YYF STARLITE

YYF StarLite Review.

Hello and thanks for reading this review.

The YYF Protostar was my second plastic unresponsive yoyo and for several months it had been one of my main throws. I like the shape of it very much and the weight maintains really great spin times. So when the Starlite came along, I was stoked. I own a Duncan Pulse which I loop with in the dark but of course, you can’t play 1A or 5A with it , therefore the Starlite was a no brainer.
The packaging is the typical YYF box, however the color scheme is attractive and compliments the yoyo nicely.

Already familiar with the shape of the yoyo it was a natural feel, but what struck me the most was the weight difference. Yoyoexpert states the weight at 65.7 grams and the Protostar is at 67 grams. So that difference really makes a difference! For a full size throw, this one plays fast!

SPECS:
Diameter: 56 mm / 2.20 inches
Width: 43.50 mm / 1.71 inches
Weight: 65.7 grams
Bearing Size: Center Trac Bearing
Size C (.250 x .500 x .187)
Response: Central Bearing Co - CBC Slim Pad

I have to say that I really like the 65-66 gram weight class. I like the Protostar too, but the Starlight is just so much sweeter in my opinion and thanks to the shape has excellent spin times just like the protostar. I would say the protostar lasts a bit longer but I can do the same combos on the starlite as I can with the protostar. Like the Protostar however it has the same grind faults, there are no irgs or good finger grinds. But it does everything else. And I would add that an ideal set up for protostar fans or those Unfamiliar to it, is to have all three, the Starlite, Protostar and Northstar so you can have that shape and also play around with the different weights. Sometimes I wanna go heavy, other times light, so it’s a nice luxury to have for practice.

Let’s talk about the GLOW feature which is the main selling point. Most glow in the dark materials have a relatively short glow span with daylight or imitation daylight exposure. Charge this under a light for 10 or 15 min and you might get 10 solid minutes before it fades out, and even so it is still rather dim. The ONLY way to really enjoy this throw for glow the way I see it, is using Black light. Otherwise it’s just pointless because you’ll be charging over and over again. Under black light it just GLOWS always, and looks like its floating about in the air. I really produces a stunning and hypnotizing effect. So if you get one of these, get a black light too, you won’t be sorry for the extra expense. (The Glow Pic below is under Black Light by the way.)

For $23.99, you just can’t go wrong with the Starlite!!

Any further questions, feel welcome to ask.

Thanks!

Does it play exactly like a protostar b/c i have been hearing that it is just a watered down protostar

:frowning:

Hello,

I would not call it a watered down Protostar, it stands on it’s own really. Main difference is the weight. This model has no weight rings and plays faster than the protostar. Same shape, center trac bearing etc. It’s really about the weight, if you like heavier throws or lighter ones. I personally like it better than the Protostar.

I loved mine until the other day. It fell off my table, and I didn’t notice I’d thrown a towel over it. Walked into my room, stepped onto the towel, and heard a pop.

I think I died a little inside.

But, no, pretty good review :wink:

thank you

thx!

I feeeel your pain… The other day I whacked my new singularity and I felt my heart sink hehe.

What made it worse is that it was a Christmas Present T.T

ooooh, extra doubly painful!

so I have a northstar and I like the weight sometimes and sometimes I like the weight on the starlite. should I really get the one in between (protostar)? is the weight different enough?

Hi!
Well I can tell you from my experience that there is noticeable weight difference between 67 (Protostar) and 65.7 Starlite. I like the Protostar very much so I would think you will like it too. It offers great spin times and you can do great combos with it.

Just to let you guys know, it’s possible to put rubber o-rings around the hub of the yo-yo to increase the weight of the starlite and make it quieter. The same size o-ring will also work around the hub of the Velocity. You should be able to find these at any hardware store.

the only thing bad about this yoyo is that it’s not durible i droped mine and one of the nuts got bent and now it just sits their

Where do you get back light and how much does it cost?

Hi! Check out Blacklight.com. I got the flourescent screw in type, as it can be screwed into any regular light socket. and you can take it with you if you’re visiting friends to put on a cool show. plus they are energy savers so it’s all good. bulb is $10.75

take it easy.

Sorry I missed this somehow… but I just got the same advice too recently on the Duncan Metal Driffter. So these rings just stay in there then?? No glue needed??

Is it a responsive yoyo