Yoyo Rotates When Sleeping

As the title says. My yoyo will slowly rotate while it is sleeping. Making some of the tricks difficult to do. Can anyone tell me why it is doing that, and how do I make it stop?

1 Like

What yoyo are you using? What kind of bearing does it have?

The phenomenon you are experiencing is called precession, and most of the time it is the result of throws that aren’t as straight and forceful as they could be. Also, some types of bearings can induce this more than others.

4 Likes

I am currently using YYF Whip. I don’t know what kind of bearing it has. Not a straight throw could possibly be the problem then. Unless it is a bearing issue.

I’d remove the string and check the loop area just in case there’s a stray thread or something that’s causing it, but yeah precession is generally due to the yoyo being thrown at a slight tilt which causes one side to rub against the string slightly.

Responsive yoyos with narrower string gaps seem to be more prone to it due to their nature, but you’ll perfect your throwing technique more rapidly that way!

Ivan

3 Likes

Can I uncrew the yoyo to check, or will that cause a problem? On YouTube they said it would cause a problem, but I have seen them do it also without a problem. Go figure? :confused:

3 Likes

I would never hesitate to unscrew if needed. Just be careful putting it back together, and if you feel any resistance while reassembling it, unscrew and make sure you don’t strip it.

I had a bad tilt in my throws for probably four or five months. It works it’s way out, but it also forces you to be more precise on your tricks due to shorter sleep times. Eventually this benefits you.

Try landing it on a Trapeze and adjusting the tilt before going into anything complex. This video has some good info even for people who have lots of practice throwing:

2 Likes

Shouldn’t be an issue, the WHiP can handle it

4 Likes

OK. That sounds good. I will try that, and see what I get.

4 Likes

I’m betting the string is pinched in the bearing seat. I’ve had plenty of Whips and they tent to throw really really good. $5 or not, Whip is a really good yo-yo.

Unscrew, remove the string, reassemble and lastly put the string on.

The Whip is also my choice for give away yo-yo. You can throw a full size C bearing in it for completely unresponsive play.

Good luck.

5 Likes

Yeah as other said, 99% it’s because a non-straight throw. Does it always lean towards the same side? If yes it’s 100% a non-straight throw. It is totally normal at the beginning, try to overadjust your throw (if it’s leaning left, throw it slightly inclined to the right), you’ll find the sweet spot. Also, you’ll learn to adjust the tilting on a trapeze or basically on every mount, advanced players keep adjusting the tilting while playing

5 Likes

The Whip definitely requires a little finesse to keep it on plane. I wouldn’t worry about it too much and just work on keeping your string segments in line. If you push the string against the wall in the opposite direction of the rotation, it will correct itself. Also, if you just start doing tricks, most of the time, the momentum will help straighten it out.

Side note: I love the Whip. It’s such a fun semi-responsive player.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your help. It did turn out to be my throw. I guess it was too wonky. It is cleared up now.

5 Likes