Yoyo-Y Ghost Fire - a pictorial review

I do not have what it takes to offer a worthwhile play review but as this seems to be a bit of an oddity (hardly any mentions here) and it does possess an unusual hidden secret I thought I would favour you all with a little show an’ tell.

It looks fairly conventional: 58mm diameter, 48mm width, steel weight rings, concave bearing, silicone pads, angular and small stepped profile. But… it weighs 83g. Where did that come from ? Easily 15~20g more than you might think. Well there are secrets hidden away.

Unscrew it and there are more bearings (with seats to match). The inner walls (metal BTW) are free to spin entirely separate from the outer rims. This is what makes up the conventional yoyo portion:-

(Very TIE fighter)
So what does this add ? Well, a grind in the centre section isn’t a grind. It will happily sit there, supported on those bearings. Wanna grab it and switch the orientation ? Go ahead. It doesn’t mind. Sounds like something to work with.

There is though An Issue. You need to ensure that those two extra bearings are well balanced in terms of drag. Otherwise in a conventional throw they will begin to rotate differently, set up some wicked oscillations and your mithering over fingernail vibe will look all the more silly.

Is it any good ? I can’t really say. It plays fine to my (low) level and has a few other tricks up its sleeve thay I don’t get from anything else but the extra weight, noise and when those oscillations hit… :flushed:… I find it a nice diversion before picking up something a bit more mainstream.

6 Likes

Thanks for putting this up and for the tear down pics. I was scouring the internet looking for info on this throw. Their own promotional video does a poor job at showing the extra bearings and what that allows for. Sounds like a neat gimmick, I may have to pick one up if for nothing else than the novelty.

1 Like