YYF 44 special bearing problem.

so i’ve only had my 44 special for around 3 weeks, and i was about to go thru and maintain my collection. i set up my table, de-bearing’d both of my protostars and my northstar, and then began to try to remove the bearing from my 44.
nothin’ doin’.

the CT bearings are pretty easy to remove because i can catch the groove of my pliers on the edge of the lip of the bearing, but the SPEC in my 44 is in there really tight.

i ended up putting a little more pressure than i’m comfortable with on the pliers, thus making a small groove in the edge of the bearing. now, it’s somewhat responsive and makes a little noise (was pretty quiet and dead unresponsive before). there’s still absolutely no vibration or anything so it plays well, but my spin times have decreased and it’s became responsive.

i’d like to know how to properly remove this thing without busting it all together, and hopefully a good cleaning will get it back to playing 100% unresponsive.

so i tried the freezer trick and it worked like a charm. i cleaned the SPEC bearing really well and its still super slow and responsive (i’m running it dry btw). looks like while i was struggling to remove it i’ve caused some sort of permanant damage. so now im stuck using a lame CT bearing in this super nice throw until i can get a replacement :/. anyone know where i can find the same identical bearing for cheap? im pretty sure its the same SPEC thats in all of the upper end YYF’s.

Cheap, no, but you can buy a replacement from this very website, imagine that :wink: