YYF Primo review by Hardcore_Max

Ratfacedudeguy

Hows YYN flowable silicone?

Gets the job done just fine.

@ ratfaceddudeguy, thats actually I really good idea, I actually never thought of comparing, the next review I do I will definatly put a comparison section in.

@broyo13, I recomend using dow corning 730 RTV sealant. I use it in all of my throws as a replacement for all response types.

I know you said it grinds well, but how does it grind compared to a normal bead blast finish? I donā€™t have any experience with the groove lines. The groove lines appear to end before the edge of the yo in pictures. I would think that would effect itā€™s ability to grind smoothly. I wish yoyofactory would get on board with bead blast finishes. It would make most of my buying decisions a lot simpler.

the groves go almost all the way to the edge of the rims the is about 3mm of smooth rim on the outer edge. I cant compare the grooves to a bead balsted finish because I dont have a bead blasted finish yoyo yet, I think the hattrick does and I will have one of those by mid next week so I will post the difference back on here.

Finally I have found something that kinda bad about the primo I have, it is that the anno finish is very very thin. Do not ask how I found this out as it is quite a fustrating series of events.

Thanks, Iā€™m really interested to find out. I got a Skyline a month or two ago, and after using a yo with a proper grinding finish I swore Iā€™d never buy another yo without one. With a proper finish you can easily have the yo grind in place on your arm/hand, not ā€˜walk the dogā€™ up your arm like my Superstar does.

I believe this is the case with most/all yoyofactory premium yos. The lightest brush with a wall/floor, and I mean light swipe, and your new $100+ yo now has scuffed rims. My Superstar and Skyline are both already scuffed.

Well, you have to understand that an anodized dye finish is only micrometers thick ā€“ yes, thatā€™s right: micrometers thick regardless of what yoyo you use. Whatā€™s more, a coat of actual protective sealant would detrimentally retract from playability so the yoyos we play will only have that extremely thin layer of unprotected dye. In addition, if YYF is using 7075 grade aluminum alloy on their premium throws now (which I can only speculate), that may also contribute to the fragility of the dye as that alloy is less conducive to accepting anodizing and dye. But in exchange you get a higher grade aluminum with a more consistent machining quality. Life is full of tradeoffs and compromisesā€¦

its just wierd that my DV888 had recieved a lot more abuse before I polished the rims than my Primo, but as you say it could most likely be the type of aluminium alloy used.

Get your hattrick yet? Been curious as to how the grooves compare to the beadblast. No one really seems to be talking about the Primo too much.

i tried a primo today and I own a hatrick, and the bead blasted hatrick wins on grinds. the grooves help on the primo, but nothing can compare to general-yos ultimate bead blasts.

1 Like

Yeah I got my hatrick the other day and as for grinds the hatrick wins hands down, the the hatrickā€™s bead blast finish is superior to the Primoā€™s grooves.

1 Like

hey, whatd you think of the hatricks play? when i got mine i immediately new it was my perfect yoyo, but alot of my friends take weeks or even months to come up with a finalized decision on the yoyos play. no matter what you think right now, congrats! sweet yoyo.

Thanks for the input guys. Thatā€™s kind of what I was expecting. Without a good beadblast, I donā€™t think the Primo differentiates itself enough from a stackless Superstar. I think I can save my cash on this on.

thats what one would assume, but after getting my primo as a gift and using my friends superstar, i do have some notes.

the superstar is faster. not floatier, faster. for me, i found the wait distribution really helped it move on the string, and so did the shape. the primo, although lighter, played very flowy to me, kinda like a non-floaty punchline. naturally i like speedy yoyos, so i like the superstar more in this respect, but my friend liked the primo more.

in terms of feel, they both have that high quality YYF feel. the stability is what i found the most interesting. although you would think the hubstacks on the superstar would make it more stable, i found that the primo tilted less in long combos.

both had good binds.

verdict:

these yoyos are really just different versions of the same beast. if you like large throws, i think you actually might enjoy the different feel and speed of the primo. the stability is very nice.

1 Like

Thanks for the extra input. Very interesting to hear a comparison with the Superstar as Iā€™m very familiar with it. You are correct on the hubstacks being detrimental to stability. Iā€™ve taken the hubstacks off of my Superstar and Skyline. Removing the hubstacks makes them play surprisingly better. Lighter feel, smoother, more stability, longer spin timeā€¦hubstacks just need to go away in my opinion.

The hatricks play is good for sure, but I still wouldnt say that is my most favorite player at the moment. It is a bit snaggy on some binds, im not sure if its my technique or if the response pads just need to be broken in some more. My Primo is still my no.1 throw at pressent, there is one more yoyo I want to get and thats a skyline.

my friend actually bought a skyline when i got my hatrick and i really liked it. i like it a little more than the primo, but a little less than the hatrick. the reason im not in love with the primo is because its not my cup of tea in size, but like you said in the review, i would love to see it in the now normal, 40 width 50 diameter category.