Yyr laser and yyr dazzler

I’ve heard people telling me that the laser is just like a dazzler except is aluminum. Idk if that means the laser plays the same as a dazzler (which I doubt a laser feels exactly like a dazzler). To those who tried/ owns both, share your opinions on the laser and dazzler? (comparison as well if it’s alright.)

I don’t think many Americans have both :smiley:

1 Like

dazzler is better

Some do. :wink:

They feel similar, in that their shapes are somewhat similar, but in play they’re very different. The Laser is quite a bit heftier, but not in a bad way. I’d say i’m the predominant anti-heavy-yoyo poster on this site, but i really love the Laser. The Laser is really amazing, just the design and quality of the yoyo is remarkable and honestly for ¥19,800 it’s a bargain. Dazzler plays great, and is a nice collector’s piece, but certainly no need to try and chase one down if performance is your sole criteria.

1 Like

I hear the dazzler is good for standup comedy. You bring an audience member on stage and tell them how much you paid for it then they crap their pants and it’s funny.

2 Likes

The Dazzler is probably the least spectactular of the Draupnir, Laser, and Dazzler. It’s just made of titanium so it’s stupid expensive.

Admittedly I just have the first two, but in any case the Laser is not an aluminum Dazzler. The specs and weight distribution are entirely different. Dazzler’s specs are 64/54/41 and Laser’s specs are 67/56/40.

I’m sure the Dazzler is a great yo-yo but is there anything about titanium that makes it better for competition than aluminum alloys? Sure, it makes better drill bits…but a better yo-yo? Unless you’re repeatedly smashing it into the ground I don’t see the advantage.

2 Likes

Titanium is good for hear dissipation. And money dissipation. That lovely pinging is worth the high price tag.

You can make sparks with a YYR throw, I don’t need more xD

All of a sudden walk the dog turns in to Back to the future time travel burnout!

i dont understand how you can knock on some product that youve never tried

I have no problem knocking on a product that is overpriced by 3 times what it should cost. Titanium doesn’t cost that much more than aluminum and it wears your tools slightly faster in production. I’d much rather buy 6 high end yoyos than one collectors piece that doesn’t even look very impressive in a display.

And how can you put a price tag on something that you’ve never used before?

I feel like it’s a punch to the stomach to charge so much for something that roughly costs 30-40$ to produce. I wouldn’t be surprised if they got into the pharmaceutical business.

Fav. Yo-Yo: Wooly Marmot II

I’m knocking the concept of titanium yo-yos and buying one rather than the Dazzler in particular. It’s likely the best titanium yo-yo ever made but that’s not saying a lot.

Think about it this way.

When YYR was selling Dazzlers they still had color Draupnirs in stock. Would you rather have a red Draupnir, a blue Draupnir, and a black Draupnir, for 59,400 yen, or one raw Dazzler, for 400 yen more?

Or if you don’t want three Draupnirs, get a Draupnir, a Laser, plus another yo-yo. Or you can have one overly hyped lump of metal that isn’t even as well reviewed as the Draupnir despite costing three times as much. I don’t need to spend $600 to figure out it’s not worth it.

Some people buy really expensive stuff, then tell themselves it’s the greatest thing ever to justify to themselves why they spent $600 on ONE yo-yo instead of making their car payment. It’s the placebo effect, for money.

Bottom line…if I ever see anyone with a tray of six Dazzlers at a competition and he didn’t get them through being sponsored, I’m going to punch him in the face for being a rich idiot, then walk away with $3.5k in yo-yos. 8)

its funny because anyone not in the yoyo community would immediately condemn you for owning 80-200 dollar metal yoyos.

there is a much stricter process when creating the dazzler, and what you don’t understand is how much harder it is for companies to machine titanium.

if you actually look at the difference in the cost for the machining in titanium, the price point is completely justified. SS is easy to machine, and press fitting isn’t even a big deal. machining out of titanium is a big deal.

the price tag, even though its expensive, is fine on the yoyo, considering that its a made in japan titanium yoyo, and any other product made with that precision would probably cost the same in japan. it sounds like youre salty that you dont have one when all the pros agree that its the best yoyo ever made.

Actually we do understand that. That’s why it’s stupid to machine titanium yo-yos. Titanium as a material is harder to work with but no better than some aluminum alloys for yo-yos, and just makes them ridiculously expensive.

IF the Dazzler really is the best yo-yo ever made it’s not because it’s made of titanium.

“All the pros agree that [the Dazzler] is the best yoyo ever made.” Really? Do all the pros have a Dazzler? And have you spoken with all of them?

I’ve only seen this yo-yo used ONCE at a filmed competition, JN2013. Most people in Japan, including sponsored YYR players, use Draupnirs. Do you think Akitoshi Tokibuchi, one of the premier member of Team YYR, couldn’t use a Dazzler if he wanted? I’m sure he could but he uses the Draupnir and so did virtually everyone else on YYR at JN2014. One player uses the Dazzler.

I’m not remotely jealous. I play 5A mostly. It looks terrible for 5A. That is all.

out of topic, but I don’t think Akitoshi is the premier member of YYR

Let’s try to get back on topic here everyone, the OP didn’t ask for a debate about your personal opinion on the value of machining yo-yos out of titanium. There are pros and cons with titanium yo-yos but the request was for opinions on how two specific yo-yos play.

If you have not even thrown the yo-yo in question then I really don’t think he is interested in your opinion on how it plays.

So - Two amazing yo-yos that are both made for competitive play. As mentioned before the Laser has a little more weight and does have a heavier feel on the string but this is not a negative. I prefer a slightly heavier yo-yo than one that’s too light. It is fast, stable, and with the 7075 weight ring it has amazing weight distribution and a unique feel during play.

The Dazzler has a slightly smaller diameter and lighter weight, 63 grams. It may sound too light but being made from titanium they were able to machine it with thinner walls and distribute the weight so beautifully that you forget how light it actually is. It has a faster feel than the Laser but is just as stable and long spinning through combos - and in my opinion it is a little more fun to throw (although very expensive).

Well he did ask if the Laser was basically an aluminum Dazzler. I do have direct knowledge that it is not, and spoke to that. Thread kind of wondered from there.

Anyway, your point on the relevance of the merits of titanium yo-yos is well taken. I’ll say no more about it here. I do take issue with the statement that “all the pros” think the Dazzler is the greatest yo-yo ever made, however.

The Laser has a 7075 ring? I thought it was steel.