YYR Chopsticks Gorilla vs iYoYo Titanic vs TopYo Twin Drive

I’m currently in the market for some high-end, expensive throws and have narrowed down my choices to these 3. If y’all own ANY of these 3 yoyos please tell me about how they play on the string. Like if it’s nimble and fast or if it’s solid with strong presence. Also a comparison to the YoYoFriends Hummingbird would be really helpful as it is my favourite throw. I like light, nimble and fast yoyos. Right now I’m leaning towards the Twin Drive. Thanks.

3 Likes

The Chopsticks Gorilla is currently my favourite bi-metal and has become something I throw daily.

My perception of how it feels on the string and in play is that it is certainly not on the light side, and tends towards being heavier than many of the modern 64g bi-metals are, which feel super light to me

In play it’s quick and agile, but again it doesn’t fly around with the same quickness as other bi-metals I own.

From your preferences stated above, I would venture a guess that the Gorilla will not be your favourite yoyo.

If you want a comprehensive comparison of the yoyos you have listed from an advanced yoyoer and connoisseur of bi-metals, we must summon the @Nocompromise

11 Likes

I share @FourCorner statements :100:.
I also own a titanic which is def closer to a hummingbird play wise. The only issue I have with it is that glossy finish else it is a very good TI especially for the price.
If you like iYoYo try to find a TiSSox which is an amazing throw.
Twin drive I do not own so no clue but potentially a good bet.

5 Likes

If you can find it, definitely go with the Twin Drive. I have the Titanic, Twin Drive and Hummingbird. The Twin Drive is much closer to the Hummingbird than the Titanic. They play quite similar but the Twin Drive feels a touch more rim weighted and a hair more solid. I like the Titanic too but it is definitely a bit slower, heavier and more stable than the other two. I also I prefer light, fast and nimble yoyos and if I could chose only one of the of the three it would be the Twin Drive.

I haven’t played the Chopsticks Gorilla but looking at the stats I’m guessing it is going to play heavy especially compared to the Hummingbird. It’s extremely popular however, and probably one of the best yoyos made. But if Hummingbird is your favorite, I think the Chopsticks Gorilla is probably not going to be what you’re looking for.

6 Likes

The Twin Drive is definitely nimble and fast.

3 Likes

@FourCorner is too kind to classify me as an advanced yoyoer. I suppose I’m advanced from where I started, which is really the only relevant metric. :grin:

The Gorilla is my absolute favorite throw, and I am impressed by it daily. I have the same impressions as FourCorner. It doesn’t have a light feeling on the string. I think it has that ‘Goldilocks’, just right, feel to it. It can certainly go fast, but doesn’t fly around effortlessly nor get out of control easily. It’s eminently controllable and has fantastic feel.

I don’t have experience with the Titanic or Twin Drive (I’ve been somewhat disappointed with other Ti and TiSS, so I am a more cautious purveyor), so I can’t be of much help. But, if the Hummingbird is your favorite, I would also hesitate to recommend the Gorilla.

7 Likes

I luckily have a Titanic and a Hummingbird and I would say the main differences are:

• Titanic has a 57 mm diameter and I feel has a longer spin time through my tricks than the Hummingbird. Titanic is the largest diameter yo-yo I own and might be the longest spinning yo-yo I own (I also own a Titanium Banshee, which is my current preferred throw). I was looking into the MK1 Converge mainly for extra spin time, being bimetal and 58 mm, but I prefer steeper edges to the rim of the yo-yo personally (currently :smile:).

• Titanic is 42 mm wide, being significantly thinner than the Hummingbird, and it is noticeable on the string. I think the Hummingbird is still faster though, not sure if it is due to it being 56 mm diameter or not.

• Titanic is extremely stable on the string, maybe not more stable than the Hummingbird but the extra mm diameter also seems to help (maybe). I would say the Titanic is slower than the Hummingbird, but again it might be due to its larger size.

