String Tension Help

I have a general question about string tension during longer tricks. I know of a few ways to adjust the string tension during play, without having to take the string off my finger. I see many videos of lengthy tricks, with multiple ‘pops’ in between, and I never see the player adjusting the string tension. Is there a way to keep the string tension constant during longer tricks? I find that I will do two or three tricks, and when I am doing a set, my string tension will always change, so when I get to a kwijibo or spirit bomb, the ‘pops’ will tangle up. Again, I see a lot of videos were guys are doing ‘pops’ everywhere during their tricks, but never seem to have to adjust their tension. I feel like I have to adjust mine every couple of tricks… Thanks in advance for your advice!!

That’s what happens to me. I don’t know if this will help, but if your yo-yo is dead and it has very tight string tension, just spin it to the right, and it will loosen the string. It’s the opposite if you spin it to the left.

This use to always happen to me, but it doesn’t happen anymore like it use to.

But this could be happening for a few different reasons. I think you should just practice holding your string tension when you’re in the middle of combos, freestyles, etc.

Another thing you could do is in the middle of a freestyle, throw a side winder in the middle of it to adjust your string tension.

Yes, this is very strange. My brother is a beginner, and his string tension always gets so bad every two or three tricks. However, I’m a more experienced player, and I hardly ever adjust my string tension. He doesn’t overuse his yo-yo or anything, and I honestly don’t know what happens. My theory is that the more you practice and the better you get, the string tension won’t become as bad. Again, this is just my theory.

If you mess up during a trick, most of the time the yoyo starts spinning sideways, and the string is getting wound up, so that’s why beginners have a lot of problems with string tension. Just like doing a UFO or lariat, you are adjusting the tension without realizing it.