YoYo tension during extended play

Hey,

This is going to be a very basic question… i have a yoyofactory edge and been slowly learning to throw over 8 months or so.

I know how to get rid of string tension, however whenever i watch performances at not point do they stop to ‘explictly’ get rid of tension. So what are they do mid perfomance to account for tension and remove it?

Or are they basing their whole performance on the fact as the perfomance goes on, they are less likely to be able to perform slack string tricks?

Feels like i have to stop every 30secs to get rid of tension, so cant really freeflow too much :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

There exist tricks that even out string tension which can be applied to trick combos. Most of the time during performances when players do not adjust you usually see them pick up their back up yoyo.

2 Likes

Thanks - what tricks would they be?

1 Like

It really depends on what hand you play with and level of yoyo. Finger spins are a great way to adjust on a unresponsive, while UFO can fix your string on a responsive. Gyroscopic Flop tricks are a great way to adjust your string also! There are a lot of great videos out there to teach different ways to adjust string tension. Here is a link to Dylan’s video which is one of my favorite ways to adjust string if I am in a situation where finger spinning is not an option.

1 Like

If you are having to adjust your string ever 30 seconds than it most likely is due to the string quality or you might be a short stature player. The shorter the string length is the more you have to adjust string tension. Try playing on longer string, and if you are short, play on top of ledges that give you two feet or more space so you don’t ding your throw. Here is a link to my favorite strings to play on. Trust me when I say it is the most bang you’ll get for your buck.

1 Like

I believe switching out yo-yos during a freestyle causes a point deduction. I don’t think any players do this to compensate for string tension. It’d make more sense just to correct the tension on the Yoyo they were using.

2 Likes

I was not referring to them doing this as a means of compensating for string tension. The swap happens due to their string tension jamming/knotting/causing issues with the yoyo.

1 Like

Dylan’s video has been great help… thanks!

Although I need to make sure i understand why sometimes it was getting tighter when doing it…

1 Like

Well the thing is every trick changes your string tension depending on what movements the yoyo makes. Test this by doing the same trick over and over again and seeing where your tension ends up. Some tricks are going to make your tension looser and some are going to make your string tension tighter. If you were to make a routine you should keep in mind which tricks tighten and which tricks loosen your string tension so that you can make sure it doesn’t get too tight or too loose in play. It really shouldn’t be too much of a problem, though, because as you get better at slacks you won’t need to have perfect tension to execute them. If you’re worrying about it though then I’d suggest doing all of your tough slacks in the beginning or your freestyle.

2 Likes

Sometime it can be chalked up to which direction the string was twisted in when made. Every now & then I get a string in my bunch that do the opposite of what it normally does. playing left my string usually gets looser as I play. I eventually run into one that tightens, and I know it was made with the strings twisted in the opposite direction as to normal(Clockwise). This usually doesn’t bother me but will make it hard to adjust the string the way Dylan showed in the video.

1 Like