General-Yo Essence: A Review

Let me start off by saying that the want for an Essence has been with me a long time, as it has been with a lot of people I’m sure. When Ernie first released images of the prototype, the community was abuzz about a yo-yo that combined the best features from one of the most renowned manufacturers of high-end, dead smooth yo-yos. This all came about when I was first getting back into yo-yoing though, and as such I have never even tried a General-Yo. The more I heard about their smoothness, as well as seeing their prices continuously rise on the BST boards, the more I wanted one for myself. While I could have purchased a Ministar, I’m not a fan of smaller throws, and the Torrent is one of the most prized General-Yos to date, so my chances of obtaining a model that I liked rested in the hope of acquiring an Essence.

After having made the mad dash to acquire one, I anxiously awaited returning home on Monday to receive my new throw. Taking it carefully out of it’s package and setting it aside, I read the little notice that comes with it, stating that this throw is not for persons under the age of 16 years, and while this made me laugh a bit, I believe it also stands testament to the fact that yo-yoing is no longer something only kids do. Anybody who has been hit with a metal yo-yo in the midst of a trick will know why that warning is on there. But I digress. I present to you, the Essence:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1247/37077402.jpg

Specs:

Diameter: 53.8 mm
Width: 43 mm
Weight: 67 g
Gap Size: 4.2 mm
Bearing: C-size General-Yo AIGR bearing
Response: General-Yo Hat Pad - S

Appearance and feel:

The pictures on YYE as well as the ones I post do not do this thing justice. I was originally disappointed having missed the black/blue edition, but now that I have this one I’m not even sure I would trade for one. The blue is a deep, rich color that seems to be either somewhat brighter or somewhat darker than navy blue, depending on the light you’re in. It is a smooth finish though and makes for excellent finger, arm, and palm grinds. There are no flaws, no errors, and no uncomfortable areas. It sits in your hand like a pillow.

Shape and size:

Ordinarily my preference of yo-yos are ones with a more extreme profile. I enjoy many of the v-shaped low-walled yo-yos out there such as the Sasquatch and the Sleipnir, and even the 54’s profile was pushing it. But now that I’ve tried the Essence I can say now that I will no longer hold any more bias against yo-yos of this nature. I have had zero issues with catching the string or pulling off tricks where agility is a necessity. the 53 mm profile is perfect for it. Any larger and it might come back a little bit too hard to the hand, or perform sluggishly; any less and it might not have enough stability or control. The Essence really is the perfect size for it’s dimensions, and I believe that fans of both large and small throws will be pleased with the balance that this model has achieved.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3349/44058929.jpg
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/121/55461210.jpg

Playability and response:

What is there to say here? The yo-yo lived up to my expectations and hopes of trying a General-Yo, and then proceeded to blow them out of the water. it is hard for me to describe the feeling that this thing has along the string. The word “gliding” is so much of an understatement that I’m not sure what would be an appropriate substitute. It flows and turns like water, transferring from string to string with a sense of fluidity that might best be stated as “poetry in motion”. The hat pads are grippy but not too tight, provide safe and secure binds with no excess string, and never snag on a trick with multiple layers. And above all, which might be surprising given it’s 67g weight, the Essence is fast. Granted, any yo-yo can be played like greased lightning, but something about the elements of this particular one demand that it be played on another level. This is not to say that the yo-yo can’t go slow, but rather, if you find yourself wanting to pick up the pace it will happily oblige. I would also not describe it as particularly floaty, but it’s also not heavy enough to the point where you can’t pull off tricks that require several pops. Instead, each time it lands on the string, it lands with authority. I myself am not the most skilled at yo-yoing, so I would love to see what is REALLY capable with this thing in the hands of somebody much better.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5445/59905303.jpg

Summary:

The General-Yo Essence isn’t just the best elements of the General-Yo models. It’s obvious that much thought, time, consideration, and effort went into creating this, and thus embodies the essence of yo-yoing as a whole. It is yet another step in the demonstration of companies striving to produce the absolute best-playing product they can come up with, which is only paralleled by the increasing talent of the players. Ernie’s active role in the community is something every yo-yo maker should aspire to (and thankfully, many do), and it’s clear that he cares a great deal about the quality of his product and how the public reacts to it. If you can get your hands on an Essence, do not let it go.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4464/95301583.jpg

Very well done! And great yoyo from the General.

I got a blue one and I am absolutely loving it! I was a total idiot and scuffed the ano on my second throw. >.> Also, it looks like we got the same black/yellow string. Do you like it? When I used it it felt too thick for my tastes.

The black/yellow string is called a WIP string. I’d have to look at my packaging again but I believe it’s by somebody named Alex Lee. And I like the string for the simple fact that I can’t put a standard string on my yo-yo without burning through it in about 40 minutes. Also the thicker profile makes for tighter binds with less excess. I find it comparable to g-string’s BNC type (my favorite g-string), but it really only works well on yo-yos with a 4+ mm gap. Anything smaller and you’re liable to snag in the middle of some multi-layer tricks, or tricks where the yo-yo has to spin towards the string, such as the part near the end of White Buddha.

It does take some getting used to. I used 100% poly strings almost exclusively for a long time before I finally convinced myself to play with some different types for more than an hour. I do enjoy thinner profiles, but the string quality does make a difference in how smooth it is (for string tricks anyway), and like I said before I got annoyed having to change it out so frequently, lol.

I want to try some Kevlar string on this thing though and see how that goes.