For me (currently) I am preferring yo-yos 43 mm in width or wider. Do you have a 42 mm width yo-yo that you can try playing with? My Titanic is great for its currently unmatched spin time, high stability in a fully titanium throw, and confidence in knowing where the yo-yo is going and where it will end up; however there are times I wish it was wider and I miss the string (might just be me :sweat_smile:) when trying more densely technical tricks (where I’m in an awkward mount and it is tough to manipulate a string, or can’t pull on a string to make the catch zone larger), or whips, lacerations and hooks, which I feel better/more confident with a wider yo-yo. If 42 mm is your preferred width and you want something very stable and long spinning, I would say the Titanic is near perfect for that. I see iYoYo recently widened their Iceberg, I’ve been wondering if they might make a new Titanic with this same increased width.

Hope this was helpful :+1:

5 Likes

I second that.

3 Likes

Thank you all for all the wonderful responses. It seems like I should be looking more towards getting a Titanic or Twin Drive rather than the Chopsticks Gorilla.

2 Likes

Thank you for the comprehensive response. I think the 42mm width will not bother me much as I have a Ti-Vayder that I play quite often and I also play mini and slimline yoyos quite a bit. I think I’ll try to compare the titanic against the twin drive right now and see which one suits me more.

3 Likes

Does it have the unique titanium ring when you hit it with your finger or the string?

Have never owned a TiSS yoyo so I’m not very sure about that.

1 Like

It’s the only tiss yoyo I’ve thrown but it definitely feels different than any normal ti yoyo

2 Likes

Ah I see. That’s great.

Does it make this sound when you flick it?

1 Like

It has a ring but sounds different than other ti Yoyos. I’m assuming the stainless steel changes the pitch.

2 Likes

Ohhh that’s cool. Makes the twin drive even more attractive to me since it’s the most unique in terms of design among the 3 yoyos.

1 Like

I can compare the twin drive with the titanic because I own both of them.

The titanic i would say is the most stable of the two with a more solid feel on the string while the twin drive is more nimble with an almost hollow feel. Between the two of them i would say the titanic while a monometal is more powerful.

They both feel pretty premium in the hand. But none of them blows me out of the water. I would say bouth of them could have had more rim wight (especially the twin drive considering it is a tiss).
The titanic is dead smooth 10/10 you can not tell it is spinning (well it is shiny so you can tell but believe me is the smoothest titanium i have)
The twin drive has a a little vibe but nothing serious 9/10
Value for many i would say they are both equal. The twin drive is a tiss at 300$ (half of the cost of the tiss hummingbird or other tiss yoyo) while the titanic is a 250$ monometal but comes in the nicest case ever

If you want my personal advice go with the twin drive as I have had a lot more fun with it.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for posting in this thread as your first post after a year, I really appreciate it. It seems like I should take your advice haha because the twin drive looks to be up my alley. Amazing pictures by the way. Out of curiosity, what throw blows you out of the water?

3 Likes

I am glad if I could had help you the twin drive is quit a fun yoyo and a unique design (because of the double ss rings). As to what yoyo blows me out of the water there are 2. If we are speaking pure performance then I would say the tiss hummingbird.
It is the most rim weighted yoyo i have ever tried and it is incredibly stable (when I said the twin drive is not that rim weighted for a tiss it was compared with tis one as it is the only other tiss yoyo i have)

If we are speaking play i would say the ultima (monometal version) it is the embodiment of what a titanium yoyo should be like. Incredible stability and rim wight but light and i would say just a little bit floaty. It plays like a bimetal. It is my favorite yoyo and although it is not as powerful or stable as the tiss hummingbird it is more fun to throw for me.

7 Likes

The Titanic is awesome!! Very dapper too.

2 Likes

I think @Hanker was wondering about how the Twin Drive and the Titanic sound. Like most titanium bimetals, if you flick the Twin Drive with your finger you will get a thud, where as the Titanic will ring like a bell. Both will ring a bit on the string, with the twin drive giving a lower softer tone and the Titanic giving a louder higher ring.

2 Likes