Yoyo to replace my Shutter

I got the Shutter as a present (I had a 201 when I was a younger, and I knew the basics and some picture tricks), and I’ve been practicing a lot, getting better slowly, falling in love with yoyoing, but a few days ago it fell to the depths of the ocean… (“let me try your yoyo” they said, “it’s not like I’m gonna drop it”, they said).

The most difficult trick I know right now is the Figure 8 (the rest of tricks I know are reaaally basic)

So well, here I am, about to buy a new yoyo, and I would like a little help if you can :smiley:
After playing with a metal yoyo, going back to plastic is not an option, so I’m looking towards buying something more expensive, around a 100$ maximum.

So what should I buy?, what are your recomendations? Should I buy a bi-metal yoyo, like de iYoYo Steel or the Firrox, or a High-End metal one?

I have rather big hands, so their size won’t be a problem.

Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

I would get another shutter! I have one that I throw ALL THE TIME. It’s a little beat, so I’ve been thinking about getting another one. I have more expensive yoyos too; but, for some reason I keep throwing the shutter…

one of those superstars that are on sale for $50 would also be choice! Superstar Classic

I have a bit of a One Drop fetish… pretty much any OD would make my short list also.

I think instead of buying 1 expensive yo yo you should buy 2 budget metals.  For the most part budget metals play just as well as their more expensive brothers.  If you get 2 yo yo you can get some with radically different designs.  I would recommend…

http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/40/YYF-Superstar-Classic
http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/1315/YOYOFFICER-Imp

… and that would leave you enough left over to get some string, and lube.

Thanks for the answers ;D

Both of you recommed the Superstar, so I will take a look. As for the strings and lube, I already have, and regarding price, don’t worry, it could be like 120 or 130 no problem.

I’ll think about buying two yoyos too!

I’ll second pretty much anything by One Drop…I only have a couple of them, but I think they are going to be getting a lot of my yoyo budget over the next, mmmm…2-3 years. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The Vanguard is great, and the Benchmark V 2014, too. Although I personally really want a Summit.

Yeah, you can’t go wrong with another Shutter! I got mine dirt cheap off the BST here on YYE. It’s dinged and scuffed a bit from the previous owner, which makes it a perfect everyday carry. I love mine and I would not think twice about buying another one brand-new. You should also check out the Too Hot and the Horizon, which are also in the same price range as the Shutter. The Too Hot in particular is very well liked by folks here on the forums and I intend on picking one up someday. One Drops are fantastic as well and an extremely good value for a quality USA made yoyo.

I’ll 2nd the TooHOT… I got mine back during the prototype release and it’s ridiculously stable. One of my favorites for sure. The sharp edges can be a little hard on your hand when you catch though.

I’ve never thrown a horizon. I find it interesting though.

I like the sounds of anyone who discloses they have ‘big hands’ trying a Horizon. The stability and power make it special and if you can handle the size… no brainer.

1 Like

I lurv the too hot.
I would get that and something else.

But, I would also say you need a classic.
Everyone should have one, and it’s a great benchmark for any other plastic out there.

Thank you all for your answers, I am really glad so many people saw this thread

I have news! The friend of mine who lost my Shutter has bought another one!

Now that I have my beloved Shutter back, do your recommendations change? Should I still buy two budget metals or should I buy just one Bi-Metal?

YoYoFactory Horizon does it all

I’d say go for two budget metals. It’s better to get a variety of very different throws so that you can find out your preferences (so perhaps throw some different shapes and sizes in for consideration as well like the new boss or some of OD’s benchmark series).

Horizon and TooHOT are both so nutty and so inexpensive.