoking does not bug me. My best friend is a heavy smoker and I hang out with her all the time and her smoking doesn’t trigger anything for me.

3 Likes

Yeah that would be me when I was a smoker.

Hey man no judgement from me at all :slight_smile:

I try hard not to be one of those people who frown on others for smoking. I’ve known people who quit then turn into snobs towards others who smoke and they really annoy me.

2 Likes

A trip to the ER with tightness in my chest was very motivational.

5 Likes

Was for me too.

2 Likes

Happy quit day…again Twitch77

8 Likes

Right on!!!

One more time for @twitch77

6 Likes

Hooray!

5 Likes

In October it will be 38 years for me. It’s been about 37 years since I missed it LOL. It was the most positive thing I’ve ever done for myself. When I quit I still had one unopened pack, but I chose not to open it. I carried that pack around for about 3 months, chosing not to open it day after day. I knew if I tossed them out, I would just go bum one from somebody. After a few months they went in the trash.

I can’t even imagine the expense of a 3- or 4-pack-a-day habit at today’s prices. When I quit they were about to go up to $1 per pack, and that was just too much.

7 Likes

For any of y’all who want to quit but can’t go cold turkey, and you’re open to taking medicine, ask your doctor about wellbutrin. My wife started taking it around when we got married, and quit smoking on our honeymoon because cigarettes just weren’t good to her anymore. I’m don’t know how long she took it, but probably not more than a year or two and she hasn’t had a desire to start again.

4 Likes

Not on the ‘center’ of the subject…. But Great insight into why a cigarette smoking alternative has Skulls and Crossbones written all over it.

Knowledge is Power>

5 Likes