Yoyo too good? Odd situation.. Hoping I’m not the only one

First off, I haven’t learned any new tricks lately. Just too busy to make a serious effort.

But I have a yoyo with me every day and throw it around here and there and do the tricks I know.

I change the order… change the string type and length, etc.

It is Amazing how just changing from a short thick string to a looong thin string can wake you up and pay attention, lol.

Anyway, I digress. Here is my little problem in question form>

Have you ever had a yoyo that plays so well that it lessens the ‘challenge’ and actually becomes kinda boring?

Here is my example. The Ti Krown yoyo. Probably the very best yoyo that I have ever rolled down any string. It is the closest thing to flawless in my opinion. <> That should be a Great thing, right? Isn’t that what most folks look for? Finding that Grail sorta yoyo? The one that checked all the boxes and seems to literally do the tricks for you?

Or maybe not?

I don’t play at a ‘high’ level. But within the scope of the tricks that I do know. I do those tricks very well. That said, I do have what I call a ‘Rust factor’. Maybe it’s my age? Maybe it’s because I don’t do the same exact tricks every day of the week? … Not sure at the moment. Rust factor is when you don’t do a trick for a week or so and then when you try it again, you miss it a few times before it clicks again.

But I do like to feel that little bit of challenge when doing repeaters… Or trying to hit Spirit Bomb quickly 3 or 4 times in a row. To feel that although I am controlling the yoyo. That the yoyo needs to be precisely directed at every moment to get the trick done.

When I throw the Ti Krown, I hit every trick I try like a Boss! If I know the trick and I throw the trick with the Krown. I hit the trick… fail factor close to zero. My tricks seem to be boring the yoyo.

The downside is I have found the Ti Krown is boring ‘me’, lol.

I Love it. But seldom play it for more than a few minutes before putting it back in the purple pouch and into the metal box.

I didn’t think much about my dilemma until I start throwing my Ti Silver Bullet. A completely different animal than the Krown. The Bullet is an amazing yoyo for the shape. But waaay different than the Ti Krown. When I throw the Bullet, I gotta ‘pay attention’. No auto-success mode. It’s the challenge that actually makes the Bullet more appealing to me.

So… do any of you guys(and girls) actually have a yoyo that is ‘So Good’, that you find yourself ‘not’ throwing it often?

16 Likes

Not necessarily yoyos that play “too good” but in a round about way, I have a similar feeling towards particular yoyos. So I tend to lean more toward softer organic designs.

I do not compete or practice regularly. Maybe one day who knows? But when i started learning tricks in August of 2019, I learned as much as i could as quickly as I could. Now I kinda just flow through several tricks I know to “zone out”

So yea i guess my performance driven yoyos like my banshee ss for example… I do use it. But not as regularly. I actually only pulled it out recently to relearn Rancid milk. The longer spin helped. But I have a lot more fun playing my tishee or my life. It is hard to put into relatable words but those models have a much “chiller” feel when i play them. Something to throw while i am waiting for water to boil in the kitchen

3 Likes

Close I guess, but not really the same thing. I have a tendency where once I find a yo-yo I really really like, I actually throw mostly other stuff. I often feel the need to validate a yoyo’s spot in my collection, so rather than throwing the yo-yo(s) I think are close to perfect I throw other stuff to see if I still need them.

Generally though, i enjoy yo-yos more when they have that effortless feel to them as I can zone in and focus on the act without thinking about the tool.
It’s usually my large diameter, pretty wide with huge catch zone and great stability yet still very agile yo-yos that are near perfect to me.

Still hoping to snag an Artemis in the future too @yoyodoc.

5 Likes

It is totally this way for me as well. I view my yoyos on a spectrum from easy (I have a regular Krown and consider it the fastest yoyo I have) to hard (like the Silver Bullet or Daytona slimline SB). Lately ive been warming up with a hard yoyo so that after 20 minutes or so I can jam out with an easier one.

3 Likes

I believe that in our minds we tend to fantasize about a perfect yoyo. Smooth, stable, fast, beautiful, etc, etc. To each, their own…

When we rationalize something, we leave out the “fun factor”. We think about specific characteristics that are translate into material. But we don’t think about what is very subjective.

And what is fun? Again, to each their own. But let’s compare yoyos to video games or a musical instrument. There are casuals, who like to play on easy mode, chill after work, score a lot. There are players who like to play the hardest mode, in order to have to work very hard in the very specifics of a game.

There are guitarists who like to sit and play Wonderwall 50x in a row. And there are those who just want to be the fastest technically perfect and work their asses off hours in a row…

Probably, there are people who like a yoyo to be THAT perfect as an everyday throw. But maybe there are others who want to play a yoyo that makes them work more… It’s fun, I think, to be challenged. It’s part of the hobby.

I’m not a high level player (REALLY far from that)… it’s just my 2c.

Best!

6 Likes

In a slightly related but unrelated note, I do have yoyos that are so nice I am afraid to use.
And hence the nice yoyos actually don’t get used and it’s ones like the Freehand AL and Memento that is in my hand daily.

4 Likes

I don’t, because I don’t practice enough. But your sentiment regarding the Krown is really interesting. It may bore you, but it makes me want to try it even more.

1 Like

I get it. Mjolnir is my best playing yoyo. That thing is so good that I’m pretty sure I could cut off my non-throw hand and would still look good tossing it around. Yet, I throw my $35-$65 monos 10 times as much as I throw that or any of my other bimetals. I’m not sure how to explain it but they just seem to have more character to them.

3 Likes

I’ve been criticized for suggesting the One Drop Deep State to people because it is narrow, and thus can be harder to do tricks on. Thing is, it forces you to be more exact. It is easier to move from a Deep State to a wider yoyo than the other way around. So while the Ti Krown may be great to have and great for competition, I think I would prefer daily practice on a more difficult yoyo.

4 Likes

I find this hilarious. In your post when you asked the question about a yoyo lessening the challenge and actually becomes boring I immediately thought about my C3 Krown (regular one). Then next sentence you say Ti Krown. Something about that Krown series they are incredible!

Yep, I agree with you. I feel the Krown is like cheating sometimes, which can get a bit boring. But it’s also great if I’m having trouble learning a new trick on a different yo as I can try it with the Krown and usually have better results. Krown is the best 1A yo I have. It might get boring at times but I’ll never get rid of it.

6 Likes

Yes, I sell every single one of them and only the “bad” yoyos remain. Kidding but actually not kidding.

4 Likes

Great points here. This is exactly why I love the Phidias, beyond the fact that it is a tremendous throw in its own right. I love that it forces me to be better.

3 Likes

I find myself using yo-yos that are slightly responsive to make a trick like Kwijibo more of a challenge. Pulling off the same combo was harder, and offers a little reward. Kind of like raising the difficulty level on a video game maybe.

4 Likes