Yyt Atlas? Yyt Chain mail CW?

Howdy howdy guys

I’m excited for 5A may!
I’m this close to ordering yyt atlas, it looks super appealing, especially for 5A may

So what are your thoughts on it?? I’d also prolly gunna order a chain mail counterweight with it since that seems super appealing, and was wondering what everyone thought of both of them!
I’m a beginner 5A player, I can hit bee sting consistently, and a couple others like tower stall and pendulum wrap. I’m wanting to get into more advanced 5A tricks later on and I’m a big Jake Elliot and YoTricks fan so this seemed like a good idea, and a nice set up with the counter weight, and just wanted to know everyone’s thoughts before I pulled the trigger :grin:

Thanks to anyone who shares they’re thoughts!
:blush: :heart_hands: :hugs:

4 Likes

I had an atlas a few years ago, I think it’s really underrated. It’s really floaty and doesn’t really feel that wide imo but the width definitely makes it more catchable. I haven’t tried the chain counterweight, I think it came with a delrin weight when I got it. It’s great for 5a cause it’s not too expensive, so you won’t be that afraid of dropping it.

3 Likes

From what I hear, their chain mail CWs are a rip off of some hand made ones by Dustin Gunter? I could have that name wrong. I’m sure someone will come along soon and correct me if I’m wrong.

I think you can still order a custom handmade one from the guy that actually makes them if you can find him on Facebook.

As for the atlas, I had two b grades at one point and they felt gimmicky to me with the crazy width. I don’t throw 5a very often though. I bet it’s good for that.

3 Likes

If they’re the same, what would be the benefits of ordering one of the custom made ones? I don’t mind paying a lil more to get them in the same order and not having to deal with paying for shipping and everything

Just to support the real creator of the chainmail CW. And the coolness factor of knowing you have the legit chainmail CW and not a copy. Plus custom colors. Mainly to support the community member who came up with these though. Not that yotricks isn’t apart of the community too, but yeah. They probably play and survive the exact same. Unless the man himself is supplying yotricks? Then it just comes down to color options!

1 Like

“The Throwback Chainmail Counterweight was designed by 5A Yoyo World Champion Jake Elliott inventor of the Ultraweight who was inspired by other intrepid yo-yoers who had made their own counterweights out of chainmail.“

I take this as it’s inspired by Dustin Gunter.

2 Likes

Jei has said they aggressively block any mention of Dustin Gunter’s counterweight design in their youtube comments, social media, and discord, which leads me to think they realize the way they did it was wrong.

2 Likes

Jei knows all the dirty secrets in the community. Also YoTricks has been really disconnected from the community these past 6 months or so and not really doing many of any drops so not sure what’s up but there are so many good yo-yos and yye has such a great selection. Also if Dustin is still doing the chain CW they came in some cool colors.

I don’t think they’re the same. I’m pretty sure Dustin uses titanium and silicone rings and YT uses aluminum or steel. I could be wrong. I remember reading somewhere that Dustin’s were better.

I gotta learn to stop saying stuff when I don’t actually know :joy:

2 Likes

I love to see a beginner 5a player! I hope you soon come to realize it is the far superior style out of all others /s. The atlas and chm weight are both crazy good, 5/5 would recommend. But if you’re looking at yo tricks, there are better weights there. I do recommend you get the chm because it’s really soft so your hands won’t look like mine, but performance-wise I would recommend a dedweight over a chm (I think they’re the same price) happy 5a!!!

5 Likes

So I know Dustin Gunter personally so if you can’t find him online I can probably hook you up. I do know that he does still make them when they are ordered

5 Likes

i wonder if dustin would be interested in sponsoring 5amay. hmmm. i should try to find and message this guy if anything to find out how much one of these cool cw are

3 Likes

Yeah I was mainly looking at the chain mail cw because it’s soft and wouldn’t hurt my hands, but would a ded head be better?
Should I get the ultra weight instead?

Do you know what the price difference would be? I might still prefer yyt if it’s like 20 bucks more

Look at scwrs

1 Like

They claim to be the original

(Hopefully this is legal? I tried to crop of any mention of their brands name)

1 Like

They don’t.

It specifically says jake “was inspired” (stole) the idea from “other intrepid yoyoers who had made their own counterweights out of chain mail”.

1 Like

Oh silly me I read it wrong
I thought it said “who has inspired” not “who was inspired”
:sweat_smile: :joy:

1 Like

It’s wide and floaty. Tons of center weight. For 5a I prefer the yoshicuda because of it’s rim weight, flow and stability

2 Likes

Atlas is a good start to 5a, the chainmail weight works really well with new players and figuring out how to not wack the hell out of themselves.

I actually have a gunter chainmail weight and it is a go to for learning or grinding new tricks

4 Likes