YoYoStringLab

I hope to make it to the contest and If I do I’ll have to restock on some yellow Type-X :slight_smile:

I haven’t posted in this thread yet, so I figure it must be about time.

First of all, YYSL is my favorite string manufacturer. Matt is one of the treasures of the yoyoing community and the string he makes is incredible. When he first started I had the opportunity to be one of the testers and I’ve been throwing nothing but YYSL since.

Matt’s drive to make the best string in the world seems to be insatiable and has pushed him to create what I consider to be the most consistently excellent string there is. What you’ll notice after you’ve thrown a lot of YYSL string is that it all plays the same. A Type 1 string in any color will play exactly like a Type 1 string in any color made a year prior. There is absolutely no variation in quality and feel. Type 2 and Type X follow that rule down to the letter.

Because of this consistency, I’ve decided to undertake a massive review of Matt’s string from the first tester pack he released to the amazingly good Type X he’s producing today. I swear, if Matt keeps doing what he’s doing, YYSL will be on every throw in the competitive circuit before year’s end.

Matt, thank you so much for what you do. I’ve reaped countless hours of enjoyment out of your strings and they’ve helped me realize my yoyoing potential in a way no new yoyo possibly could.

As far as I’m concerned, yoyoing performance goes like this: 1/3 string, 1/3 yoyo, 1/6 response, 1/6 bearing. If you’re willing to spend upwards of $100 on a brand new yoyo, why would you use bargain-bucket polyester string that doesn’t perform nearly as well as what Matt has to offer at only a slightly more expensive price? You owe it to yourself to at least give his string a shot.

To any of you who haven’t yet tried YYSL string, I’m willing to send out a few small sample packs of each type to get you started. To be clear, I have no affiliation with YYSL or Matt other than a friendly relationship and a huge appreciation for his products. Feel free to PM me if you’d like a few of the best strings in the world to take your throwing to the next level.

1 Like

At the “Lab” we’ve got something exciting in the works that will be released at Cal States. We’ve been incredibly lucky to have an iconic player ask for something special. Soon you will have a chance to experience the results of this collaboration. I can’t wait for everyone to see it and try it out.

There’s a lot of things I’m bummed out about missing at Cal States, and this is one of them. Can’t wait to eventually see/hear about what you guys have been working on!

And, the new signature string comes in some pretty awesome packaging that ties in with the Lab theme. One of the cool things is how it dispenses the string.

A falcon tube? :smiley: Intrigued…

Good guess. But nope. :smiley:

Falcon tube was my guess too. Can’t wait to see what it is.

I have been working like a mad scientist in the “Lab” making up lots of Type X and the new signature string for Cal States. I finally finished up late last night. In addition to 10 packs, we will also have some bundles of 100 for both types. The bundles come with a laminated tag, so people can easily identify their YYSL string type. Now, we’ve just got to pack it all up. See you there!

I just saw the pic of the new stuff on FB- Looks really cool! First opportunity I get to try some, I will.

Just got some of the Type X in the mail today. I am loving how it plays! Holds it’s tension very well.

1 Like

If I have enough cash after buying a Summit then I will check you guys out. I have never heard a bad thing about YYSL so I am sure that I will not be disappointed;)

EDIT: I love your Ammo string. It is still bouncy after a few hours. I am not disappointed.

1 Like

Whoa, what a great time we had at Cal States.

We introduced our new signature string in collaboration with JD! It’s called AMMO, and by the time we were packed up to leave, we were completely out of it. I’ll let you know more about it after I catch up on some sleep, but real quickly, it’s a thicker string than Type X, but still has that bounce, great feel and play.

The packaging, as you might have seen on the Cal States Facebook page is a test tube with a plastic screw on cap. More details to come after some zzzzzzzz.

UPDATE: Ok, here is a photo of JD with my son Joel and the test tubes of AMMO.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8372/8526740097_45a86d20b4_z.jpg
JD & Joel with AMMO by YoYoStringLab, on Flickr

This string is great :smiley: I’ll try and do a short review of it this week.

Neat! My son (3.5-yo) is very into science… I can see him flipping out over the packaging (and the fact that he’ll get new test tubes for his experiments).

The tubes are awesome! I saw them at cal states and they allow you to take out one string at a time! I should have bought a pack but i atleast got a sample :wink:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8228/8536542834_e93eb45265_z.jpg
Cal States 2013 - YYSL table by YoYoStringLab, on Flickr

Nice, Matt. I want to swing by that booth and grab some string. :wink:

Cool, I really would like to try some Ammo :).

I recently finished a very thorough review of the currently available YYSL String Types.  It can be found here:

If you’re interested in trying YYSL, read it, then buy some string!