Yoyofactory Essence Experiences

If anyone has a YYF Essense, please tell me how you find it.

I’m not nterested in people saying what they ‘imagine’ it plays and feels like. Imagine your way into a different thread please.

4 Likes

I’d imagine it plays similar to the Metavity

2 Likes

Lol. The first reply is based on imagination. Great start.

1 Like

I have a gold Essence and I like how it plays quite a bit. I’m someone who values stability and spin time, and the Essence delivers on both. I can’t really say how “floaty” it is since I don’t know how to measure that. It reminds me a lot of the Unprld Elevation, which might not be helpful to someone who has never played one of those either.

4 Likes

Thanks mate. I’m hoping it would be rock solid rather than floaty. It has nice thick rims, 66g and an optimised hub for centre weight reduction . I’m counting on it hardly being floaty at all.

Hi Glen,

I’ve got one and I really like it. It’s very comfy - and stable - and plays (in my hands - I’m only just starting Advanced Part 2 on the YYE ladder) as well as anything else I have. It’s pretty much the ideal shape imho and I ended up getting a metavity because I liked it that much and later an Alliance from YYfriends/Pucket because it looked similar. And I’ve passed on other throws like the Mowl Heterogeneity because it looks also super comfy but just too similar to the Essence. Not sure if the gap is identical between the Metavity and the Essence, but I found the Essence had a better bind experience with “normal” weight string than the Metavity (which I found grabby even with that same “Normal” string).

I haven’t read this from anyone else, but the Essense I got new from YYE does have a bit more vibe than most yoyos that I’ve got in the last couple of years, but as most people seem to agree, that’s more of an aesthetic issue than anything performance related. I’ve considered getting a second one because I really like the way the gold one looks.

Bottom line, for me, it plays exactly the way I was expecting from looking at the photos and I bet that same experience follows for more experienced players.

Wish you were local and I’d loan you mine. By now I’m sure someone has offered to send you one of theirs.

5 Likes

Have a teal one. It’s rocky, nowhere near some of the rockiest throws i’ve ever thrown (Dread G anyone?), but definitely there. Doesn’t really like to move that fast, more resistant than standard to direction changes, still has a flow to it that I wouldn’t really classify as rocky. Can’t say I take it out of my drawer a ton though.

4 Likes

Thanks, guys! It seems its as I suspected. Solid and dependable, just how I like it.

1 Like

I have an essence. In my experience it plays heavy and it is powerful. I wouldn’t consider it floaty. If you get one make sure to use thick string because in my experience it doesn’t have tight binds.

3 Likes

FWIW, I just weighed mine and it is 65.7g (string is not part of that measurement).

As for what MarioMaker just said, it is a YYF yoyo and so it comes with their white pads which are not terribly grippy, but they do last quite a long time. I have found that whenever I want a YYF yoyo to have snappier binds, I replace the pads with something softer like ilinx or One Drop pads rather than use thicker string.

6 Likes

I found it to be a little too wide for my tastes, it’s a solid yoyo but I feel like it’s sitting in the middle of the road.

I know you like heavier and solid yoyos, the Essence sits on the borderline where it doesn’t want to be too heavy/dense to not be palatable to the majority of the yoyo crowd. However with that heft it does have, I didn’t find it to be notable in terms of spin time or stability compared to yoyos that are willing to go heavier/narrower. I know you’ve said you like your Bettynova a lot, and you just got a Turning Point Solenoid. If you want to dial that feeling back a bit to get something just a bit more maneuverable, something that feels a bit lighter, maybe the Essence is going to be to your liking. If you just want a yoyo with a round fat-rimmed feel in the hand you’ll like the Essence.

I’d rather play a Bettynova or Solenoid.

3 Likes

The Essence is on sale here at YYE right now for only $30. That’s a pretty good deal if you ask me.

2 Likes

What you’re looking for is the YYF Sugar. I have both and the Sugar has just a bit more umph in my opinion. Larger diameter similar weight. Essance is great but I think the Sugar is closer to what you want.

4 Likes

Would you say it’s worth owning both a Metavity and an Essence?

I’m the wrong guy to ask anything like that question to. :weary: I’m a compulsive hoarder.

To answer hopefully helpfully: I like the raw ti feel and sound of the Metavity, but because the binds seem a little snaggy I tend not to pick it up even though it’s been on my kitchen counter since May when I got it. The Essense was on my kitchen counter for a long time and it was a very regular pick up. It ultimately migrated to my yoyo shelf to make room for some newer things. If you only wanted one, I think I prefer the Essence. But I think the Sugar High might be better than both (to tangent off of @kksimon ).

3 Likes

I totally feel where you’re coming from! I’ve got too much collector in me myself.

I appreciate the input on it, though, that helps me out a lot. Thank you!

1 Like

I have one, it’s a good yoyo. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Similar shape and comfort as a OD Free Solo.

Ok, so I just got an Essence in the mail.

While it doesnt exactly have my ideal playfeel, it’s nonetheless a superbly designed yoyo. Really. I’m a little amazed this yoyo isn’t very popular. Its an example of top Japanese design.

I’m not somebody who gets impressed by yoyos readily or easily.

7 Likes

I had a Free Solo. No doubt it’s a good yoyo, but it wasn’t for me. It’s not at all like the Essence.